Steamforged

GIC Game Feedback Thread

21 hours ago, Charlie said:

GIC feedback game. Brewers Vs Union

Matchup background:
-Both players have tournament experience in S3.
-Both players consider each other their most frequent opponent.
-Games involving these teams result in Union win approximately 3/4 games. 
-Normal margin of victory 6 or 8 VPs
-Brewers definitely consider this one of their toughest matchups.
-Games normally finished with time on both clocks.

Teams:
Brewers - Esters, Quaff, Hooper, Stoker, Friday, Vet Spigot.
Expected path to victory - 3&0 or 2&2
GIC: Bring it on - once per turn friendly guild model may remove KD condition during its activation. HR 5.

Union - Vet Rage, Strongbox, Gutter, Decimate, Minx, Harry.
Expected path to victory - 1&4 or 0&6
GIC: Raise the stakes - Each time a friendly guild model makes a successful tackle during its activation the model may immediately make a pass without spending influence. HR 3.

Game overview:
Union win 12 - 8 with Union having clocked out and Brewers having missed a 3 dice shot on goal.
Game felt a lot closer than is normal for this matchup.

Thoughts:
Brewers were able to stay in the game longer. The heal 5 definitely helps. The ability to remove a KD  combined with other condition removal in the team enabled the team to remain mobile in a game where they are often struggling for momentum.

Union had always felt strong in past games and Raise the stakes didn't offer any particular "buff". However heal 3 didn't ever feel under strength with the amount of Momentum the team generate and was still sufficient for recovering crazy or AOE/ condition damage.
While only situationally useful the free pass gave Minx even more use for zero inf and created a problem for the opposition.

Overall the cards felt like they work well in their intended roll as a balance leaver without changing the way either team approached the game.

You sir have just become one of my favourite people. This feedback format is very good.

4 minutes ago, Jamie P said:

You sir have just become one of my favourite people. This feedback format is very good.

Happy it works. Figured some kind of background or control information was useful to help assess when or if cards had an impact.

I'll keep with the format until someone comes up with something better.

Brewers vs Fish, using 2-3-1 formations.

Brewers picked Another Round. Going against scoring Fish, they weren't counting on getting knocked down to much (so no Bring it on) and they wanted to beat on the Fish, (so You hang Back wasn't as useful as Another Round) The card was helpful, though ironicly not for the combat game but for scoring. Friday and VSpigot both found themselves able to grab a loose ball and go on to score thanks to their Heroics. Stoker also used Another Round to set himself and Siren on fire.

Fish went with Slippery Fishes. Pay to WIn was determined to be the least useful, as they don't really need much help with scoring, so it seemed like a bit of a waste of a card choice, whereas they could see Groundwork or Slippery Fishes coming in much handier against a brawling Brewer team. The extra doge worked real well for Shark for getting out of melee range and closer to scoring range. I think Saly also used it to get out of a tricky situation. 

Both cards felt like they gave an advantage to thier respective teams. Because of that, neither one seemed overpowering, as the other team had just as strong an advantage. It was kinda cool. 

Masons Guild: Greater Good

I've been using this card a lot (4 times) and it is surprisingly versatile for allowing you to change plans mid turn. I'm not at all afraid to leave Marbles or Brick without an influence. I can now kick a ball to a player without influence and still drop an influence on them later to have them kick.

Built to Last:  doesn't appeal and doesn't seem to change play much. In three games I've yet to activate it and I think it has only deterred one charge (A charge onto Harmony who would have been Def 6, Arm 2 near Brick), instead the player ran and attacked. I can't shout loud enough how boring this card is! (Free counter attack 1/turn is what I feel it should be).

Tactical Flexility: I think the card should go back to immediate dodge after a take-out and the dodge should be 2". Haven't played this new version yet.

Play vs opponents cards, my experiences and thoughts

Engineers: Clockwork Perfection

It is kind of interesting, but the other two cards seem stronger and easier to use. In the game I played vs the Gears they didn't get to use it. Could be Heal 4 I think.

Butchers: Take it to' em

This is a pretty balanced card. I've seen it being used in a couple games. It's crazy good with wingback. Our local butcher player is having fun with it.

Brewers: Another Round

This card is probably ok, but I do hate playing against it because there are so many choices and opportunities that come with it. My local Brewer player won't take anything else.

Hunters: Bait the Trap

This is still such s strong card. Snared is such a powerful condition and 8" is such a long distance that if set up properly it can have serious impacts on an opponent. I'd like to see it drop down to 6" range.

