Wondering what you guys think of the Armor Set situation. This board seems a bit more level headed than the KS comments where everyone is throwing a fit right now.

I feel like since the armor sets are only little models you can use for armor sets you already get in the game, they're not a big deal and not to be focused on. It seems everyone in the comments wants the models re-worked. I just don't understand the value of that extra work. It's all cosmetic and i think there are things that actually effect game play that they could focus on. Not only that, but a whole re-work will take a while and i believe SFG will already behind the Oct schedule even if they don't do a re-work of a cosmetic only armor set expansion.

I guess the poses don't bother me that much since i wasn't planning on replacing my character mini anyway. I like the character minis. 

Am i wrong in my assessment? Perhaps the armor expansion is more than just cosmetic minis? Does it change any actual game play, like provide new armor cards for players to use (still the models wouldn't do much)? I'm curious as to everyone's opinion. I don't think it's as big a deal as the KS comment pitchfork hordes are making it out to be.

It's all opinion based. Mine echoes yours: the Armor Sets, as I understand them, are freebies. They are cosmetic additions to the game only.

In my opinion, the poses are dumb and I do not like the models very much. However, I don't really care. I always saw them as something that would be nice to have, but not vital. When they were unlocked as a stretch goal, I remember thinking "Neat!" and not dwelling on it much further.

If Steamforged cares to resculpt them, bully to them and I support that move. If they don't, I will continue not caring.

5 minutes ago, Hashmal said:

It's all opinion based. Mine echoes yours: the Armor Sets, as I understand them, are freebies. They are cosmetic additions to the game only.

In my opinion, the poses are dumb and I do not like the models very much. However, I don't really care. I always saw them as something that would be nice to have, but not vital. When they were unlocked as a stretch goal, I remember thinking "Neat!" and not dwelling on it much further.

If Steamforged cares to resculpt them, bully to them and I support that move. If they don't, I will continue not caring.

yea, that's pretty much how i feel. if i paint them at all, it will be the last thing i paint. i don't really see the point of them other than just having a toy set of the armors from the video game -- it just doesn't do much for the board game imo. 

1 hour ago, squirtis said:

Perhaps the armor expansion is more than just cosmetic minis? Does it change any actual game play, like provide new armor cards for players to use (still the models wouldn't do much)?

As far as I know, is supposed to bring new armor cards, but I don't know if it will include anything else (Weapons, miracles, etc...). I think it is an equipment expansion rather than a cosmetic one, but I don't know if that's 100% true or things changed during development.

About the minis... IMHO, I don't really care, the first time I saw the Catarina Armor set mini decided to search some spare weapons and shields, so I will try to fix them. I have quite a lot of unused weapons, and I love to make conversions to my miniatures. Some of them will be challenging (I'm looking at you, clapping Black Knight!) but I'm OK with that.

But... If I was on the SFG team, I would be worried. The armor set and the summons set are not going to sell very well outside the KS, because they don't really add too much to the game, but at least the summon miniatures look fine to me. If the armor models stay in those poses, lots of backers will try to sell them and the offer will be massive in contrast to the demand, thus resulting in a huge loss of money. And I don't want to start with the "similarities with fascism salute" that angry backers are repeating at the KS page, I think that it's just an unfortunate camera angle and nothing else. That kind of polemics are very serious, can affect and ruin a reputation very quickly, and I don't want to add more fuel to the (Bon)fire.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to change the models. It will give SFG the perfect excuse for delaying wave 2 without causing a riot, because... Let's be serious, the approval, production and shipping of more than ten different products (Each one with lots of cards and tokens and one or more model) to more than 30.000 backers around the world it's going to be a hell if you want to do it within the deadline of 10/31. And it will be even worse if they have to handle different languages, SFG can't afford another translation fiasco.

I'm not a huge fan of the poses they chose, but at the same time I'm not going to complain about receiving them. I never intended to use them to replace the player model. I figure if someone gets an armor set they just get the relevant cards and can stand the mini next to their dashboard if they like, as a reminder of how it looks.

Can't say I like the armour sculpt poses either but since there is no need to ever use them in gameplay I also don't really care that much. I may try to convert them with some weapons or else they'll go in a cupboard and join the pile of spare minis I see no need to paint. Going to end up with plenty of playable character minis anyway. 

Those Kickstarter comment sections are a nightmare in general.

