I guess the rough ground is meant to be used to protect your harvest markers.  I think he's going to have a hard time competing with planters like Harrow and Millstone who give out Harvest Markers for no influence and have useful boons for their team independent of sowing.

Ploughman will not make my tournament 10.  He seems interesting enough for some casuals he can make 2 extra harvest makers with Grange+Millstone+Ploughman and 3 more. Benny+Windle+Buckwheat maybe. Big tar pit team I'm hoping the old man reaper will be be a 4inf max damage dealer. You can get a ton of inf currently but have nowhere to stack it. 

Unless, maybe, farmers can get another characters that gets massive bonuses for being in rough ground or fighting enemies in rough ground, preferably both.
When I used to work on a farm and me and my dad plowed potato field, there were three of us: me, leading the horse, the horse, dad with plough. So maybe it'll be a group of three models, where one makes rough ground and others utilize it as well as hm's.

Here are my first thoughts:

(1) I'm very very happy to finally get confirmation on 1-2 more Farmers. Thank you SF! With that we have 13-14 models to field, which is a respectable amount ;-)

(2) IMO the theme on this model is very well executed. All abilities on the back of his card are very fluffy, and I can immediately get a feeling for his role on the pitch.

(3) However, I'm a bit sad Farmers are getting another male model (especially since the 2nd scout report was a male as well). So far, we have only 2 out of 10 females in the guild, and that ratio seems to become worse now. For me, this is a major deterrent in making Farmers my No1 guild.

(4) On a side note, I would have liked him to have a name, not a job description...

(5) Now to playing him: he seems to be a one-dimensional force-multiplier. As far as I can see, he won't do much towards generating VPs himself.

Furthermore, he is very much a piece that wants to go first in a guild with many players (i.e. planters) who want to go first. Grange, Millstone and Harrow also want to activate early, but he is the most strict in that sense. The only exception I see is to use him with Jackstraw in order to poop out 3 (edit: not 4!) Harvest Marker for 3 INF at the end of the round.

However, his one trick might be essential for Farmers in years to come, when people have realized the potential of Harvest Markers and are used to destroying them by running/charging. That is also where Defend the Ground comes into play. Despite his one-dimensional design, he might be the one who enables Farmers to play like Farmers.

Edit: mistakes were made...

15 minutes ago, Commander Vimes said:

However, I'm a bit sad Farmers are getting another male model (especially since the 2nd scout report was a male as well).

You might be surprised, but the second scout report wasn't a male. ;)

1 hour ago, Commander Vimes said:

The only exception I see is to use him with Jackstraw in order to poop out 4 Harvest Marker for 3 INF at the end of the round.

That would result in 3 harvest markers, not 4, as when you place 'one or more' markers, you get to place an additional one.

We saw the art for Farrow (Fallow?) at the event  too. Old lady noted for her independence who nurtured and protects things until they get in trouble and the puts them out of their misery. Possibly some form of VP denial?

8 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

We saw the art for Farrow (Fallow?) at the event  too. Old lady noted for her independence who nurtured and protects things until they get in trouble and the puts them out of their misery. Possibly some form of VP denial?

I'm hoping for some kind of mascot kill focus. Particularly friendly Peck kill.

Also I think it was Fallow on my listen. The definition fits a bit better alongside Ploughman (plowed but unsown land) than Farrow (a litter of pigs). All this said I'm American so you all are naturally better at understanding the accent.

5 hours ago, Sid said:

It's Esters' sister! Superb, another pair of guild ball playing siblings.

Edit: oh and fallow land is left uncropped to rest and recuperate, usually as part of a crop rotation.

10 hours ago, Sid said:

Well, I happily stand corrected. The report itself mentioned a "he", so this really is a surprise ;-)

Do we have any more details (picture, artwork etc.)?

10 hours ago, Sid said:

I think he was referring to the Scouting Reports on the Steamforged website, and those were definitely both male. Obviously Ploughman is one of them (the second) and the first was specifically referring to a man.

"I write to you with great news! I've been able to secure a new player, he may seem a little over the hill but with age comes wisdom, and we could surely use some of that in our current line-up. In training matches he's shown a protective instinct towards his team-mates and I believe he will fit in with the other Guild Members without much trouble. Shall I progress and sign him up?"

Either they're pulling a bait and switch, or this isn't Fallow (or whatever), referred to above.

Well, the description does say "he", but that arm on the picture is undoubtedly Fallow's arm. 

And if the old lady prefers to be referred to as "he", then who are we to judge, right?  :D

8 minutes ago, Sid said:

Well, the description does say "he", but that arm on the picture is undoubtedly Fallow's arm. 

And if the old lady prefers to be referred to as "he", then who are we to judge, right?  :D

You're far more forgiving than I am...

And an underwhelming one at that, because he'll take the place of another Planter anyway, who would be bringing at least one harvest marker themselves. Plus harvest marker placement is crucial and having an additional designated area you want to plant them will just cause headaches for me.

There might be a situational use for all that rpigh ground. He'd be funny vs Midas. Just to rub it in ?

But seriously, most planters bring you 3 INF. Harrow doesnt but he brings tooled up, for which you have several awesome targets in the team, not sure ploughman brings enough to make up for that lack of INF.

Maybe if he brought some cheese, chutney and a selection of cold meats...

I do think he is underwhelming but i can see him overlapping aoes with hunters forests and terrain to give that free glide. Not worth fielding fro that but the hijinxs are there.

So can we get a small check on one of his rules?

I'm 100% happy that if Ploughman places 1 rough ground (1 inf) and then Jack straw drops crop dusting on it (2 inf) then in total there will be 3 harvest markers.

However. What if Ploughman drops 2 right ground (2 inf) within 30mm of each other and then Harrow uses his free harvest token drop so that it touches both rough ground... is that 2 harvest markers or 3? I'd personally assume 3.

3 hours ago, BigGrumpyGamer said:

However. What if Ploughman drops 2 right ground (2 inf) within 30mm of each other and then Harrow uses his free harvest token drop so that it touches both rough ground... is that 2 harvest markers or 3? I'd personally assume 3.

It says if 'you drop one or more markers' you get 'one extra marker'.  Doesn't matter how many rough grounds, so in your example you'd still get 2 markers and not 3.

On 13/08/2017 at 9:13 PM, Sid said:

Or more likely, Giblin made a booboo when he made the blog post. Who can say!?