Steamforged

Mortician GIC Theory Thread

One of the strong advantages of this card that people seem to over look is that you can control if and when it's triggered. Several of the others have a clause that relies on your opponent doing something and therefore in certain match ups it will have a decreased or 0 use.

For example..

Farmers - requires your model to be taken out... Good luck ever using that against Shark.

Blacksmiths - a model has to be KD.. Highly unlikely against Football orientated teams and probably Morticians some Union.

Masons - your opponent has to charge and you have to have momentum to spend on triggering the clause. Also reduced value as the game progresses. 

Killing Memory under Strongbox's aura was always a favorite move of mine so much MP if you push to the aura then kill for 2 MP just cause you can. 

I also kind of like this Guild identity card because I've been focusing hard on Veteran Graves and the bonus VP's now it just got even more rewarding. Though real question where are we measuring the 4inches from? The taken out model or the model that inflicted taken out?

I main Union and would definitely take this card over The currently available Union GIC. So there's that.

I hope we get 3-5 GIC's for every guild I'm more excited for these then plot cards that I constantly forget about 

On 9/2/2017 at 5:50 PM, Melos said:

Though real question where are we measuring the 4inches from? The taken out model or the model that inflicted taken out?

From the model suffering the taken out condition.  There is no mention of a friendly model on the card,  and enemy  models can be taken out without a friendly model being involved. 

17 hours ago, MilitaryCoo said:

From the model suffering the taken out condition.  There is no mention of a friendly model on the card,  and enemy  models can be taken out without a friendly model being involved. 

So the model it taken out by being pushed off the pitch? Where do you measure from? Or does it not work then?

1 minute ago, The Old Buzzard said:

So the model it taken out by being pushed off the pitch? Where do you measure from? Or does it not work then?

It wouldn't do anything then since no one is within 4" of a model that's off the pitch.

So, if I'm reading 'Death Comes For All' correctly, the Spooks score a VP if 3 players are taken out by the end of the turn, regardless of which team those players are from?

3 Morticians = 1 VP

3 Opposition = 1 VP

1 Mortician, 2 Opposition  or 2 Mortician, 1 Opposition = 1 VP

Correct?

(and as an aside, does Memory count for this?)

I'm finding both these new cards a little confusing. So DCFA I guess 3 players (from either side combined?) have to have been taken out that turn, since the taken out condition is removed in the next maintenance phase? 

For Near Death, the wording is a big clunky but I'm assuming you get to do both actions on take a breather? 

18 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

For Near Death, the wording is a big clunky but I'm assuming you get to do both actions on take a breather? 

I thought it meant you could use it twice on a single player, once for conditions and once more for healing. I could be wrong tho!

23 minutes ago, Mako said:

I thought it meant you could use it twice on a single player, once for conditions and once more for healing. I could be wrong tho!

It really should just say that then;

"Friendly Guild models that use Take a Breather! may spend an additional momentum to both recover [3] hp and remove all conditions, instead of choosing one benefit."

Similarly, if the intention is what Redtiger7 thought, it should be worded something like;

"Friendly Guild models that use Take a Breather! both recover [3] hp and remove all conditions, instead of choosing one benefit."

True. This then;

"Friendly Guild models may use Take a Breather! twice in a turn. Each time they must select a different benefit."

I'm game for a design job, SFG. ;)

Near death experience are we sure it just isn't enabling mort's to get both of the benefits for 1 cost? Because I cant see the use in healing moving and at the end of my activation clearing conditions for an additional MP. 

If they wanted to be clear, they could also have worded it to state that you could use Take a Breather once per turn to remove conditions, and could also use it once per turn to heal.  Something like, "Friendly Guild models may use Take a Breather! to remove all conditions once per turn and may also use Take a Breather! to recover [3] Hit Points once per turn."

27 minutes ago, Melos said:

Near death experience are we sure it just isn't enabling mort's to get both of the benefits for 1 cost? Because I cant see the use in healing moving and at the end of my activation clearing conditions for an additional MP. 

