• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Steamforged

Fishermen GIC Theory Thread

@Banjulhu I very much agree with you, I don't find the Fish GICs are all that interesting. After seeing the Morts' Ghost Shot, I had hoped we'd get something a bit more inspired.

It’s maybe not surprising that the fish cards are fairly basic since one of the stated goals of GICs was balance, and fish are already considered one of the top guilds. That being said I’m pretty happy with our cards. Slippery fishes is great for Shark and Groundwork is great for Corsair. I don’t care about Pay to win but my friend who hates his dice like it, so there’s something for everyone in there.

I got into fish because I wanted to dance around the field and live long enough to shoot goals or to have Corsair beat people up and help people score goals. This is fine for me. I might use shoot to win if I'm dealing with a goal keeper (+1 TN does matter), but otherwise it's going to end up my least used card.

I don't really see what all the negativity is about.  Sure, we didn't get a super cool "make the opponent miserable" GIC, but what we have to work with is pretty darn good.  Slippery Fishes...um, yes please.  Give the ball to Greyscales and laugh all day.  Oh you thought your 2" melee would prevent a successful "unpredictable movement" because you came in base to base...hahahahaha, welcome to a 4" dodge!!!

Because a being strong/balanced does not inherently make them interesting.

Hell the more I consider them there is no real option. Shark will take Slippery Fishes, Corsair will take Groundwork no one will go for Pay to Win because it does so little reliably.

I would be very happy if all three cards had some merit a with both captains. Hell I would take the 3rd card alone being relevant to both.

13 hours ago, Ik-tornado said:

I'm happy with all of them and glad they stayed personally. I am planning on the potential of slippery with both captains 

I don't know when it will happen. But I'd love to see the look on someone's face when Corsair takes a 3 inch dodge off a counter attack.

We've not played with GICs yet but I love the look of Pay to Win. Not because it is a failsafe but it's actually a momentum saver, something I struggle to keep in balls to the wall Shark.

Pay to Win means you never need to bonus time a shot. Alternatively it is like being able to bonus time up to 3 times. 

I suppose the big question is how much MOM is this saving in a game? I'd expect at 3 MOM that's 3 goals (a good result), less when you have to use it to reroll but then it has done it's job in a way bonus time can't.

Am I missing something why people are down on this GIC?

I feel that it's one of teh most thematicly fitting cards for teh Fish, but how often would you have to use it, that's the problem. Fish are pretty good scorers already. And when your choice is this, extra dodging or knock down protection, the other options become more appealing.

I suppose I would say I plan to use it at least 3 times a game, and by use it I mean 'take a shot'. I am using it by choosing not to bonus time (and gaining 1 momentum). I would use Slippery Fishes ideally twice, as I want the game to be over by turn 2, but probably somewhere between 2-4/5 times in a game since it's OPT.