Played Masons Vs Fishermen last night. Not much to report. Masons chose Tactical Flexibility as it was the only Masons card not tried. Was pretty disapointed to play it and didn't feel as if it was any good. The other two are felt to be much better options. The Fishermen took Pay To WIn, as they felt the same way about it, the least likeable of the three cards. Figured we'd play with our worst choices to test them out. Neither card came into play. Take outs didn't come until later in the  game, and Masons wanted to keep the scrum tight, and pin Fish down in melee zones, so I had no desire to take the dodge. Fishermen had plenty of scoring power, so didn't need the card ability. That said, I do feel as if Pay To Win fits the Fishermen thematicly. They're supposed to be the best goal scorers, so the chance of them missing a shot should be slim, an anomaly. Getting a reroll illustrates this well. 

Smoke Flask Calculus vKatalyst Mercury Vitriol Acidic Coating vs Corsair Tentacles Angel Jac Kraken Greyscale Slippery Fishes

Alchemists win with 3 Player Take Outs, 1 Mascot Take Out, 1 Goal and 1 Witness Me! vs 1 Take Out

This was a rough game for my opponent.  He kicked off with Jac who got pelted with templates and didn't get much out of it.  He walked up to try to get momentum attacking Flask, only getting enough to clear his conditions but Smoke reapplied them and vKatalyst charged him.  The AP was enough to secure the intensify on the wrap although it was still a huge spike.  Turn two, vKatalyst Witnesses Angel.  Jac stands up and whacks Smoke for momentum but spends it to Trident Tested instead of healing, which did get Flask out of Sic'Em range.  By the end of the turn, Smoke is off on the flank with the ball and Jac is barely holding on with one health.  Turn 3 Katalyst comes back and charges Greyscales who is burning and poisoned with only 8 HP left, but a Slippery Fish UM stuffs the activation hard.  It didn't end up being enough as after missing 3 drags into 4+ defense models that game, there's nothing the Fish can do to stop Smoke's goal and Flask takes out Jac and leaves Greyscales low enough for Mercury to finish off.

Overall Acidic Coating felt great.  All of my playbooks were incredibly gratifying with the extra net hit.  Flask with the easy wraps was great.  Smoke with practical access to her >> was great.  vKatalyst with the bottom column of his playbook shaved off feels great.  Vitriol's playbook feels better than it ever has.  I love the kinestetics of this GIC.  The healing rate didn't come into play this game, but that just comes down to my opponent missing every Drag.

Slippery Fish wasn't bad.  Greyscale didn't have much competition for it.  Super UM was obviously very good and the extra 2" enabled a goal run which unfortunately he didn't have the influence to secure, but the low healing rate really stung.  It took 3 turns of scratch damage to Jac to take him out, but my opponent never wanted to heal him for just 2.  If he'd used Ground Work that take out is off the table, but at the same time Greyscales is probably Witnessed instead so it wouldn't have made much of a difference.  I imagine Midas would have hated this GIC much more than Smoke did.

Played Brewers vs. Butchers tonight. As a Brewer, I played another round. Great card, a free heroic every turn is wonderful. Especially when my entire team, except the cat, has a heroic. The issue is it's so good that I really wouldn't want to play the others. 

I've had a few games with GICs so far, testing out brewers, alchs and engineers. The alchs GICs heavily impact how the team plays and how you choose a 6-man team. I still need to test Acidic Coating, but I really don't feel the card against heavy hitting and tanky teams like Engineers, Brewers. Our Engineer player tested We Can Rebuild Them and Tracer Rounds, both are awesome. As for Brewers, Another Round is an obvious hit so decided not to test it. The Goal Keeper GIC is ok, but the fact that a Mascot can't be a Goalie is weird. Scum is a very active mascot anyways so I don't believe anyone would leave him within 4" of the Goal. Quaff could be more appealing if you could make him a Goal Keeper. Also in S2 there was a plot card that could make a mascot a Goal Keeper and it wasn't OP.

Brewers vs Engineers.

Brewers used Bring it on and found it very handy. Only draw back was when they had several players down and could only choose 1. :) This is a good choice over Another Round, but feel Another Round would still win out. 

Engineers used we can rebuild them and made it virtually impossible to get a take out on them. Only managed to get  Hoist out, who only has 11 HP and was concentrated on. It was the first time playing Hoist and we forgot that he had reanimate. Had we remebered I doubt he'd have been taken out. Felt giving everyone reanimate was overpowering and makes it very hard for beaty teams to get points. 