How about spending your one momentum from going second to clear Burning/Snared/Knockdown so you can move to engage and generate more momentum, then heal once you have more momentum?  Or, if you needed to heal prior to engaging because a counter attack or parting blow or Minefield or what have you could be lethal, but then you could still spend a momentum to clear KD from the counterattack?  Perhaps a corner case, but there is some flexibility here that is valuable.  Not as straight powerful as the efficiency of getting 2 effects for the price of 1, but still a benefit.

51 minutes ago, Coach Z said:

If they wanted to be clear, they could also have worded it to state that you could use Take a Breather once per turn to remove conditions, and could also use it once per turn to heal.  Something like, "Friendly Guild models may use Take a Breather! to remove all conditions once per turn and may also use Take a Breather! to recover [3] Hit Points once per turn."

150% as many words as my suggestion, and still not perfectly clear that those are separate instances of TAB. :P 

52 minutes ago, Coach Z said:

How about spending your one momentum from going second to clear Burning/Snared/Knockdown so you can move to engage and generate more momentum, then heal once you have more momentum?  Or, if you needed to heal prior to engaging because a counter attack or parting blow or Minefield or what have you could be lethal, but then you could still spend a momentum to clear KD from the counterattack?  Perhaps a corner case, but there is some flexibility here that is valuable.  Not as straight powerful as the efficiency of getting 2 effects for the price of 1, but still a benefit.

Exactly this.

Death Comes for All...

Get Brainpan killed. Get Greede killed. Get Dirge killed or kill him yourself with AoEs. Leave them off the table.

Put the ball on Obulus. Run like hell and ship the clock hard and fast. Profit?

I mean you're down 4VP and an activation, plus you've cut out some of Brainpan's and Avarisse's cards effectively. Probably not worth it.

27 minutes ago, Siberys said:

I mean you're down 4VP and an activation, plus you've cut out some of Brainpan's and Avarisse's cards effectively. Probably not worth it.

You're down 3VP, right? 2 for Greede and 1 for Dirge? Bring down an activation is the biggest disadvantage, followed shortly after by Avarisse losing out. I do like though that you can bring back both Brainpan and Dirge outside of the normal rules.

18 hours ago, Fujin said:

You're down 3VP, right? 2 for Greede and 1 for Dirge? Bring down an activation is the biggest disadvantage, followed shortly after by Avarisse losing out. I do like though that you can bring back both Brainpan and Dirge outside of the normal rules.

How do you bring Brainpan back  "outside the normal rules"?  Do you mean Memory?

On 9/10/2017 at 5:06 AM, The Old Buzzard said:

How do you bring Brainpan back  "outside the normal rules"?  Do you mean Memory?

You don't, I'm just bad at Guild Ball. Didn't realise there was no "may" clause on Brainpan's card.

And the whole way through this discussion where I've been saying Brainpan, I should have been saying Memory. Le sigh.

So do we have any theorised or practiced conclusions for these?

32 minutes ago, Fujin said:

You don't, I'm just bad at Guild Ball. Didn't realise there was no "may" clause on Brainpan's card.

And the whole way through this discussion where I've been saying Brainpan, I should have been saying Memory. Le sigh.

So do we have any theorised or practiced conclusions for these?

The Mort cards have the best names of all the cards by far. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:54 AM, Cassaralla said:

So, if I'm reading 'Death Comes For All' correctly, the Spooks score a VP if 3 players are taken out by the end of the turn, regardless of which team those players are from?

3 Morticians = 1 VP

3 Opposition = 1 VP

1 Mortician, 2 Opposition  or 2 Mortician, 1 Opposition = 1 VP

Correct?

(and as an aside, does Memory count for this?)

This is correct, and memory does count. (so fun to unmasking and kill him with an enemy then watch your opponent sweat as they decide if it worth killing a model) 

Please rename 'Misery' to 'Death Comes For All' again. Or even better 'Death is Certain - Life is Not'.

That is all.