Steamforged

Farmer GIC Theory Thread

Guild Identities

A few weeks ago, we experimented with something brand new in Steamforged Games’ community engagement, the Pitch Formations preview. In the weeks that followed we saw an enormous reaction as hundreds of feedback posts were left on our forums, we saw a lot of Twitter and Facebook conversations happening and even some podcast discussions. As Developers, it was a joy to watch and the process has ensured that Pitch Formations will appear in a future Organised Play update.

Here at Steamforged we see the Pitch Formations preview as a huge success… so we’re back to do it all again with something completely different! 

How to use Guild Identity Cards

For those wishing to play a casual match using Guild Identities, simply choose a Guild Identity to use at the same time as selecting your six-player team. 

For those wishing to try an event using Guild Identities, each coach will select their Guild Identity at the same time as selecting their Captain & Mascot (Step D of the Pre-Match Sequence). A different Guild Identity can be used in each match.

Once chosen, a Guild Identity is fixed for the duration of the match. There is no way to change your Guild Identity during a match, there’s no halftime talk in Guild Ball!

Through running the Pitch Formations preview, we were able to review the process we used in order to improve its impact and efficiency for use this time around. So that we can move onto talking about the new and exciting stuff, here is a brief explanation of how this preview will work:

Start Date – (Friday 1st of September) We are revealing a single Guild Identity for each Guild to give you all a chance to try the system out before worrying about choosing from a set of Guild Identities.

1st Preview Rules Update – Friday 8th of September
The reveal of two additional Guild Identities for each Guild.

2nd Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 22nd of September
A blog post will be published detailing the progress of the preview and any updated rules.

3rd Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 6th of October
A blog post will be published detailing the progress of the preview and any updated rules.

Final Preview Rules Update – Expected Friday 20th of October

Preview Ends – Friday 27th of October

There you have it! The Guild Identities Preview has begun! Make sure you join in the discussion on our forums and give these rules a try!

I think it makes a lot of sense for the Farmers. Healing is really our only defensive tech. We don't have armor, our Defense is terrible overall, what we do have is a lot of health and some healing. So from my point of view this card is a must have.   

It seems weird that other guild are compelled to take a GIC even if they'd rather have the healing rate of 4 while the farmers get one for 5.  Makes me anxious to see the rest of them.

Not bad, particularly for Spirit of Cooperation with Windle. Harrow and Tater also get a solid bump from Healthy Living (less so Windle because he'll eat it).  Healthy living is a little trickier because it's 1 inch which is pretty close for Tater. Harrow can just drop it right on himself though and get the +1TAC.  Another reason to run Harrow I guess.  Self buffing for free. 

I like them all too. There's a bit of choice depending on opponents, but I think I'd almost always for Spirit of Cooperation.

Spirit of Cooperation - might be mandatory if you're running Windle. That potential 4VP from one takeout is really good, and he's pretty much going to be beside Grange for takeouts. No change from non-GIC healing too so less to think about.

Edit - Forgot to mention it also works for goals. So Jackstraw could teleport beside Bushel and pass the ball to her, she could then score the goal whilst being near him for 5VP.

Eat Hearty - great for the 5HP healing alone. The extra healing for returning to the pitch is nice too, but obviously requires your guys to get hurt. Wouldn't use this against football heavy teams..

Healthy Living- is nice as a sort of bonus Bonus Time for attacks to help get those wraps. For me it's the weakest, or certainly the most limiting, as there generally aren't Havest Markers around the people doing the damage (Windle eating them/opponet destorying them). Defintely not one to take if you expect a brawl due to the lower healing which is our only real defence mechanic. I could end up being wrong about this one in the end but the others are easier/automatic to use.

I wish Healthy Living would effect captains. grange on TAC 9 on his legendary turn would be amazing!!!!!

Edit- just realised I had misread it. it's not plus one for each sadly as that would amazing. oh well 

Having played them, Spirit is the only 1 I'd choose. 4 HR and +1VP for Reapers is insane in a Grange team. Sure I guess the intention is to boost Grange over Thresher (because Thresher!) and encourage Windle use, but 4VP TOs are a thing - and this is without the other 6 players! When Buckwheat and Millstone arrive, a Grange Team is going to be getting +X VPs everywhere. Bonkers.

1 hour ago, EpicChris said:

When Buckwheat and Millstone arrive, a Grange Team is going to be getting +X VPs everywhere. Bonkers.

