SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
Zorni

Tenderiser - How do you play him ?

Hello Guys,

French Butcher player here.

So the question is in the title,

I have this amazing model and I have yet to try it out.

- The big question is in an Ox team he can do some really good damage and KD, but can you make it works in a Fillet team ?

- Have you tried to play him upfield and not as a goal keeper ?

Please any comment, advices, experiences is welcome.

Cheers

Zorni

Good day!

I use him outfield as it is mystifying for your opponent (plus I think its funny ;)). I have managed a first turn goal with him which was super fun (also seismic kick is a thing...) and just using him to bash people about is brilliant.

He is currently sitting on having scored twice for me :)

Brilliant !

How do you use seismic kick ?

It seems rather hard to use as he only have 1 die for kicking and you can't really know where the ball will go. So it's hard to make a play with him to knock down, one or two other player.

I personally think seismic kick is somewhat situational but as long as you have momentum (not hard for butchers ;)) then he will always have 2 dice thanks to bonus time...even if he has all the crowd outs in the world.

In the case of a big scrum Ground Pound is highly recommended.

Tenderiser is a staple in my Fillet write up.  He has really done me proud.  I actually just use him as intended I reckon.

he sits back covering the goal to make approaches difficult and also block shot lanes.  He often spends the majority of the game without any influence.  I find a hungry filelet team tends to only have 3 real active players each turn who do most of the 'heavy lifting'.

tenderiser's ability to have some serious board control while also being cost effective with no influence on him has always kept him in my good books.  I have found his 5 TAC and play book tough to make him a scrapper in the front line with with Butchers.

in my Ox team I found he is great at shielding an ox blob of players in the early turns.  Just to stop an opponent isolating him or trying a 'bullet captain' approach.  He has staved off a number of big opponent activations with a charge then double push.

his two abilities seismic kick & ground & pound I find very situational.  Now with opponents getting momentum to go second a big scatter doesn't have as much weight.  His counter charge and +1 TH to shoot is enough for his inclusion for me in most games.  A perfect bunker to shield the ball on another player if you had too.

I agree, I find his anemic TAC makes him hard to leverage upfield. That said, I'm gong to experiment some more.

Hard to go wrong with just leaving him within 4" of the goal, but he could break up your opponent's attempts at forming s tight scrum. 

A seismic kick through the middle of his team is sure to knock a couple players down,  or ground pound off a low def player. 

I'm get back to you next week!

I found with old Ox his a low 3dmg makes him your best option for hitting lower def models. Against a DEF 3:1 target with just 1 gang up bonus he hits his KD 79% of the time, and then vs 2:1 he's hitting his 3dmg 80% of the time and his big play 40%. That's great under Ox. Whether new ox has the inf spare to stack him up is debatable.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:54 PM, malladin.ben said:

I found with old Ox his a low 3dmg makes him your best option for hitting lower def models. Against a DEF 3:1 target with just 1 gang up bonus he hits his KD 79% of the time, and then vs 2:1 he's hitting his 3dmg 80% of the time and his big play 40%. That's great under Ox. Whether new ox has the inf spare to stack him up is debatable.

When bringing a 1inf model Boar seems to do a lot more work than Tenderizer with new Ox, and I can't see myself bringing both

So I played 3 games yesterday one with Tenderizer against Mortician and Obulus.

We did not used a clock and all in all Tenderizer is not a good pick against Obulus, this guy has all the tools to shut Tenderizer down, dodge, puppet master etc.

I still won by taking out 6 played and 1 mascot. 

If we had been on the clock Tenderizer would be really powerfull has he is time consuming for your opponent and he is a fast activation : I.e you just have to position him well.

I may not have had much experience playing Tenderizer, but he is part of my first team. 

Ox, Boar, Brisket 1, Boiler, Tenderizer & Princess

Generally I keep Tenderizer within 4" of the goal with no influence, most of the time only allocating him influence to run him back to within 4" of the goal. I have had several times his rush keeper being a great deterrent, or even saving the day by knocking down the ball carrier right before the winning goal shot. 

No matter the captain, he would be a staple in my stable of Butchers.

I use him as goaltender too. No need for influence, just put him 4" away from the post and wait for rush keeper to kick in. It gives opponents pause for thought beofre racing in. 

Had one game where his goal defence messed up 3 stright shots from Bonesaw. It was awesome. 

5 hours ago, Redtiger7 said:

I use him as goaltender too. No need for influence, just put him 4" away from the post and wait for rush keeper to kick in. It gives opponents pause for thought beofre racing in. 

Had one game where his goal defence messed up 3 stright shots from Bonesaw. It was awesome. 

I've been trying out the 'everybody charge' list lately (all players have a reduced cost carge) which uses tenderiser in this capacity as a battery for the rest of the. You have fillet fully stacked, then vOx, truffles, boar and minx all get 1 inf each and you've got 1 spare for vOx or minx depending what needs doing. Then they've got 4 models they need to pin down - someone will get a charge off, usually several. You've also got 3 2" melee zones. Early days so far, but I want to give it a go at a tournament.

I think tenderiser's pretty crucial to this list - you place a model like boar just inside a 4" bubble from him and not even a 2" melee zone model can get in on him without triggering Tenderiser. You can extend the bubble to 5" if they've no 2" melee zone models.

2 hours ago, malladin.ben said:

I think tenderiser's pretty crucial to this list - you place a model like boar just inside a 4" bubble from him and not even a 2" melee zone model can get in on him without triggering Tenderiser. You can extend the bubble to 5" if they've no 2" melee zone models.

Almost; unfortunately, a 30mm model could be placed behind Boar so as to fully break LoS from Tederiser, making it impossible for the goalkeeper to declare the charge...

Still, I definitely like the idea :)

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Almost; unfortunately, a 30mm model could be placed behind Boar so as to fully break LoS from Tederiser, making it impossible for the goalkeeper to declare the charge...

You can get around this by having Tenderizer use Ground Pound  to knock down Boar so that he doesn't block line of sight.  Not that I'm saying it's a good idea to do so, but if they're coming to you, you know you'll have the momentum to stand Boar up when he needs to charge and you can spare the influence, it couldn't hurt to remember that interaction.

5 hours ago, Spinsane said:

Good point. Curiously whenever I've done it to protect a 40mm model, it's always been a 40 or 50mm model coming in on them. Works great for 30mm models, though as they're impossible to hide behind.

Sorry for taking so long to get back here.

I gave Big T a shot upfield and I was a bit disappointed. His low TAC makes it tough to really take advantage of his playbook. 

Like always, it's easy to look back at a game and see where you came up short. I should have made better use of crowd outs, but at the end of the day when a model is easy to use in the heat of the moment it makes for a good argument for using it.

That said, I think Tenderizer works best in his intended role. Check out the article linked in the Ox and Shank thread for a great anecdote on using Tenderizer.