17 hours ago, Redtiger7 said:

Felt giving everyone reanimate was overpowering and makes it very hard for beaty teams to get points. 

You know the GIC doesn't give reanimate and gives regenerate? I've played the brewers vs enginners matchup many times and would be very happy if the engineers went with that GIC as it effectively makes them heal fewer HP.

Feedback from last nights game,

Farmers v Fisherman

Farmer's (Me) took Spirit of Cooperation, and the Team was the Honest Land 6 of Grange,Peck,Bushel,Windle, Harrow, and Jackstraw

Fisherman took Slippery Fishes with a Team of Shark, Tentacles, Greyscales, Sakana, Hag and Angel.

Game finished 12 to 7 for the Fish, 3 goals to a goal and Snack Break take out. I had trouble keeping the ball away from the fast play of the fish. Ultimately, I could not keep them at bay from scoring 3 times.

Feedback on the Farmer's GIC:

I think Spirit is a nice balance and could be a go to until the second half of the team is released, the +1 TAC helps out alot and they players that need it are almost always around Harvest Markers. It makes you clump them around you instead of safely out of the way, which may lead to more get sprinted on but the payoff is worth it. In my game Grange and Windle took advantage of the bonus TAC with the latter helping get his Snack Break Take out. 

Overall I think the Farmer's 3 GICs are well designed and different enough from each other. Eat Hearty will be good against a more scrum oriented team (wasn't going to help me here). Crack of Dawn will be good for when Thresher and his team will be out. Right now i can't see the need to pass on +1 tac to just have 2 extra markers at the start. Getting them up field for thresher will be nice just not as useful in the Honest land 6.

Feedback of the Fisherman's GIC against me:

It was a very helpful for enabling alot things for the fish. I sure he was pleased with it. It was used every turn for impact, not just to use it (if you catch my drift). It helped enable at least 1 if not 2 of his goal runs. So I didn't like it, which probably means it is a good GIC.

Hope this is helpful

6 hours ago, Edek said:

You know the GIC doesn't give reanimate and gives regenerate? I've played the brewers vs enginners matchup many times and would be very happy if the engineers went with that GIC as it effectively makes them heal fewer HP.

Yes, meant to say regenerate. Had Hoist's ability stuck in my mind. 

I think if you were having trouble against Regenerate you probably were spreading your attacks too thin. Regenerate makes it harder to spread out damage but only sorta helps against focused fire; after all, any model on the Engineers team will heal 4/turn max. If you only ever damage a single model at a time it's almost a blank HR 4.

Teams: Brewers (Tapper, scum, Friday, spiggles, hopper, mash); Butchers (Fillet, Truffles, Rage, Boar, vOx, Meathook)

Background: both players are regular upper-mid table tournament players and fairly evenly matched. The butchers player (me) plays them a lot whilst the brewer's player flits around guilds a bit, but is pretty familiar with brewer's. Overall expect a close game.

Game overview: Butchers chose to kick with Fillet, but the kick went awry and the brewer's could place. This gave them a big advantage on turn 1, and fillet chickened put of engaging, sending in a quicl footed Boar instead. Despite the advatage on the first round, getting boar in have me the momentum to win 1sy activation, but limited options meant that we basically traded models with the advantage to brewer's, but fillet was able to activate late and set up the next turn for a big activation, killing Friday before she can score. A big scrum developed in the middle of the pitch and butchers were able to use their momentum pressure to keep winning 1st activation, eventually closing the game out 13-8.

Crushing Force: this was strong. It really helped me win the momentum race each turn. However, I really felt the 2hp heal when up against another beater team. The first activation thing was less of an issue than I expected, but thats probably because of good play putting pressure on Fillet so she couldn't maximise her abuse if it. Overall it was very strong and frustrating for my opponent, but the 2ho heal does pull it back somewhat.

The free heroic one: there didn't seem much to worry about this as it was nearly always used for tapper's heroic which could have happily been bought with MP earned. Spiggot's move one could have been more advantageous round 1 if they'd had a ball to fetch. The 4hp heal was the most annoying this card got. 

sBrisket Coin Decimate Hemlocke Grace Mist Raise the Stakes vs Smoke Flask Calculus Compound Mercury Vitriol Watch the World Burn

Mist kicks off and Vitriol recovers the ball, passing to her team who eventually give it back to her.  Both teams throw conditions at each other and Grace clears the burning circle before Smoke can spread it.  Last activation a teched up Mist tries and fails to get the ball away from Vitriol.  Alchemists win the uphill initiative roll and Vitriol scores.  The goal kick is a disaster, putting the ball right back on Vitriol with clone up.  Smoke's team runs wild with conditions as the Union desperately tries to recover the ball.  Eventually they succeed and the free pass prevents Vitriol tackling it back, but there are no activations left to score.  Union wins initiative but has to activate Hemlocke to avoid her being taken out.  Vitriol dodges with Burned Before (doh!) and scores a snapshot off Smoke.  Decimate takes out Vitriol, completely overlooking that Calculus was as easy a take out who hadn't activated yet.  Brisket and Grace finally succumb to accumulated condition damage.

