• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
jongles

Best Guilds to do Demo Games with

I'm planning to teach some friends on how to play Guild Ball and I wanted to get y'alls opinions on what the best teams to perform demos with are. I've heard a lot of demos done with Butchers and Fishermen because they are the two extremes on the spectrum but Kick-off has Masons and Brewers in it. Thanks for the help!

Butchers v Fish is a very unstable match that ends quickly.  Brewers vs Masons is more forgiving since the teams are more durable but games can drag on with inexperienced players.  Personally I like to demo with Union since the 3 man Union starter box is a very flexible team.  Anything a new player tries probably works out.  If I'm giving the demo I use sBrisket, oRage Fangtooth for my team since I'm very bad at holding back.  If it was 2 newbies I might use Honor Mallet Flint for the other team.

if you want to show more of a scripted walkthorugh I like Butchers v Fish as it really highlights the 2 sides of the game, but if I want it to be a bit more interactive I like the Masons v Brewers as it allows people to try their own ideas. Normally depends on if the player/s have any previous wargaming experience.

For first games I always set the game up 3v3 midmatch, where the first move or two are obvious to cover the basic themes and then let the players find their own way. Also play to a low score, better to play a few 6 point games than one long game.

I think the Kick Off teams (Masons & Brewers) are well balanced opponents with enough of a difference in play styles for a good demo match up. I had no background in this type of thing at all.

I like running demos with the Cage Ball format. It is quick, less stuff going on, less space to manage, and adding a mascot to a 3 man team is hardly anymore information to stay on top of than the 3 man box. 4 Kick off models a piece works well.

Honor, Marbles, Mallet, Harmony (Could sub Brick for Mallet but easier this way)

Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Spigot (Could sub Spigot for most models)

Ox, Princess, Boiler, Brisket (Butchers are popular for newbies and think this balances with the above)

Shark, Salt, Jac, Sakana (more triggers than others but a fair 4 man, helps if you can supervise 2 players rather than play against one)

Blackheart, Coin, Decimate, Gutter (Mechamge is spot on about this being a solid 3, adding Coin is easy)

Alchemists, Morticians, Hunters, and Engineers I try to avoid completely if I can since there is so much going on. Farmers seem like another team with so much going on it would be tough to do. Could probably drop Iron and Ferrite and run the other 4 but I haven't tried it yet.