Sign in to follow this  
Wynter

The Scarecrow Goal

Does anyone have a reasonable method for the Scarecrow goal yet?

The aim as far as I can see is to dump a couple of harvest markers (by way of Crop Dusting) in the previous turn to enable Jack to teleport within the 4" of the goal for a tap in.

I can cope with the first bit, but getting momentum at the start of the following turn with Jack is pretty tricky. The best I could come up with this evening was hopping to a Harvest Marker and then charging Ballista in the hope that I'd get 4 hits off 7 dice to enable be to get the momentous KD. Naturally, he did a defensive stance and I didn't get it, so hopped back to the Harvest Marker with the ball.

Jack was later pushed off the pitch by Harry in the closing stages of the game. Sigh!

It's pretty much a set it up "just in case" situation imo. Considering I only like Jack with Thresher, and in a Thresher team I think him and the other Reaper (in my experience usually Tater) are easier to get goals with. The momentum generation becomes a non issue because if it's set up typically Jack will be doing it as a slingshot goal.

Granted I've only proxied a couple of games with the farmers but a Jackstraw goal requires a LOT of set-up IMHO. You need enough harvest markers in the right place to move him around. If he has the ball and he's close sure maybe. But with TAC 3 getting the ball is possible but I don't see being able to charge to get the ball, then teleport around, and then get a shot on goal. Not without wasting a lot of Harvest markers that are better used elsewhere. 

For me I like to keep him mid-field. Throw down crop dusting and be there to pick up a free ball or impede an enemy striker. Using him as a striker is just a bad idea, I think. It's not efficient, it's not reliable, and it's not what he's meant to do.

He's better to score late turn in my opinion - you are more likely to have 'spare' Harvest markers and the momentum that you need. I have used him to score last activation many times before.

I once used Grange's legendary to give Jackstraw two markers to play with. Then at Jackstraws activation, after teleporting to a marker with his trait I had enough inf to teleport again, sprint and kick a winning goal. That caught my enemy off-guard. Ofc I had the momentum from previous activations of the same turn.

15 hours ago, Hoju said:

I once used Grange's legendary to give Jackstraw two markers to play with. Then at Jackstraws activation, after teleporting to a marker with his trait I had enough inf to teleport again, sprint and kick a winning goal. That caught my enemy off-guard. Ofc I had the momentum from previous activations of the same turn.

This is how I've got several goals out of him - in different games of course. It's possible to get the momentum out of Jackstraw for a first activation goal I guess, but obviously requires a lot of things to be set up right beforehand.

I usually keep him on the wings of the board, away from the opposing team and pass to him to keep the ball safe (4/10" passes help!). Generate some momentum/harvest tokens with the rest of the team to set him up.

He doesn't score in every game though. Sometimes just holding the ball and teleporting around to pass it off to someone else or keeping it safe is enough from him since he generates tokens.

I got a Jack Goal today when my opponent thought they had the ball safely secured. Jack jumped in, Tackled the ball from 2" away, then sprinted 4" into kick range of the goal. 

Boom, game over.