I'm pretty blurry on the details of this game, but a few things stand out:

Watch the World burn is still awesome.

Raise the Stakes feels great.  Two or three times it prevented Vitriol from getting the ball, either by ditching it after tackling back on a counter attack or before she made her counter attack.  It's much less reliable than the other GICs I've tried since it requires a tackle in the first place.

sBrisket is still incredibly underwhelming without the ball, and having Raise the Stakes only compounded that since it tended to do nothing at the same time she does.  My team really needed more brawlers to have a chance this match.  Hemlocke and Grace both did a ton of work.  I think I should have gone with Blackheart since he can tackle, free pass and get the ball back with a character play, the same as Brisket.

sBrisket, Coin, Rage, A&G, Benediction and Mist (Using "Raise the Stakes")

Ballista, Mother, Hoist, Colossus, Velocity and Ratchet (Using "Clockwork Perfection")

I used my Union "Raise the Stakes", before using It was that keen, I thought "Pirates Ransom" would be more useful. I got off  "Raise the Stakes" four times In the game, It was super useful and In the end It won me the game. I was able to get the ball off Velocity turn one when she was setting up for a Turn One Goal, pass to space and a later activation get It off her again to setup a top of Turn Two Goal with sBrisket. On the last Turn I gave the ball to Ratchet, A&G took out Ballista and I was able to get the ball off Ratchet with Avarisse last INF to get It to Mist, Mist couldn't be reached so It meant I could easily Score to close out the game. I didn't heal In the game so the Heal Rate of three, didn't come In to effect.

My opponent was setting up for a Snapshot to close the game and use his card but I was able to win before that could happen. Rage only Just took out Velocity and she Healed for Three so the Heal Rate had effect on the Engineers but I was very lucky with my rolls with that and the Engineers are very resilient. 

GIC feedback games Butchers Vs Hunters.

Matchup background:

-Both myself and the other player are regular tournament goers.

-Both players have played several guilds and have a strong grasp of the game.

-Both players had used the lineups before without GIC.

-Both players usually regard Hunters as particular strong in this match up due to access to pushes, dodges and push/dodge playbook results.

Teams:

Butchers – Fillet, Princess, Boiler, Meathook, VBrisket and VOx. GIC: Crushing force

Hunters – Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Jeacar, Egret and Minx. GIC: Winter Training

Overview:

Game 1: Butchers 12 (4TO 1G) – Hunters 8 (1G 2TO). Fillet kicked off.

Game 2: Hunters 12 (4TO 1G) – Butchers 10 (3TO 1G and 1 missed goal) Theron kicked off.

Winter training helped the hunters team have more movement around the board and was particularly useful for Hearne who jumped into Theron’s wood to then advance even further. The heal rate of 2 meant that the Hunters team was much less resilient which the Butchers capitalized on. Speed buff helped the Hunters often out threaten butchers due to Theron's forest. 

Crushing force was extremely powerful. While Fillet was able to be counter attacked at the standard cost, we found this meant that the rest of the team was even more dangerous. Usually, when playing against Hunters, I fear their double dodge/ push dodge counter attacks. However, Meathook reliable tooled up Fillet and then advanced into opponents making two attacks. Most notably, Boiler was able to charge Jeacar without needing to hit the KD. I often find that Jeacar’s playbook keeps him alive against 1” models but Boiler was able make three attacks choosing momentous damage each time. Without the GIC, I would be hoping to spike and KD Jeacar.

Overall: After the games we discussed both GIC.

We both agreed Winter training was keeping with the guilds theme, helped the Hunters out threaten the enemy and made the team more influence efficient as Jeacar and Hearne didn’t need to run due to Theron’s forest buffing them.

