• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
polluxx66

Attack-X Canadian National championship

Interesting. I'm in Red Deer, but I am so new to Guild Ball I had no idea there was a Canadian National Qualifier here in 2016. Man... I wish I had picked up on this game earlier... I would have totally been there! (getting my butt kicked ... but a part of it!!! ) :P 

9 hours ago, Wallied said:

32 people last year in Red Deer.  20 this year.   8 for Southern Ontario Open and most of those were American.  Yeah, I think we keep it out west.  Way bigger Canadian player base, more pundits, larger cons to be a part of.

Event was very well run, venue was great and easy to get to. Food and drink on site, plus a bar with more food and drink.  I'd rotate it between these guys, Wet Coast and Grots every year if I was Steamforged.   The East hasn't shown real Guildball interest.   Where we get 20 for random events out here.

For the record, as a Regional Qualifier there was a qualifier series into the finals. So the finals was 8, but there were 20+ people in the two tournaments on Friday/Saturday. Before you try to knock your fellow Canadians please at least attempt to understand how things actually went.

A valid counterpoint is that Eastern Canadians do have easier access to American events, which is fair from a number of events point of view. That being said, having the championships rotate between East and West, even at a 2:1 West/East ratio is way more equitable than basically just telling everyone east of Saskatchewan to go f themselves.

8 hours ago, CodFather said:

Wasn't there only like 10ish this year at grotscon?

I think he's talking about last year: https://www.tiebreak.co.uk/the-grots-cup-western-canadian-sfg-guild-ball-world-finals-qualifier/standings

Lotta round one drops, but technically it was 32 people.

The dream, I would think, is to have popularity soar so that you could have championships Local > Provincial > Western/Eastern Regional > Canadian National... with the potential to rotate locations from the Provincial level and up. We definitely have to figure out a scheme to get us some awesome cross-Canada sponsorship that would award major airline travel vouchers to get the winners to the next event without having to spend thousands of dollars to go across county. (At this point East coming West or West going East..for a 2-3 day event.... is going to cost as much as a week,  all-inclusive, at one of the more economic resorts someplace warm :P )

26 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

I had a half baked dream of a qualifying series, but the airfare is a major concern. Plus the apparent East/West animosity.

I guess we canadians should build our own Berlin Wall in Kitchener so we can have a clear East-Canada vs West-Canada split...

12 hours ago, Wallied said:

32 people last year in Red Deer.  20 this year.   8 for Southern Ontario Open and most of those were American.  Yeah, I think we keep it out west.  Way bigger Canadian player base, more pundits, larger cons to be a part of.

Event was very well run, venue was great and easy to get to. Food and drink on site, plus a bar with more food and drink.  I'd rotate it between these guys, Wet Coast and Grots every year if I was Steamforged.   The East hasn't shown real Guildball interest.   Where we get 20 for random events out here.

Wow, this is such nonsense and terrible reasoning. 

2 hours ago, Frostmane said:

A valid counterpoint is that Eastern Canadians do have easier access to American events, which is fair from a number of events point of view. That being said, having the championships rotate between East and West, even at a 2:1 West/East ratio is way more equitable than basically just telling everyone east of Saskatchewan to go f themselves.

I support this 

sask can wait a year if you guys think you can get a large enough event 

otherwise we'll host 

i can foresee a large sask event happening anyways but it doesn't have to be tied to nationals ;)

5 hours ago, CrazyBlaine said:

I support this 

sask can wait a year if you guys think you can get a large enough event 

otherwise we'll host 

i can foresee a large sask event happening anyways but it doesn't have to be tied to nationals ;)

I feel like you support both the reasonable part AND telling us to go F ourselves, and I'm ok with that.

I'll just have to qualify for US Nats, then win US Nats, then beat you at worlds, because honestly Toronto doesn't win enough as it is

How many spots do Americans get at worlds? Is Canada big enough to justify an east and a west champion both go to worlds. Literally cheaper for me to go to most places in the state's than to go to eastern Canada.

29 minutes ago, Dirt Rey said:

How many spots do Americans get at worlds? Is Canada big enough to justify an east and a west champion both go to worlds. Literally cheaper for me to go to most places in the state's than to go to eastern Canada.

We get one.

All the US regionals are over, so your only chance at getting into Worlds on the US end is to show up to SteamCon, place top 10 in the LCQ, and then win US nationals.

America has one this year at Steamcon. We will never see east and west, unless we somehow as a community agree to have east and west champions and then find a way to have them meet for the finals (for the record I would 100% coordinate this if we were allowed to do it)  

9 hours ago, skcpae said:

Can't we all just compromise and meet in Winnipeg or something? It's way more central, easier for east and west to get to and at the very least, we can ALL be upset that we had to go Winnipeg together. ;)

Please not in Winnipeg.  I have heard you have mosquitoes as big as helicopters out there in the summer and snow deeper than a house 😀.