The Armor Set poses themselves aren't great, but the fact that they aren't unique is even worse in my opinion. Of course it's not a tragedy or anything, and they seemed to have knocked the other 3 sets of models out of the park, but I wouldn't mind a delay if it were necessary to touch up the poses (and Lucatiel's apparently oversized hat).

As an aside, I hope the player character expansion (with the other six classes) turns out okay.

If they were each doing a different emote, I think it'd have been neat.

If they were all in a static neutral pose, I'd think it alright.

That 7/10 are trying to fist bump the moon... I am very disappointed.

fa4ec540d184e0889a1384a4f78a5d46_origina

3 hours ago, scifidownbeat said:

(and Lucatiel's apparently oversized hat).

Holy wow, I hadn't noticed that.

That's Big Hat size!

95e542bfa51974ecb645e8f7eb73bb9e_origina

not_even_mad.gif

Well I'm on board with redesigning them even if it causes delay. It really doesn't make sense to have armor set minis withouth weapons for the board game. I mean - it's an official expansion! But as far as I can see right now it is nothing more than a cosmetic option, so you would want to exchange your player mini for the armor set to reflect that in game. But why would you ruin the gaming mood by having your character slow clap while a big ass mega boss is trying to kill you?

So in my opinion it doesn't make sense. I'd rather see a rule overhaul for the treasure deck. Or even a replacement for the misprinted miniboss cards (all have the boss icon right now & some heatups are wrong afaik) and just scrap the armor sets. I doubt that anyone would buy or even use these at all - so what's the point? A stack of money and material down the drain...

1 minute ago, SirDregan said:

Well I'm on board with redesigning them even if it causes delay. It really doesn't make sense to have armor set minis withouth weapons for the board game. I mean - it's an official expansion! But as far as I can see right now it is nothing more than a cosmetic option, so you would want to exchange your player mini for the armor set to reflect that in game. But why would you ruin the gaming mood by having your character slow clap while a big ass mega boss is trying to kill you?

It doesn't make sense at all. I'd rather see a rule overhaul for the treasure deck and just scrap the armor sets. I doubt that anyone would buy or even use these - so what's the point? A stack of money and material down the drain...

Well, i guess from the outset they have said the armor set expansion won't have weapons. it's an armor set expansion, it's for armor. if people are hopoing for the redesign to have weapons then they're probably going to be disappointed. it's my belief that bandai namco wanted SFG to use the emotes in some way so they put them on the thing that really matters the least -- the armor set expansion. and yea i get that people may not want to use them as their player character when they get those armors because the emotes are dumb. honestly, the whole armor thing was just poorly thought out. it shouldn't replace the character anyway, there should just be a slot for the armor on your character board or something. 

i agree with you, i'd rather see a rule overhaul or redesign than a model redesign of a poorly thought out armor set expansion. I mean all it really needs to be are some extra treasure cards. i guess it's hard to sell when it's just a couple cards, but it was my original understanding that it didn't even have cards. haha

Just now, squirtis said:

Well, i guess from the outset they have said the armor set expansion won't have weapons. it's an armor set expansion, it's for armor. if people are hopoing for the redesign to have weapons then they're probably going to be disappointed. it's my belief that bandai namco wanted SFG to use the emotes in some way so they put them on the thing that really matters the least -- the armor set expansion. and yea i get that people may not want to use them as their player character when they get those armors because the emotes are dumb. honestly, the whole armor thing was just poorly thought out. it shouldn't replace the character anyway, there should just be a slot for the armor on your character board or something. 

i agree with you, i'd rather see a rule overhaul or redesign than a model redesign of a poorly thought out armor set expansion. I mean all it really needs to be are some extra treasure cards. i guess it's hard to sell when it's just a couple cards, but it was my original understanding that it didn't even have cards. haha

I see - I wasn't even thinking about bandai namco. It seems plausible. And I get that you (and a lot of other people) don't care at all about using those minis.

I was really looking forward to that. My understanding was - as they are iconic armor sets - that you would swap out your mini if you got the armor set together (havel armor plus greatshield for example). Maybe even gain some kind of set bonus (+1 blue dice physical / magic defense or something). At least something that has relevance in the game. After all (and I know I'm repeating myself) it is a board game expansion. If I want miniatures to put on my shelf and look at I buy exactly that.