On the other hand, Crushing force appeared as somewhat of a negative play experience. For me as the Butchers player, it meant that I didn’t need to fear the Hunters counter attacks and could choose momentous damage instead of KD. It also meant the rest of my team could reliably make 2/3 swings at a player. My opponent also discussed how this lead to a feeling of inevitably when the Butchers came into attack, particularly with Boiler. The inability to respond, along with the high cost, made the match up much closer. Having to spend an extra MP each time meant that influence could be spread across the Butchers team to greater effect. I would fear that teams that have been designed with strong playbooks for counter attacks (Fish and Hunters) would really feel the pain of this GIC. In addition, we both felt new players may be dominated by a brawling Butchers team if they cannot counter attack efficiently.

Unsurprisingly, the heal rates of 2 did mean that conditions were often removed instead of healing.

I want to try the farmers with Crack of Dawn next time. I imagine Tater and Thresher love the extra Harvest tokens at the start of the game. 

GIC feedback game. Brewers Vs Union #2

Matchup background:
-Both players have tournament experience in S3.
-Both players consider each other their most frequent opponent.
-Games involving these teams result in Union win approximately 3/4 games. 
-Normal margin of victory 6 or 8 VPs
-Brewers definitely consider this one of their toughest matchups.
-Games normally finished with time on both clocks.

Teams:
Brewers - Esters, Quaff, Hooper, Stoker, Friday, O'Spigot.
Expected path to victory - 3&0 or 2&2
GIC: Another round - once per turn friendly guild model can use a heroic play without spending influence. HR 3.

Union - Vet Range, Strongbox, Harry the hat, Minx, Gutter, Decimate.
Expected path to victory - 1&4 or 0&6
GIC: Honour amongst thieves - once per turn when an enemy model inflicts the taken out condition on a friendly model, before removing the friendly model from the pitch any influence on the friendly model may be allocated to one other friendly model within 8". HR 2.

Game overview.
Union win 12 - 7
Union have 1 minute left on the clock, Brewers have 3.
Had Brewers won the last initiative roll the game would have been 10-12.

Thoughts.
Brewers: Healing only 3 made little difference from 4 because Union damage output is so high. Free heroic was used every turn. Once to help Friday score mostly to aid in condition removal. The main strength of the card was it's ability to allow more freedom of activation order for Brewers.

Union: Text effect of the card was never used. Healing only 2 ment Union only healed when far enough ahead on Momentum that it was not needed for controlling next turn. Removing conditions became more significant.
Felt like a strong team got no extra help.

Before playing this game we played with no GICs and results were consistent with the history of this matchup.
GICs continue to balance this matchup without totally changing the outcome. To date GIC games feel closer.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, malladin.ben said:

@Jamie P do you want us to post about our games earlier today ir did youbgetbenough from us on the day?

It would be great if you could post any feedback on here yes. Even though I tried to speak to as many people about as many games as I could its still just not possible to get everything doing that. So yes if you could post some reports/feedback on here that would be grand, thanks!

Three games at the weekend using butchers:

Game 1 vs alchemists.

Opponent said he was mainly a butchers player bringing alchemists because the point of the event was to test out GICs and no one else was bringing alchemists. He drafted an unusual smoke list with flask, calculus, mercury, venin and vKat and used the GIC that gives you extra damage from conditions.

I took Fillet (knowing I'd need speed against alchemists), Truffles, Boar, Rage, vBrisket and vOx, and used Take it To 'Em.

Game highlights: I received so I set up for a vBrisket goal, but missed two of the kicks down the line so only had 1 MP for brisket's shot and the 3 dice shot missed. We both had some iffy dice at times. Smoke's condition game with watch the world burn is horrible to behold, and it really brings Venin into contention (7 damage in the maintenance phase is not something you want to suffer very often). Rage and Boar were able to keep vKat on a leash by concussing him a few times, but intensify really hurt me this game, and flask chipped in as much as vKat. He played into Fillet very well, keeping her away from the ball and spreading out so she could only eat 1 model a turn. I won 12-6 by 5 TOs (flask twice) and a goal to a goal and a takeout. (IIRC, it might have been 12/8 with two takeouts, but I can't remember who they were if it was more than just Rage)

I rarely used the GIC (forgot about for the first half of the game) and blood thirst would have really helped against the condition-heavy game. He rarely counter attacked, too, so crushing force wouldn't have had much impact either. Watch The world Burn really forced me to spend all my mom on clearing conditions (nearly every heal was to clear conditions as as soon as you have more than one, its better to heal the condition than heal hp) and it made for a really tough game (in a fin and tense way) and Smoke felt like she really had a strong condition damage game, but in the end it wasn't enough on it's own, although concussing vKat definitely helped here, as if he'd been able to get the early TO and witness me it would have been a different story.

