• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
tehlon

Introducing: ANIMAL BALL - The greatest/fluffiest game of Guild Ball you've ever played.

ANIMAL BALL

(Created by Lon Sims)

Special thanks to everyone in the Guild Ball Zone discord channel who provided playtesting and feedback for these rules.

Ever wonder what your creatures are up to when not with their teams? What Fun does Fahad have in her free time? How does Salt spend his Summers? Well… They play Ball of course!

WELCOME TO ANIMAL BALL!! The next evolution in sport which is taking the Empire of the Free Cities by Storm! In this ferocious show of fang and claw - onlookers come to realize just how essential and talented these balls of fur (or scales) can be. The speeds are blistering, the teamwork is crucial, and the brutality is downright lovable. Never so quickly have you seen a crowd go from “aww” to “ouch”!

Draft your squad from ALL AVAILIBLE mascots and use your limited resources to pilot your critters to victory.

Rules:

• Animal Ball is played on a 2ft x 2 ft pitch.

• The proving grounds mat has this built in (demo)

• If you are using a standard mat, square off the center 2 feet. The front of the goals are placed 4 inches from the back line. Deployment is 6 inches from the back line.

• Each team is comprised of 6 MASCOT models chosen via Draft (See Draft Section).

• The game is played to 6VPs. (mascots are still worth 1vp per take out)

• For a slightly longer game, you may opt to reduce goals to 3VPs.

• All friendly models count as friendly guild models.

• NO HEALING via “take a breather lad” or “come on mate”. You may clear conditions as normal.

• Plot cards are not used in this format.

• Unless mentioned above, all standard rules from the core Guild Ball game apply.

• For a slightly more action packed game, you may opt to increase each team’s influence pool by 2 during allocation. (see standard rules for goal influence)

• Proxies may be necessary. Ensure you and your opponents are clear on exactly which model is what mascot. Write it down if necessary.

Drafting:

• All Mascot cards from the Guild Ball Universe shall be available to draft. Place all of the cards on the middle of the pitch.

• Roll off to determine who goes first.

• Bans: Banning a Card/Model removes it from the pool. It may no longer be selected.

• The first player will Ban a single card.

• The second player will Ban a single card.

• Draft: This is a snake draft. The first player will pick a single model, followed by the second player picking two, followed by the first player picking 2 until each has 6 models.

• Player 1 picks 1.

• Player 2 Picks 2. Player 1 Picks 2.

• Player 2 Picks 2. Player 1 Picks 2.

• Player 2 picks 2. Player 1 picks 1.

• After the draft is complete. Roll off to determine Kicker/Receiver. The kicker deploys their entire team and nominates a kicker. The receiver deploys their entire team. Kick off and enjoy the game!

Tips:

• The Small field and generally high MOV of mascots make for an extremely dynamic game. Use it to your advantage.

• The combination of low TAC and high DEF/ARM make crowd outs EXTREMELY important.

• A low INF pool means Mascots which have free abilities are at a premium.

• Goals, while worth proportionally more points, are also much riskier due to low KICK stats.

• Not all Mascots are created equal. Some may seem highly effective versus their counterparts. If you are worried about a particular model – use your ban or make sure to pick it first!

• HAVE FUN! This is Animal Ball.

This is a living rule set hosted here:

http://www.guildball.zone/animal-ball/

http://animalball.guildball.zone (coming soon)

1 hour ago, Ik-tornado said:

Blacksmiths forever regretting not getting a pony.

#apprenticepony #apprenticemascotpony

Played this format w/ Lon (although before the bans), it was a lot of fun.  

People should definitely actually test this out. Homelands Cup was unbalanced in boring ways, Oh Captain is decent but randomness means you'll have some lame games, Doubles is fun but is susceptible to the commander problem, but this has legs to be a legitimately fun and different format. 

Got to play this last night and it was pretty different. I think it's best as a beer and pretzels type game. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating/ confusing on what you should do. Other times it was pretty fun and ridiculous. It's funny how certain abilities look pretty meh, but in this format are kind of nuts (like main spring blowing up can almost kill scum).

We messed up a few things and changed a few rules to try and make things interesting.

*We used plot cards but took out the ones that require captains and only kept two. In retrospect we should have just not used them.

*We changed truffles and vileswarms vindictive [human] to vindictive [mascot] to make them more appealing.

*We also used terrain which I think was a mistake. With a lot of mascots being around tac 2-3 and most having 1 armor it can really stop you from being able to do things. We had 2 pieces of cover and one fast ground and it felt like too much.

All in all it was pretty fun. The teams were:

Me: Truffles, strongbox, mother, mainspring, Naja, and tentacles.

Opponent: scum, princess, Fahad, snow, dirge, and coin.