Oh well. At least the summons and invaders are looking battle ready. I'm excited to find out how those will play in game. And if they send cards with the armor set I'll use those too ;)

I am a hobbyist so the miniatures are very important to me. The entire range is beautiful... except the armor set. The armor is fine but the emote poses are boring. I'd like to see them redesigned with weapons in action poses so they are exciting to put on the board. A delay is fine with me. I'm in no rush.

I saw these photos yesterday and ... I must say I'm really disappointed by the armor set.

I don't really get all that "nazi" complaints in the kickstarter comments, I mean, it's obviously the emote from the game, but that doesn't change the fact that :

- Too many similar poses.

- emote poses aren't suited for exploring a dungeon, with encounters, and such. Lack a "fighting" atmosphere.

- They really should have weapon, like the basic weapon coming with each set, since there is no risk to mistake them with ennemies or summons due to the different color.

Unfortunately, I don't think SFG will restart from scratch on these, so I will probably not use them at all, and probably try to sell them as soon as I receive it.

By the way, someone made up a poll about that :
http://www.strawpoll.me/13830505

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm really disappointed with the armor set too. I'm sorry but I don't want a bunch of miniatures from a boardgame that are unplayable (come on, clapping/saluting in front of a boss? xD).

I would prefer a redesign, wouldn't mind if that delays the wave 2, although it would be better if only the armor sets are delayed, I'm even up to pay another shipping costs just for a redesigned armor sets.

Otherwise, I'll try to sell them or even give them away. Hope Steamforged to make a poll like they did to reopen the backerkit so we can see what everybody thinks.

As it stands, with the armor minis looking as they do. My opinion is that they should've just sold the armor cards for $5 in a blister pack. They could do that for more things things than just treasures. Say they come up with some event system mechanic or something else. Great just blister the deck of cards and sell. I think sales would be higher because of it being a small purchase that many would grab when they buy something else.

The armor expansion will be a dust collector in retail. People saying "It's fine because it's a freebie" are not keeping in mind that this is a product meant to be sold with a profit. If minis are disappointing only the completionists or people with too much money on their hands will buy it. Most won't spend $20-30 for 10 treasure cards when they dislike the minis.

All opinion is subjective of course, but I personally would be very willing to accept an additional delay to get them redesigned with action poses. Their purpose is to replace the player models when you find the armour miniatures respective equipment card so it doesn't make sense to me replacing the action pose of the player with an emote pose. I find it very immersion breaking when you have the dancer in a pose diving head on at you with a flaming sword and then your guy is just clapping in response. 

Emote poses are novelty and I feel they would have been better suited to something more like a limited edition range instead. 

1 hour ago, D S SIRIUS said:

I find it very immersion breaking when you have the dancer in a pose diving head on at you with a flaming sword and then your guy is just clapping in response. 

While I generally agree, if you summoned me to help with the Dancer and then you get grabbed by her early in start of the fight... I might just clap while waiting for the animation to end. :D 

2 minutes ago, Visceroth said:

While I generally agree, if you summoned me to help with the Dancer and then you get grabbed by her early in start of the fight... I might just clap while waiting for the animation to end. :D 

That would be fair! :D

My two cents on this.

As I stated before, I actually quite like the idea of having the armor sets do the ingame poses. I think it's a great alternative to having them start with random weapons equipped (which I would be fine with too). And the models themselves look quite good as well.

BUT

Why in th seven hells do seven of them do the exact same pose? There are more then plenty enough poses in the games for everyone to do something different.

You can't tell me that no-one at steamforged looked at them and said "Hey, maybe we should do something about the sameyness."

I really do hope they shuffle things around a bit.

Yes they are optional, and no I don't need to use them in the game, but to me, they would also look bad in a showcase...

SFG mention the armor sets in the latest update : 

Finally, last update we put a photo up of the Armour Set Expansion. We have had some mixed feedback relating to the armour sets not having weapons - some people liking the fact they have the in-game emotes...while others don't.

We always listen to the community and will of course always assess what we can/cannot do within practical realms. We are already in discussion with Bandai to see if this is even an option.

We will keep you updated - but please understand that although we cannot always act, we do always listen.

From the latest kickstarter update :

We have spoken to Bandai Namco over the armour set. Listening to the community is just as important to Bandai Namco as it is to ourselves here at SFG. Although we can't update everyone fully yet, the news is good. Once we are able to tell you more, we will - as always