Sign in to follow this  
Sherwin

Scholar's Guild Summer Challenge Results

Hi guys!

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who took part in the Scholar's Guild Summer Challenge. It's been great to see so many of you get involved, and I've had an awful lot of fun reading through your submissions. I especially loved how several of you interwove existing characters and the Guild Ball universe into your stories, often in subtle and characterful ways.

Choosing winners was very difficult as so many entries were of a very high standard, but I've read through them all and posted winners below. Congratulations to @TwoBands, @Paelan, and @Cutegoth13!

1st Place - Red Skies at Dawn, by TwoBands.

2nd Place - Bag of Tricks, by Paelan

3rd Place - Waiting for the Wheat Poppy to Ripen, by Cutegoth13

Also, just a quick shout-out to the following - each of your stories were extremely close to the top three, and I wanted to just give you a well-deserved word of appreciation.

Seyfret, Astronomer Savant, by Siberys

A Rookies Reflection, by Charlie

Call of the Wild, by Lumpyseven

Welcome to the Big Leagues, by Redtiger7

Thanks everyone for taking part, and I look forward to the next one!

Sherwin

I look forward to it. The best part about events for me is having the chance to speak with our fans that really enjoy the world and characters in it, and the seminars are always a lot of fun. You guys really humble me with your enthusiasm.

With regards to Red Skies at Dawn, I really enjoyed how you captured Honour in your story, I think you smashed your take on her character out of the park.

That's the hardest thing in writing I reckon, getting an established character right. Nice work nailing it!

And congratulations to everyone - winners, honourable mentions and entrants. Given the enthusiasm people showed, I reckon we can have another contest sometime :)

I'll be in touch with the winners to sort out prize delivery later today ;)

I'm in a little bit of shock here. I nearly didn't write anything and then when I finally did, I nearly didn't submit. Kind of glad I didn't read the other entries beforehand or I definitely would have been too nervous.

Thanks so much. I'm so glad you liked it.

1 hour ago, Sherwin said:

I look forward to it. The best part about events for me is having the chance to speak with our fans that really enjoy the world and characters in it, and the seminars are always a lot of fun. You guys really humble me with your enthusiasm.

With regards to Red Skies at Dawn, I really enjoyed how you captured Honour in your story, I think you smashed your take on her character out of the park.

Thanks. It was actually a worry that I was using too many established characters and they were overshadowing Crook. The idea, of course, was to have a 3rd party perspective on him. I worried the ending was too abrupt, as I hit exactly 1000 words, so had to speed up his development in a single paragraph, but as long as it didn't come across as trite, I can hold my head up high ?

Crook is actually one of the original Farmers I created back in pre-season when I first started campaigning for a Farmers Guild, so he's been waiting in the creative wings for almost 3 years! He was originally intended to be a veteran player rather than a rookie, so it was an interesting twist to fit him into the actual Farmers that you guys came up with.

It's great to have had this motivation / deadline to press my writing on, as I've had a lot of GB stories brewing but can't always find the time to put them to paper.

Here's hoping this will spark some more work published in this section!

19 minutes ago, Paelan said:

I'm in a little bit of shock here. I nearly didn't write anything and then when I finally did, I nearly didn't submit. Kind of glad I didn't read the other entries beforehand or I definitely would have been too nervous.

Thanks so much. I'm so glad you liked it.

I'm glad that you did. The touch of humour you injected into the piece when Toolbox was searching for something to use against Boar was a very nice touch - not overstated, just subtle enough to earn a chuckle and then move on with the story so that the pace kept up.

Great work! I really hope that this is encouragement to keep you writing!