Do we know if SFG plans to update rules at all? The game seems rather tough. I was on the no house rules train, but last night my gf were playing and we had 2 level 1 encounters and 2 level 2 encounters for the winged knight, and the first level 2 room was 3 silver knight swordsmen and 2 silver knight bowmen. we got slaughtered two times, and the third attempt barely made it through. In any case, this was entirely gear dependent. Maybe the difficulty curve is more geared for 4 player? Anyway, if we played a round like that again she will likely never want to play again, hahahah. I still had fun :rolleyes:, but it really takes the wind out of anyone who's not ready to replay a bit.

Are they planning any revisions? It's easy in a video game, but i don't know how board games usually work as this is my first one. If not then i may have to hop on house rules before i'm single, lol.

I do not wish to shoot your opinion down, but I personally disagree after my personal playthroughs: Im looking for ways to make game more playable by making it harder. In current form it is too easy: AFTER you get through the start, which is always the (only) difficult part of the game.

There is just too little curve on the difficulty: once you get through the start, the snowball effect kicks in for you (the players), while the enemies do not scale up in comparison.

The problem in you encounter seems to have been, that you got one of the more difficult encounters on your game by random. Encounter you describe is definitely the hard part of the game. but as you said, it was winnable after few wipes, by grinding the other two encounters for the souls to get more equipment to win it. That seems to be the point of the game, gear is everything.

The game to me feels a lot more difficult on 4 players than on 2, as there is less sparks, AND more time until one character can activate again, meaning a lot more planning required. While 4 players have a lot more health, and might be able to wield more of the weapons looted, the team is as good as its weakest link (as if one dies, the encounter is lost).

2 hours ago, Fronx said:

I do not wish to shoot your opinion down, but I personally disagree after my personal playthroughs: Im looking for ways to make game more playable by making it harder. In current form it is too easy: AFTER you get through the start, which is always the (only) difficult part of the game.

There is just too little curve on the difficulty: once you get through the start, the snowball effect kicks in for you (the players), while the enemies do not scale up in comparison.

The problem in you encounter seems to have been, that you got one of the more difficult encounters on your game by random. Encounter you describe is definitely the hard part of the game. but as you said, it was winnable after few wipes, by grinding the other two encounters for the souls to get more equipment to win it. That seems to be the point of the game, gear is everything.

The game to me feels a lot more difficult on 4 players than on 2, as there is less sparks, AND more time until one character can activate again, meaning a lot more planning required. While 4 players have a lot more health, and might be able to wield more of the weapons looted, the team is as good as its weakest link (as if one dies, the encounter is lost).

Yea the starting hard part is pretty much half the game if you're only playing to a mini boss, which is what we've done. Maybe the base items need to be a little stronger. All I have played are two games where we started fresh and played to a mini boss. Yea it gets easier with gear, but that starting part is something everyone will experience when playing so everyone will get a taste of the game being too hard. Perhaps they should just have parties start with a certain amount of souls to make up for the difficulty at the beginning. So you're saying it's too hard at the beginning and too easy after getting some gear.

If the game didn't take so long then that starting difficult part wouldn't be so bad but it takes a while to get over that and knowing you're going to lose to a room before you enter just sucks. Weapon upgrades are a necessity when they have 3 armor and you can only role a black die. 4 player might be harder but the herald is also a lot more effective since some of his support effects the whole party and for a room like the one I described the extra health pools help to mitigate a lot of the damage. Those guys hit for 5 and 4 each swing, effectivly killing us in the first round unless we got some really lucky rolls.

Frankly, I tend to agree with the OP.

The fact that the treasure deck is composed of every card the game has to offer make the playthrough too random.

Tried 3 times with the original rules, but each time I purchased items from the deck, they were way to high level for me too equip (needing serveral stats at tier2 or 3).

Then I tried with the house rule, where the deck is divided into mid-boss deck and boss-deck, leaving high level equipment only in the boss deck. 

That was a game changer, with way more things to equip, and ultimately, the behavior you described, with a difficult start, and at some point, everything becoming easier, which was the moment we decided to tackle the mid-boss.

But then came the boss (Ornstein & Smough), with harder encounters, and difficulty came back. In the end, we ended up battling only once with the boss(es) due to lack of sparks.