Steamforged

Fishermen GIC Theory Thread

Guild Identities

A few weeks ago, we experimented with something brand new in Steamforged Games’ community engagement, the Pitch Formations preview. In the weeks that followed we saw an enormous reaction as hundreds of feedback posts were left on our forums, we saw a lot of Twitter and Facebook conversations happening and even some podcast discussions. As Developers, it was a joy to watch and the process has ensured that Pitch Formations will appear in a future Organised Play update.

Here at Steamforged we see the Pitch Formations preview as a huge success… so we’re back to do it all again with something completely different! 

How to use Guild Identity Cards

For those wishing to play a casual match using Guild Identities, simply choose a Guild Identity to use at the same time as selecting your six-player team. 

For those wishing to try an event using Guild Identities, each coach will select their Guild Identity at the same time as selecting their Captain & Mascot (Step D of the Pre-Match Sequence). A different Guild Identity can be used in each match.

Once chosen, a Guild Identity is fixed for the duration of the match. There is no way to change your Guild Identity during a match, there’s no halftime talk in Guild Ball!

Through running the Pitch Formations preview, we were able to review the process we used in order to improve its impact and efficiency for use this time around. So that we can move onto talking about the new and exciting stuff, here is a brief explanation of how this preview will work:

Start Date – (Friday 1st of September) We are revealing a single Guild Identity for each Guild to give you all a chance to try the system out before worrying about choosing from a set of Guild Identities.

1st Preview Rules Update – Friday 8th of September
The reveal of two additional Guild Identities for each Guild.

2nd Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 22nd of September
A blog post will be published detailing the progress of the preview and any updated rules.

3rd Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 6th of October
A blog post will be published detailing the progress of the preview and any updated rules.

Final Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 20th of October

Preview Ends – Friday 27th of October

There you have it! The Guild Identities Preview has begun! Make sure you join in the discussion on our forums and give these rules a try!

There is not really much to theory craft around here. You just pass and shoot a little further, so its the same game plan with a little more wiggle room when spreading out.

Not sure that this card does a lot for the team - its not extreme enough.  I think the card should read +2" kick and 2 heal (or 1 heal) to make it more interesting.  This would make the threat range is more significant, yet make the team more fragile.    

Yeah this is easily the weakest and least interesting identity revealed. Really hope the other two are more fun. Man I'm super disappointed. Reading the others I was like "Oh man ours is gonna be something sweet." This isn't even in the same league as most of the others we saw today. Free life drinker for a whole team? +1 ARM on defensive stance? Get and influence when you kill someone? +0/+1 Kick........................ ok so where is the rest of it?

Was really hoping after the shark Nerf ours would grant some defensive tech. Something like "Twice per game, when allocating influence, you may select a model to gain unpredictable movement for one round." Or sub in UM for close control. Or maybe reroll up to one die when making kicks.

I'm pretty bummed but I guess let's see what else comes out and reserve judgement once we have all the options.

8 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Set the MP heal values to two and give the following benefit "Friendly Fisherman models may use Legendary Plays twice per game instead of once"

I could get on board with this. Would certainly make Corsair's feel more powerful. Shark loves it. Hag gets even more value. Without gut and string on the team I see little justification to say it is OP.

Watch butchers get it.

So after a few hours the best I can come up with is that I don't often use the MP to heal HP (much prefer clearing KD etc) so a bit more range is ok I guess.

Boy I feel real like a real rain cloud about fish lately but this is so uninspiring compared to literally everyone elses. And after the errata changes it feels like the design space for Fish has really narrowed.  Womp womp. *End of sad part

Looking at +0/+1" kick though, while boring, is definitely strong. The goal threat bonus is appreciated and basically everyone is a top striker under corsairs legendary. Sort of maybe wish it was +0/+2" on just passes, that way i could stay spread out better when I need too. But regardless, the subtle positioning changes this brings are definitely a help.

Hope there is more to this idea and we get something a little bit more fun like the other guilds. But I'm happy to leverage even more space. 

I feel strong is probably too generous a word. It provides some niché bonuses and gives more than it takes away, but you will hardly ever remember its there because for the most part our players need to be within 6" or less of each other to benefit from friendly character plays and auras

this helps get the ball around but is it worth losing the healing? I find I am condition clearing more than healing so does that even matter as a opportunity cost?  i am not sure.

I guess Angel with an 11" kick is a thing. Not game breaking but these shouldn't be game breaking. Just not a whole lot to talk about.

It's one of those things that sounds and is boring but when you need it, you'll wish you had it. I can think of three games off the top of my head that this could have gotten me the win or at least made the missed final kick have one last die to potentially swing the odds.

1 hour ago, Ik-tornado said:

It's one of those things that sounds and is boring but when you need it, you'll wish you had it. I can think of three games off the top of my head that this could have gotten me the win or at least made the missed final kick have one last die to potentially swing the odds.

Yeah. This is sort of what i was getting at when i was saying strong. It will just subtly help you in some little ways that i think might make a big difference. Maybe i mean surprisingly helpful. Not strong. 

Also, what do people need to be within 6" for besides siren and kraken. Hag basically has 10" to fisher's reel someone. Corsair is running a scrum so sturdy is usually fine to pass out. Tentacles wants to be close to probably the captain mostly? But i definitely dont feel like 6" proximity is particularly important in fish. 

1 hour ago, Frankanelli said:

Also, what do people need to be within 6" for besides siren and kraken. Hag basically has 10" to fisher's reel someone. Corsair is running a scrum so sturdy is usually fine to pass out. Tentacles wants to be close to probably the captain mostly? But i definitely dont feel like 6" proximity is particularly important in fish. 

Honestly besides Corsair's legendary and Hags abilities idk. I have maybe used stand firm less than 5 times, and only because I accidentally killed an enemy model while Corsair still had INF. I usually only use tidal surge on shark or enemies. Quick foot I've only used to hamstring myself/explain rules during demo games. Only vSiren has any interest in being anywhere near Kraken. That's basically it for friendly ranges

This card seems to be the one you take when the other ones don't apply.

Whatever those other cards are, we'll find out in 2 weeks. In the meantime we can really dig deep into this one. Yeah. 

16 minutes ago, Wynter said:

It's not very exciting, but sometimes that extra inch can mean all the difference. Lost count of the number of times a crucial shot has been "just out"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I just realized, I think this would have been better as a plot card. Then at least you can set up an unexpected snap shot or something.  As is, I'd probably take nothing over reducing heals and an extra inch of kick.

1 hour ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

I'm really digging the idea of trading the team's armor for increased defense. Maybe something like "All friendly guild models suffer -1 armor. All friendly guild models gain +1 def for the first 3 turns." 2 Heal.

That's a cool idea, but I don't think it would work for a team like the Fish since there are so many players who already low armor high defense.  A 5+ charmed oSiren and 6+ without nimble Angel are the most egregious examples.

6 minutes ago, MechMage said:

That's a cool idea, but I don't think it would work for a team like the Fish since there are so many players who already low armor high defense.  A 5+ charmed oSiren and 6+ without nimble Angel are the most egregious examples.

Yeah it would be a bear to try and balance. Maybe better on another team. Just hoping for something more creative for round 2 of cards.

Just now, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Yeah it would be a bear to try and balance. Maybe better on another team. Just hoping for something more creative for round 2 of cards.

I'm with you there.  It's good to have fallback cards but I hope we see some more variety in the remaining Fish GIC.

Maybe Friendly model in possession of the ball marker gains Pain Response? Heal 3. I think that'd be pretty neat. Keep those squishy strikers safe and forces an earlier tackle which can be more easily countered -- or rather you'll more than likely still have your counter.