kaladorm

When would you take Bonesaw over Mist?

Per the title I'm struggling to figure out where Bonesaw fits in. I played him and Mist together recently, allowing Bonesaw to football dervish twice and get a T1 goal, with Mist following up to get a T2 goal. Trouble is his big base made it hard to fit through gaps without taking parting blows, and he couldn't get back in the game quite as quickly as Mist. What is it that Bonesaw can do better?

My list of 9 is currently Obulus, Dirge, Casket, Cosset, Ghast, Graves, Silence, BP&M and Mist. I'm torn now between my 10th being Scalpel or Bonesaw.

Any thoughts?

Can't help you there as I like scalpel and Bonesaw as a pair... she's a good target for his passing shenanigans, and combining second wind and his heroic has let me retrieve balls from the other side of the other team once or twice!

I've not gotten enough practice in to notice his base size being much of an issue, or to make use of his clearance with unexpected arrival, but I like him anyway.

Yeah as Mako says Bonesaw is a good pairing for Scalpel, between them they can get 2 goals in a game usually. 

Unexpected Arrival is great for clearing enemies away from my Furious players, and his heroic really helps him get in the right place.

As for the original question, I don't think I would take him in place of Mist, he's too much work to be the primary goalscorer, but I would definitely take him alongside Mist if I was gunning for 2 or 3 goals. Mist, Bonesaw, BPM and either Obulus or Scalpel can form a formidable football team.

I'm gonna go ahead and say never. I don't ever build a team that uses both. I suppose an argument can be made if you wanted a striker team... But then why play Morticians haha. 

Bonesaw has some consistency issues. The more you try and make him work the more he'll let you down in that key moment. If Morts added a player with "football legend" I could see him working better. But now Mist is just better in every way. 

I think Bonesaw heroic play is very good in many situations, especially using with charge to make unexpected arrival. Playing him is quite more control than mist. As a Spooky player, I prefer Bonesaw than mist and never pick him with mist. Both Scalpel and Obulus are good captain to him too. 

I don't think any team needs both Bonesaw AND Mist. Both Scalpel and Obulus are very capable of 1 goal each and both captains give you plenty of chances to get the 2 take outs as well.

I was unable to make a run on goal this week as I was engaged by Jack Straw with this 2" melee and a :T: on one or 2 of his playbook. His parting blow took the ball. Mr Straw is surprisingly mobile for a scarecrow! 

Bonesaw with a 2" melee would be more difficult to counter. At the moment you just sit out side his reach and wait for him to see if "Slippery" is good enough. It has yet to be good enough for me.

25 minutes ago, kaladorm said:

So extending the question then, suppose we took Bonesaw as our striker instead of Mist, what Union player fits into the slot better than Mist?

I am tempted by Minx. Furious Charge and snared are both available from her. A long charge distance too.

2 hours ago, dwhite87 said:

Can I use Bonesaw's heroic to charge through a model and hit him from behind, which could help me push that model towards the rest of my team?

You could, but then you're putting Bonesaw in the middle of your opponent's team.  You're spending two influence and 1 momentum to try not to spike low in order to trade a take out for a take out.  Maybe worth while with Casket but Obulus and Cosset both do the same thing more safely.

Yeah, not exactly practical unless I had Second Wind up. But good to know its an option. If the model I'm trading Bonesaw for is a captain or something, than I'd do it.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:12 AM, dwhite87 said:

Yeah, not exactly practical unless I had Second Wind up. But good to know its an option. If the model I'm trading Bonesaw for is a captain or something, than I'd do it.

It is more interesting when he's behind terrain. He can just ignore it an go for a charge.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:36 PM, JacctheInsomniac said:

Farmers and Brewers I think.

Blowing apart the scrum with Unexpected Arrival could be devastating.

Also, scoring a turn one goal with him by charging behind one model and doing unexpected arrival. Try to take out a late turn Bonesaw now at 5-0 while everyone is away from him now. If you end up winning turn one he can come right back and score again, or come in with someone else. Morts are never going to win 12-0, I have to always feel comfortable sacrificing a model to get 4 points.