Tough hide is worth it's weight in gold. Princess and scum were still very scary. Princess almost one rounded mother with a charge from Fahad. I managed to win 6 - 3. Scum charged the cricket with the ball, killed him causing him to explode and finish off scum for the win.

One note though is that marbles is pretty useless in this format as is. I would say just give him regular counter charge. I don't think it would break anything or push him over the edge.

Marbles without Honour and without Brick is basically just a Goad machine, with an easy momentous tackle result. Giving him regular counter-charge would be something to try out, as he can become hugely annoying to deal with.

I actually am surprised I don't see anything said about Wrecker, though. Defensive stats of 2+/3 against creatures that usually have only 2 or 3 TAC just makes him impervious against anything but charges. On top of that, he has very easy to tackles, pushes and knockdowns, and has the second-furthest movement range due to Rollerball (10"). [Salt has the furthest, with a 9" sprint and 4" WtG dodge making 13"] Makes him a pretty good ballcarrier, right? And as @tehlon already mentioned, this game of mascots would be heavily based on getting crowd-out bonuses. Guess what Wrecker is good at breaking or setting up using Rollerball's free Ramming Speed...?

Goad is alright, and I though tackles we're more prevalent for some reason (7 out 18 have a tackle on one, and 5 are momentus). I just think counter charge gives him that unique quality.

I was thinking about wrecker after our game. He does look really good for all the points you mentioned, but also that's not a ball might prevent a lot of mascots from being able to score. If they only have a Max of 2 and the really need to sprint then they're out luck.

A bit of 'threadomancy' here.

Had 2 games of this last night.

We played with +2 INF pre team and allowed the 'vindictive' to apply to mascots as we both had one with that trait.

The banned creatures were Mother and Wrecker.

I had Vileswarm, Fahad, Mainspring, Princess, Coin & Strongbox.

Against Buckwheat, Quaff, Dirge, Truffles, Marbles & Snow. 

I won both the first was a goal by Fahad and the second a goal by Vileswarm. Who knew he had a 2/4 kick! 

The inability to heal in this form of the game makes them very vulnerable, except for Truffles! (Tough hide!)

On 2/2/2018 at 4:50 AM, The Old Buzzard said:

The banned creatures were Mother and Wrecker.

Never don't ban Naja. OPOP

On 2/2/2018 at 4:50 AM, The Old Buzzard said:

The inability to heal in this form of the game makes them very vulnerable, except for Truffles! (Tough hide!)

Kinda have to remove healing because low inf pool and high DEF/ARM relative to TAC make doing sustained damage difficult. Things would never die if they could pop 4 a go. 

Glad you tried it and had fun! :)

It was a second go at it as the guy I played against enjoyed it so much last time.:)

The extra INF made it easier to make things happen.

From looking at Naja's card I can't understand why he needs to be banned. Especially by comparison with the 3 ARM of Wrecker and the movement shenanegans of Mother. 

The vulnerability of the 'critters' is one of the features that makes this form of the game fun. Commitment and risk are very finely balanced. When Vileswarm blew up he made a mess. I had him in the right place!  "Are you sure you want to do a parting blow on him?" ;)

On 2/4/2018 at 3:05 AM, The Old Buzzard said:

From looking at Naja's card I can't understand why he needs to be banned. Especially by comparison with the 3 ARM of Wrecker and the movement shenanegans of Mother. 

It's mostly the 2" melee and Unpredictable Movement. There's only one other mascot that can interact with Naja - Tentacles, who I think is similarly powerful with 2" melee, Close Control, and one of the best kick stats of any mascot.

I'm pretty much with Sam. The few times I've played this out it seemed to me Naja had to be kicked out or else would almost certainly be picked first every time (one folks learn how to min max). It's not like regular UPM where a good mix of characters can shut it down. It's literally maybe 1 character on your team can even touch the Snake, and they require such a relative large influence investment.

Tentacles is almost equally as bad, considering how insane it is to get the ball of a 4+/1 with close control when the best TAC you got is 4.

Wrecker is real strong though you are right. His Armor makes him a virtual tank. One thing to look out for, though, is Wrecker tends to like to get crowded super hard in this format. Once the # of dice get to a certain point it is real easy for "damage dealers" like scum and princess to put him in the dirt.

Mother, along with a few others, is a solid choice purely due to being able to do something for nothing. In a format with extremely limited influence free abilities are worth a lot. Coin, Fahad, Quaff, Strongbox. All of these are excellent picks.

Fahad and Strongbox were mint for me in this. Snow was taken out twice. 3/4 kick on Mainspring I thought would be 'a thing' but he was never in the right place. 

He pushed Manspring into the pitch rather than off it with Quaff.  Mistake.