Game 2 vs Masons.

He received and took Hammer, Marbles, Tower, Flint, Mallet and Lucky. I took Ox (his legendary is strong vs masons), Truffles, Meathook, Boar, Rage and Shank. I took crushing force and he took built to last.

Hammer got 6VP by the end of the first activation of turn 2, but got taken out by Ox in reply. Then Rage, Shank and Meathook finished off lucky and Mallet between them, along with Shank missing a shot on goal, so Flint got the ball and gave me something to think about turn 3. Meathook went first but needed to finish off lucky before going after Flint. Fortunately she was able to hit her tackle 2 dmg result twice vs flint so got the ball off him but didn't have enough inf left to kick and I forgot about her heroic. I had a rush of blood when I saw hammer had returned in range of Boar, but I forgot I'd left him without INF, and so failed to take out Hammer. With Hammer then able to deliver against Boar and Flint being able to get the ball back from Meathook and score meant I had thrown the game away from a position of control. If I'd remembered to sanguine pool Flint I'd have been able to stop the goal, and I could have just moved Boar away from Hammer and left him with 5 INF he was unable to spend. What made it even more frustrating Flint would have died to bleed in maintenance phase and shank could have easily scored a snapback goal if I'd had another activation. It finished 12-6 but the result cold have easily been the reverse if I'd not been a muppet. 

Crushing Force was irrelevant against this list that was defensive stancing everything and not really looking to counter attack. The defensive stances probably saved him between 4 and 8 damage each turn, but in a list with 2x furious an a vindictive model, the defensive stance is perhaps stronger than it normally would be. The 2hp heal really hurt, too, especially on Rage who's not getting any benefit from the GIC. There was one situation where the changes to the card came into effect - when Ox attacked Hammer he didn't need to charge him, so he counter attacked that, which forced Ox to take a KD with one of his attacks, but it wasn't enough to keep Hammer alive.

Game 3 vs Farmers:

Grange, peck, Tater, Harrow, Windle and Benny. I took Ox Truffles, shank, Boar, Rage and. He took the 5hp heal card and I took blood thirst (because I'd not used it yet).

I received and tried to hang back. I contemplated a first turn goal with shank, but the pass to him failed, so I couldn't dodge him up to make the range. He came right into me with Grange and Tater, coming deep to negate Tenderiser's countercharge. A combination of constitution and 5hp heals really helped him out in the scrum,  and he took out boar. Rage charged out to get to Windle and concussed him into irrelevance for a turn or 2. At some point, though Windle got to act before rage and Rage went down for a 3vp take out whilst I was able to get that goal with Shank. I eventually chewed through Tater, but lost a 5-stacked Ox to Grange. Ox and Boar came back on and finished off Windle, whilst Shank went and robbed the ball from peck, then next turn Shank bounced off Harrow to score and close out the game 12-7.

Blood Thirst kept Ox alive a little longer, but didn't really do much else. Crushing force would have been golden in this game as the momentum race was often tight and he made lots if counter attacks. The 5hp heals were really annoying to deal with and really helped him out in the scrum.

Overall thoughts on the Butcher GIC set

In it's current iteration I don't think Crushing Force is quite so game breaking as it's first incarnation. I think Counter Attacks is something that Butchers need a bit of help against, and the 2hp heal is an issue for Butchers as the glass cannon faction. Personally I think it's probably okay as it is now - strong, but with a penalty and with counters in amongst some of the other GICs out there. I think it's a good default choice, but I don't think it's an auto-pick.

Blood Thirst at 3hp heal now seems about right. I didn't use it with Fillet, which is where the burst heal can be quite unpleasant, especially on top of her other heals, but on the majority of models it's about the equivalent of a 4 or 5hp heal that forces you to go into the opponent, so it's encouraging butchers playstyle, which I like. I think I choose this vs Alchemists and Brewers, and maybe Hunters and Engineers.

Take it to 'Em seems the least interesting of the set and the one I'm struggling to see a place for. It just saves you one INF a turn. Considering it in comparison to the Brewer's free heroic one mainly gets used to power Tapper's Old Jakes, you could see that as being worth 2 INF a turn, and it's much more flexible in it's use. I think I might be more likely to use it if it gave +0"/+2" MOV on a charge instead, or if it could be used on a captain. I'd be happy if it was made stronger but dropped to 2hp heals as I quite like if fluff-wise that butchers are offence over defence.

Cracking GIC tournament over the weekend. I took Hunters and had a great time trying out the GICs on a new crowd.