When Buckwheat and Millstone arrive, there will be no Grange teams around - everyone will be playing Thresher. :P

Eat Hearty is good, who doesn't want an extra 3 life when returning and healing 5.

Crack of Dawn can be good for setting up, potentially a sooner Jack goal run or for giving Tater a marker to sit by for countercharge.

Don't really see ever taking Spirit of Cooperation... like ever. With the reapers all wanting to use up a harvest marker for something I just cant see the benefit, especially needing to be within 1" of it. If I could put down 10 harvest markers sure, then everyone gets one but at five on the pitch and say 3 or 4 reapers on a team you would kind of cripple them unless you wanted to run a whole planter team, but why?!? The only thing use I can think of off the top of my head would be Grange and Windle, Grange could put down his harvest marker, make sure its within 1" of himself and 2" of Windle, then he could attack with the +1 TAC, then when Windle goes he could eat it for Big Breakfast. But then I'm not just trying to get Windle set up with Honest Labour and potentially tooled up, I'm also having to think about setting up Grange and keep him close enough to Windle, etc. I'll take a pass on that one.

Otherwise like I said I like Eat Hearty and Crack of Dawn.

5 hours ago, Squinty McTwo said:

Eat Hearty is good, who doesn't want an extra 3 life when returning and healing 5.

Crack of Dawn can be good for setting up, potentially a sooner Jack goal run or for giving Tater a marker to sit by for countercharge.

Don't really see ever taking Spirit of Cooperation... like ever. With the reapers all wanting to use up a harvest marker for something I just cant see the benefit, especially needing to be within 1" of it. If I could put down 10 harvest markers sure, then everyone gets one but at five on the pitch and say 3 or 4 reapers on a team you would kind of cripple them unless you wanted to run a whole planter team, but why?!? The only thing use I can think of off the top of my head would be Grange and Windle, Grange could put down his harvest marker, make sure its within 1" of himself and 2" of Windle, then he could attack with the +1 TAC, then when Windle goes he could eat it for Big Breakfast. But then I'm not just trying to get Windle set up with Honest Labour and potentially tooled up, I'm also having to think about setting up Grange and keep him close enough to Windle, etc. I'll take a pass on that one.

Otherwise like I said I like Eat Hearty and Crack of Dawn.

Spirit of Cooperation is non-Captain only I believe. I think that effect is really good, and not hugely hard to set up most of the time (most Farmers models appreciate +1 TAC) but the heal rate 3 is a pain for Farmers (who rely on health for most of their defensive tech). 

Eat Hearty is good for that reason - lots of additional healing, although a bit dull by comparison I guess. There's no denying that this can have models returning pretty health though.

Crack of Dawn is interesting and has some potential with Jack Straw (although your opponent would likely see anything really useful coming) - I did see a good point on the main board about potential problems with this effect with Thresher and Pitch formations in terms of letting him do too much as a first activation. Pitch formations might also have implications for Tater and his counter charge...

Without Pitch Formations though, it's a useful alternative effect, one that I'd definitely consider for lineups a little light on planters to free up your turn 1 order of activation a little. 

I feel the current spirit of cooperation would get more use if you increased the range to 2" and allowed it to effect captains. This would make it more viable and worth the drop in healing rate. Can't hurt to try it out.

Crack of dawn can be quite useful with kicking off with tater as you can then defend the ball if it lands with in his counter charge aura. am I also right in my thinking that you can "eat them on the first turn for extra influence as they are placed before the kick off and influence is allocated after the kick off.

Eat health is good but fairly lack lustre if non of your players die. Maybe in cooperating a free once per turn come on mate or take a breather. Still in theme of the ability but more useful if you find that no one is dieing. 

played games with spirit of cooperation twice last week. was really useful both times, the hit to heal rate wasn't that detriment to them. would still like to see it effect the captain as I fell the buff it would give to grange wouldn't be over the top and to get it to apply to thresher requires set up before his activation. still want to try crack of dawn to see what having 2 harvest markers down at the start of the game does. still don't like the word ability on healthy living as I think its counter intuitive to its high heal rate and would rater have a different ability on it, something that maybe played into its high heal rate? but as it stands I don't really see my self taking it as if I wanted more than 3 healing I would just take crack of dawn.

I'm guessing it doesn't stack as two Planters would essentially delete any offensive capabilities of an opponent. Still useful even if it doesn't stack.

I'll likely stick with Crack of Dawn as it's the only one that can really help putting the pressue on when kicking off, which is something we struggle with.