Sign in to follow this  
WookieeGunner

Can Butchers play football?

26 minutes ago, WookieeGunner said:

I know this is probably a weird question, but can you build a Butcher team that reliably wins 2-2 instead of targeting 1-4?

Short answer: yes.

Fillet, Truffles, either Brisket, Shank, Decimate/Minx and a flex slot has an easy time playing for 3-0 or 2-2.

I think Butchers can do a pretty good job of going 2-2, but it's worked best for me when I go for the two take-outs first.  In particular, the first time I get the ball I'll often kill it for a while to get some take-outs (or at least set them up) before going for goals.  If you can get up by four points and have Brisket sitting in the middle for an immediate counter-score, it's tough for footballing teams to act.  If they start the goal ping-pong you should win, and if they don't you can keep hunting them down for take-outs.

I've also had success scoring when my whole team is in the enemy half of the pitch and has generally disrupted things.  There can be opportunities where the natural thing is to look for the next take-out, but if you look carefully you can find a goal opportunity instead and it's often not guarded against as well as when people are facing footballing teams.  I usually include Minx and she can be great at that kind of thing.

However, if you go in with that approach -- start by going for a couple take-outs or invading the enemy half of the pitch -- you can easily end up with a 1-4 result even if you're looking for goal opportunities.

I think that Butcher's sit in a really nice space right now.

With Fillet the team is so flexible.

My main six that I run are this.

Fillet, Truffles, vBrisket, Boar/Meathook/Shank (choice of two of those three for the match up), Minx

I find that this team can really do whatever I want it to.

It can get after some take outs. It can go score goals. It just has to be played with some thought. 

Don't (DO NOT) get into a big dog pile in the middle of the field. That will just get your guys taken out. Pick a target and take it out.

Between a fully operational Fillet, or a two or three model wind up between Boar, Meathook, Shank and Minx you should be able to get a model or two per turn.

I also use Pain Circle pretty liberally if Meathook does not already have Fillet's target bleeding yet. The extra damage and dodging is worth the two influence in most situations. Keep in mind I said most. If there is a big bunch of enemies I might just spend the two on a charge and go for a Blood Rain instead.

Shank is great to deal some damage and help with ganging up situations. He is also a flexible scoring model if needed.

Meathook is there to do all the normal Meathook things.

Boar does Boar stuff. Keep him around a Brisket if needed in the middle to help throw a dodge on him to get a charge off.

When this gets rolling it is pretty crazy. It usually turns into a decision of do I want to give the ball back with a goal or just go for the cleaning up 4-1. The 2-2 is always there. If you get two goals off with vBrisket...oh buddy!

I did very well with my Fillet Butchers when I used them at Tournaments and lot of the time I would win with Three Goals.

My Roster most games was Fillet, Princess, Meathook, vBrisket, vOx and Harry.

Nice to read this is a thing! Am looking to start Guild Ball, and looking at Butchers, but only if I could make a scoring variant. That's what the game is about, right?

I've used the same team as @Kueller and find it tends to win 2-2 a lot for me, and has the option for 3-0 If your opponent refuses to engage.

Fillet and vBrisket both threaten the ball from quite a distance away, and a turn 1 goal from vBrisket when you receive and have Harry is difficult to stop and sets you up nicely for the rest of the game.

On 11/08/2017 at 5:47 AM, ttsgosadow said:

Nice to read this is a thing! Am looking to start Guild Ball, and looking at Butchers, but only if I could make a scoring variant. That's what the game is about, right?

Yep,  they have a very viable kicking game but with the added threat of some serious beat down.

it makes opponents react differently to how they would play against a pure football team.

Fillet (I would say) is the go to captain for her flexibility on goal scoring threat to individual beat downs too.

the goal scoring team I would also say should have one of the briskets (I currently prefer the Vet one just for the repositioning support) & Shank.  A lot of people put him down in S3, but i find his speed and ability to retrieve/pressure the ball valuable.  Between him and Fillet your opponent will find it super hard to hide the ball.

I have found that VOx is useful for the footballing game.  His 3/6 kick stat is solid for Butchers, and an extra two inch model is never bad for providing crowd outs.