Game 1: Fish (Pay to Win)

Corsair, Tentacles, Siren, Sakana, Hag, Gutter

Hunters (Winters Training): Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Zarola, Jaecar, Avarisse+Greede

I received and played a bit of silly buggers trying for a Fahad goal when I should have been neutralising Corsair - ooops. Alloyed Corsair to drag Theron away from me and started a mid-pitch rumble. Fahad did score (huzzah!) and people were taken out by Theron & co, but Corsair was able to grind through us faster than Hunters could back. Ended 12-10, 2-2 vs 2-1

Thoughts - well I played 'badly' but the new card allowed Theron and buddies much more scoring opportunities than before which really unlocked football as a viable option (2-2 with Hunters?? Not my usual style at all). Really enjoyed the option to play ball. Fish didn't really need Pay to Win but it bought them the security of their goal scoring so Momentum could be used elsewhere (less bonus timed goals).

Game 2: Union (Raise the Stakes)

Brisket3, Strongbox, Mist, Fangtooth, Benediction, Decimate

Theron (Winters Training): Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Zarola, Jaecar, A+G

I kicked with Theron and wanted to see if the line up would work if not piloted by an idiot. Theron used rough ground on his side to push extra on kick off. He passed ball around and used it to jump Fangtooth forward for a Fangtooth Unleashed run. However I  dropped wood and shot off Glut Mass, charged and tackled and pushed, then shot on goal. The extra 2" proved crucial. This exposed Theron but I had Knee Slider - and just moved back. Was glorious! We then squared off, Hearne went in to gather momentum but got Fanged who in turn was Jaecar'd. Eventually after taking out multiple models with Hunters, I was up 11 points to 3 - and then lost. :) Clocked out because Hunters still take a lot of time to work. RtS didn't really come into it as Hunters never got a shot on ball as hard to deal with Unpredictable Brisket when Hearne gets taken out. 11-12 1-4 vs 1-2+time

Thoughts - worked more as I expected, gave Theron the option of Football which was nice. Really opened up the team. 

Game 3

Fish (Groundwork)

Corsair, Tentacles, Jac, Siren, Hag, Sakana

Skatha (Bait the Trap), Fahad, Jaecar, A+G, Seenah, Ulfr

I kicked with Skatha. Setup the bear and A+G on fast ground and jumped Seenah forward. Ended turn going into Jac. Used Bait and took Jac out next turn. Corsair went on a KD rampage and scored. I managed using Skatha to put A+G into Corsair and got the double KD result to take him down. Momentum farmed him, and took him out next turn. Meanwhile Sakana scored again after my kick out got bounced around a bit. I then fluffed my take out of Jac again with Seenah and Bait but Skatha scored twice to win (back to back activations - so good!).  12-8 2-2 vs 2-0

Thoughts - Groundwork seems a little bobbins. It is Heal 4 though which is good. But it only works when you apply the KD condition so it's a little limited (not suffering). Bait really helped Seenah work. I found I was much more likely to get the take outs I expected and she was so much more destructive like I thought she should be.

Game 4

Union (Honour among Thieves) vRage, Benediction, Fangtooth, Mist, Strongbox, Minx

Hunters Skatha (Bait the Trap) same as before - Fahad, Jaecar, A+G, Seenah, Ulfr

I kicked with Skatha. Missed the snowball pass to Seenah ( :( ) Mist scored. Kicked out, fumbled it and Mist scored again (Doh!) However Seenah took rage out which was nice and Fangtooth went down to A+G. Jaecar scored but I couldn't stop the takeouts after HAT transferred rage's INF to Benny. 8-12 1-2 vs 2-2

Thoughts - Holy Card Batman, Honour Among Thieves is amazing. Not losing Inf really helped the Union keep control of the game and my take outs made less impact. I made a silly mistake with Skatha that fumbled the ball back to Mist but that's just because I've been playing too much Theron! Was a nice close game. Fangtooth is quite effective (won the game with a FU take out). Bait did the same as before.

So a good day and a fun experience. I enjoyed the Hunter GICs and the games seemed pretty balanced. Thumbs Up!

Butchers vs Engineers

Butchers used Crushing Force in a 2 goal 2 take out win. Engineers never paid for counter attacking as they need their momentum to clear bleed and heal. But that meant they also didn't counter attack either. Not only did that help the  take out game, but meant that I could steal the  ball away and not worry too much about a counter taking it back. (One of my least favorite parts of the game) Especially at the start of the  turn where the Engineers wouldn't have enough MP to make a counter even if they lost initiative. 

