polluxx66

Attack-X Canadian National championship

Attack-X is a week and half away.  Buy your ticket now.  The main event is is Canadian Nationals. The winner gets an expenses paid trip to Chicago for the Guildball World Championships. 

In addition to Nationals there is a three round tournament Friday and team event Sunday.  Sign up on Tiebreak as well. 

http://www.attack-x.com

https://www.tiebreak.co.uk/guild-ball-world-cup-qualifier-canada-attack-x-2017/feed

Location disappoints me. Clear across the country. Somewhere more centralized and easier to access would be better to make it a true national event for everyone. We are the second largest country on the planet after all. 

2 hours ago, Toqtamish said:

Location disappoints me. Clear across the country. Somewhere more centralized and easier to access would be better to make it a true national event for everyone. We are the second largest country on the planet after all. 

Considering that last year's was in Calgary, every national's so far has taken place in the western provinces...

Considering that 68% of canadians live east of Manitoba according to the 2016 census, that's a huge portion of the country that's being ignored.

Hell, it's quicker for me to fly from Montreal to London than it is for me to fly to Kamloops. I guess next year I shouldn't even consider our nationals and just fly to the british ones instead... Or just go to the SOO and hope I can qualify for the US Nationals.

5 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Considering that last year's was in Calgary, every national's so far has taken place in the western provinces...

Considering that 68% of canadians live east of Manitoba according to the 2016 census, that's a huge portion of the country that's being ignored.

Hell, it's quicker for me to fly from Montreal to London than it is for me to fly to Kamloops. I guess next year I shouldn't even consider our nationals and just fly to the british ones instead... Or just go to the SOO and hope I can qualify for the US Nationals.

Exactly. I'm in Nova Scotia. Or we have East/West events of some kind maybe. 

On 9/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, Toqtamish said:

Exactly. I'm in Nova Scotia. Or we have East/West events of some kind maybe. 

Eastern Canada winner vs Western Canada winner at the World Championships opening round. Woot!

On 2017-09-14 at 4:24 PM, MilitaryCoo said:

Deeply disappointed in the schedule for this -- 11am start with 5 rounds and only 15 minutes between each?  Gamers need to eat and at least breathe between games :(

Where should my ire be directed?

Aww man don't be salty you played great. 

This country of ours is vast and unfortunately no matter where the event is held... some will be left out due to the expense and distance. Can probably get a flight from the West to the UK for the same money as getting to the East Coast of our own nation. (How sad is that?)

Having said that... if I can improve my game... I might feel at least comfortable enough to make a trip to next year's nationals and have enough time to save the $$$ to do so... no matter where they are held. I had considered the relatively short drive to Attack-X in Kelowna (8 Hours for me) this year... but damn... I just need some more play time. :) 

3 hours ago, CrazyBlaine said:

Aww man don't be salty you played great. 

Not sure if this is being said in jest, but his post is dated Posted Thursday at 06:24 PM, so he's definitely not complaining about his performance...

And I have to agree, now that I've taken a look at it, that it was a severely cramped one. 11h straight, with a mere 15 minutes between rounds? When do players get to eat? What can they eat (apparently, food/drinks from outside sources isn't allowed on site)?

I'm diabetic, so the idea of spending all that time without ever being allowed to take a food break would have been, to put it mildly, impractical...

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Not sure if this is being said in jest, but 

This ^^

the event found most players in the bar in between rounds

lots of time in between rounds if you didn't use clock as a resource which is perfect. I think there never needs to be a "lunch break" in the schedule for any event. It makes a long day only longer. But everyone has their opinions.

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

I'm diabetic, so the idea of spending all that time without ever being allowed to take a food break would have been, to put it mildly, impractical...

And how! That's a damn good way of ending up on the floor partway through, between the heavy schedule and the ban on bringing yourself snacks!

Do they have a rule in place so anyone having to be brought round from a hypo because they didn't get time to eat gets a bunch of VP? (one of the only ways I'd win a tournament match :D )

I'd be smuggling something in to keep my sugars normal. =) I'm sure in the case of a medical condition the venue would have made an exception. Definitely something that tournament organizers may want to be aware of in case of emergency as well.

1 hour ago, Malritch said:

I'd be smuggling something in to keep my sugars normal. =) I'm sure in the case of a medical condition the venue would have made an exception. Definitely something that tournament organizers may want to be aware of in case of emergency as well.

Snacks and things like that were okay to bring in.  The pizza place/snack bar was open all day and there was water available from them and the pub when they opened at 4.  You could bring your water bottle there and fill it as opposed to buying all the time. 

The point was to support the pub and pizza place instead of going off site and eating food in front of their businesses. 

We kept it going at a good pace.  Most people had plenty of time after their games no one went hungry Those who did have games go long had food delivered to them,  and we were doing awards by 9:30. 

CrazyBlaine if it is in Saskatoon I am there I need closure after I defeated myself against you in deployment.  You played great and took advantage of every of the many mistakes I made.  I haven't been 12-0 in a long time. 

Here is my little wrap up the event

I want to thank everyone for making this a fantastic event.  19 people throwing dice and having a great time. 

Congratulations to Blaine Dobson.  We all wish you the best of luck in Chicago at Worlds in December.  Represent Canada well down there. 

Player

Team

Blaine Dobson

Hunters

Owen Bell

The Union

Colten Svennes

The Union

Sam Cameron

The Union

Cam Johnson

Butchers

Benjamin Byers

The Union

Darren Wachnuk

Fishermen

Kellen - Spigman

Brewers

Taylor Kew

Alchemists

David McGrath

Alchemists

Paul Sabourin-Hertzog

Engineers

Jeremy Kralt

The Union

Wallie Desruisseaux

Fishermen

Bernie Anderson

Fishermen

Gord King

Brewers

Derek Taylor

Hunters

Chris Farrer

Hunters

Joshua King

Hunters

Joel Daley

Butchers

https://www.tiebreak.co.uk/guild-ball-world-cup-qualifier-canada-attack-x-2017/standings

21706875_1452524311501699_1991696702_o.jpg

21751357_727986887392532_2791938209554445940_n.jpg

21463097_727986917392529_7933731713208022030_n.jpg

7 hours ago, CrazyBlaine said:

No way punks 

Saskatchewan is hosting next years tournament so plan yer flights ;)

If it's in Saskatchewan next year I'm getting the (cheaper) ticket to Stockport to hold a one man protest.

So, 5 Union, 4 Hunter's yet no Mason's or Mortician's (or Blacksmith's or Farmer's, but these two don't really count) ?

At least Hunter's won the Canadian title. They're the one guild which best represent the frozen north... 

Looks like it was a blast! =) Congratulations to all of the contestants...and especially the winner!  Maybe next year someone will stream the event... that would very cool as well!

32 people last year in Red Deer.  20 this year.   8 for Southern Ontario Open and most of those were American.  Yeah, I think we keep it out west.  Way bigger Canadian player base, more pundits, larger cons to be a part of.

Event was very well run, venue was great and easy to get to. Food and drink on site, plus a bar with more food and drink.  I'd rotate it between these guys, Wet Coast and Grots every year if I was Steamforged.   The East hasn't shown real Guildball interest.   Where we get 20 for random events out here.