Hey Guys. So I got my Dark souls game and we hopped into it. We are full group of 4 and we are wondering how many souls you got for normal level 1 encounter where are 3 enemies. It's bit comfusing since the game is in different language than our native. Also you can use "Estus flask" anytime in your turn right? Also [2] there is quite a lot of items with very high stats to use are we doing something wrong ? :D

Thank you guys ;)
Have a nice day
-DryTEK

The level of an encounter does not matter; clearing a room nets the party 2 souls per hero, so 8 total for a group of 4.  Estus Flask can be used any time during a hero's turn except during another action.

A common mistake many new players make is drawing many treasures hoping to find something they can easily equip when they would be better off spending those souls to advance their stats.  Make sure you don't shuffle the stage 2 treasures into the treasure deck before you defeat the miniboss.

Personally I upgrade my stats based on the item I plan to equip. There is no use to upgrade your stats if you don't have anything to equip, and you might end up upgrading a stats you don't need.

So I buy an item fist, check who can equip it in my party, and if not possible, check if it is useful enough to warrant spending souls to upgrade stats.

But the game is, in my opinion, flawed.

By using the original rules, your treasure deck contains both low level and high level equipment. Meaning, if you're unlucky, you will draw only high level item at the beginning, requiring too many upgrades to equip, and if you manage to advance far enough, will end up with only low level items in the deck, or at least lower than what you already have.

For that reason, I use some kind of custom rules, inspired by the Tiered treasure deck rules someone came up with,  but only dividing the deck into 2 tier (one for the mini boss, the other for the main boss), and not dividing the deck between magic, chest and André.
That way, the play rely less on luck.