The Engineers used Tracer Rounds. Not sure how useful this card was, as they never seemed to have any trouble hitting thier shots, until Balista tried to use his deabolt late in the  game. But then he can't benefit from the card. A couple times we forgot about the  card and it didn't seem to matter. The heal rate of 3 was ok, but as they were facing the  Butchers, the damage just kept coming faster than they could heal it. 

2 games using GIC, i'll keep it short.

Game 1: Masons (Greater Good) vs Fish (Groundwork)

Matchup background:

• Both players play regularly in league and tournaments, and play each other a lot. 
  • The Fish player usually plays Brewers, and I haven't played Masons since May, but they're my main team that I started picking back up this week.
  • Game was played on 60 min clocks, and ended with both players having 10-15 min left .

Teams:

Masons - Hammer, Wrecker, Flint, Mallet, Tower, Lucky
Expected path to victory - 2&2
GIC: Greater Good v3 - 6" reach and 4 HR

Fish - Corsair, Tentacles, Greyscales, Kraken, Hag, Gutter
Expected path to victory - 1&4 or 2&2
GIC: Groundwork - +1 DEF for the activation that a model is KD

Game overview.

Masons win 12-6 (2/2 vs 2/1)
Masons had 15 min left, Fish had about 10. 

Thoughts.

Masons:  Changing "Greater Good" to HR 4 was good, because I wouldn't have taken this if it were HR3.  The problem is that the card is still too situational, and I never found a time where it would be useful (either a model is too far, even with the 6" improvement) or I always had something to use the spare INF on.  Looking back, I probably should have just used Tactical Flexibility and eat the HR3, since a 4" dodge after taking someone out would have positioned Hammer better for the next target. 

Fish: Groundwork is SO GOOD.  Especially against a Hammer team that loves KD, and no one else is really that good at it.  Both Corsair and Kraken got to use it when Hammer was trying to kill them, and the DEF 3 (instead of DEF 2) while KD for that activation saved them from dying too fast. The 4 HR was also very good.  This is a very solid card.  I don't think it's OP, but it's definitely one of the top choices for Fish against teams that love KD.

I really enjoyed seeing Groundwork for Fish, and wished Greater Good was a little better.  Maybe since it's so situational, you can give 2 INF up to 8" away?  This way, when it's good, it's great, but most of the time it might not be used.  I think Masons often don't have an issue using up INF for both captains, so I really think this card will be taken just for the HR4, but at that point, I might as well take Built to Last for the 4HR and occassional +1 ARM.

Game 2: Masons (Built to Last) vs Alchemists (Watch the World Burn)

Matchup background:

• The Alchemist player was completely new (his first game), but he's a WH Fantasy player, so definitely had the right tactical mind. 
  • I also gave him choices of the best options with every activation, so it was kind of playing against myself. :P
  • Game was played without plot cards, to keep it simpler for the beginner.
  • Game was played without a clock, lasting around 2.5-3 hours.

Teams:

Masons - Honour, Marbles, Harmony, Flint, Mallet, Lucky
Expected path to victory - 2&2
GIC: Built to Last - +1 ARM when Def Stance

Alchemists - Smoke, Flask, vKat, Mercury, Calculus, Compound
Expected path to victory - 1&2 or 2&1 (Witness Me)
GIC: Watch the World Burn - +1 condition damage in maintenance phase

Game overview.

Masons win 12-4 (2/2 vs 1/0)

Thoughts.

Masons:  I really love Built to Last.  Considering it's a situational card that's great against teams with furious (hi vKat!), and still has the 4 HR, I think this is a solid pick (over "Greater Good").  If there are no furious models on the other team and it's a team that doesn't like to charge, I probably would have picked Tactical Flexibility.  I only got to use the ability once when vKat charged me (the rest of the time I kept him engaged with Flint), but when I did, 12 dice against 5/2 Flint, only 2 successes.  That was AMAZING.

Alchemists: We played it wrong and had +1 condition damage PER CONDITION!  It seemed a bit powerful and if it weren't for the skill/experience difference, I easily would have lost the game with 4 back to back TO since 4 of my players were at 5-6 HP and on fire/poison at the end.  Upon further reading, it's only net +1 DMG, so I think this card is just fine.  It makes Smoke a lot scarier without being OP, and it doesn't affect things like Intensify (thank goodness).  I think this is a solid card where it is right now and can get people to bring Smoke out to play (I hate Smoke, as a Masons player, but it's good to see her get played again).