2 hours ago, Frostmane said:

America has one this year at Steamcon. We will never see east and west, unless we somehow as a community agree to have east and west champions and then find a way to have them meet for the finals (for the record I would 100% coordinate this if we were allowed to do it)  

I love this idea.  The only way to have a truly national representation and equitable shot at the crown. 

East and West qualifier type series. East champion and West champion face off at Steamcon. In an absolute pinch they could face off on vassal.  

Most of my group would be hard pressed to travel East just like you are hard pressed to travel west. 

We cannot have an east west animosity if we want to sway SFG to a dual championship. 

I am curious how US nationals is working as National championship is at steam con. Will the winner of US nationals be reimbursed?  

6 hours ago, polluxx66 said:

I love this idea.  The only way to have a truly national representation and equitable shot at the crown. 

East and West qualifier type series. East champion and West champion face off at Steamcon. In an absolute pinch they could face off on vassal.  

Most of my group would be hard pressed to travel East just like you are hard pressed to travel west. 

We cannot have an east west animosity if we want to sway SFG to a dual championship. 

I am curious how US nationals is working as National championship is at steam con. Will the winner of US nationals be reimbursed?  

Most of the people that care are already going, but I wouldn't be surprised if the US champ won airfare to next year's Steamcon or something.

As for Canada I wouldn't want to see it happen on Vassal, but if Steamcon US continues to be a thing, as I'm sure it will, then having a best 2/3 or something would be a fun event, though then it's not actually happening *in* Canada, which is awkward

5 minutes ago, Totes McAwesome said:

How are you being ignored by Steamforge? 

I think this is a bit of hyperbole around the fact that both Nationals so far have been in the westernmost two pronvinces

28 minutes ago, Totes McAwesome said:

How are you being ignored by Steamforge? 

Consiering how all the complaints have been targetted at how the national championships have, so far, ignored the fact that over half of the country's population lives in te Quebec-Windsor bassin, I didn't think I needed to elaborate any further...

But yeah, it's just as Frostmane said..

Does the population equate across the player base?   Saskatoon gets 12-20 for almost every tournament they run.  I'd argue they are the largest meta in the country (and probably most talented).   It's still a 20 hour drive to Nationals, so it's not like it's  next door.   It's as expensive for us in the prairies to come out east as out west.   

Otherwise,  won't we need to start alternating everything?  Whatever the SOO was should be out west this year, next year Steamcon should be out west, etc.

49 minutes ago, Wallied said:

Does the population equate across the player base?   Saskatoon gets 12-20 for almost every tournament they run.  I'd argue they are the largest meta in the country (and probably most talented).   It's still a 20 hour drive to Nationals, so it's not like it's  next door.   It's as expensive for us in the prairies to come out east as out west.   

Otherwise,  won't we need to start alternating everything?  Whatever the SOO was should be out west this year, next year Steamcon should be out west, etc.

If the US is doing a regional qualifier system next year (not 100% sure it will) I would fully support that qualifier being in the Western provinces, and would help campaign on your behalf.

I think that the player base is definitely better out West, but I also think that it's reasonable to say that the player base is at best 2:1 West to East, and as the first two nationals have been West it is most equitable to have it East next year, and then return to the West next year. I think that to do otherwise would kill any competitive play West of Saskatchewan, or at least create some deeply hurt feelings.

I think that arguing about talent isn't especially germane to this discussion either, and would prefer to come up with a plan that doesn't fall into making snide remarks about people in various parts of the country.

58 minutes ago, Totes McAwesome said:

But is that down to steamforge themselves. I don't know how the location is decided?  I thought that you apply to host the nationals and it goes from there? 

From my understanding of the process this hasn't been the case, but if it has it's been entirely secretive.

1 hour ago, Wallied said:

I think what ever the SOO was this year was also confusing to people. Why was there a US nationals qualifier in Canada. That might have been SFG attempt to do a service Eastern players. If so it was awfully strange. 

Maybe the next Nationals could be held in Paris or London, ON, so as to confuse the f* out of everyone outside of Canada... (Too bad we no longer have a Berlin anymore)

West or East... it matters not... Next year I'm going to try and get to wherever it's happening and will be glad to have my ass handed to me by all of you. :)  

40 minutes ago, polluxx66 said:

I think what ever the SOO was this year was also confusing to people. Why was there a US nationals qualifier in Canada. That might have been SFG attempt to do a service Eastern players. If so it was awfully strange. 

It's also because it was a large event that was accessible to upstate NY and Michigan where there may not have been a larger US event.