Sign in to follow this  
Redtiger7

Does the pitch need to be 3' wide?

I've been noticing in my games lately that there's usually this huge strip of the pitch, either on top on bottom, that never gets used the entire game. Checked out some of the vids from this year's Vengence, and noticed that play pretty much stayed in the center "lane", unless a player came back on the field. I'm wondering if we need all that space. Would reducing the  field width impact the game? Players returning to the pitch usually return on the edge closest the action. Only thing I can see is maybe making support from the wing more effective, but I doubt that's very game breaking (not when compared to Furious) 

One thing I did notice from the Vengence videos: The corners of the pitch were covered in piles of tokens and rulers, etc.... ANd that's one of my issues with the pitch size: having a table that's not too small and still allow you to have all your cards and bits without interfering with the board. 

Those margins are pretty important since players can be taken out by being pushed off the pitch.  The 4-6" at the edges are a dangerous place to be, so narrowing the actual mat size will also narrow the effective mat size.

Scoring doesn't need to be made easier by any means, but I do think the width of the pitch would get more use if goals were 2x4" rectangles or something similar instead of 50mm markers.  It's often important though to try and control where the center point of the game occurs anyway though and the edges make a good buffer to that end.  It's one of those things where if you feel like its not being utilized, you should try and use it and see if you can gain anything by directing the game to one side or another.  Terrain setups can also help make this happen.

The pitch size, as it is, is just fine.  Those edges, that you've noticed, don't get used enough or at all, aren't important until you get a 4 inch push towards one.  Double that 4 inch push from certain characters, like Chaska and then suddenly all the real estate you can muster on the sides becomes entirely important.

I think its a case that they are there to be space. If you tried playing on a 2' wide, then it would make for a really cramped middle, with lots of crowd outs and scrums. the width offers the options to try and go round either side. It also slows down the return of downed players. I find I use the 2 wings as a way of pressurising the enemy. Maybe I'll kick to one of them, making it hard for them to safely retrieve the ball, or I run a winger down one side to give me a goal threat that is away from their main body of models, or even I use it to kick the ball to to try and stop them retrieving it so easily. If your game is 2 hitty teams then you will see a lot less of the flanks used.