Steamforged

PITCH FORMATIONS THEORY THREAD

21 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I would like to see clarification on ball interception though - if the ball is intercepted by a receiver player does that mean they can put it on any model? (RAW they could but RAI I don't think is intended)

@TheLieutenant just clarified this one in the other thread - a receiving model intercepting or snapping the ball from their deployment position doesn't count as being within the kickers half effectively, so no transferring it about :) 

Granite bothers me too - miss tarpit 2017 getting to start engaged with my poor morticians is not how I want games to go!

2 hours ago, Mako said:

@TheLieutenant just clarified this one in the other thread - a receiving model intercepting or snapping the ball from their deployment position doesn't count as being within the kickers half effectively, so no transferring it about :) 

Granite bothers me too - miss tarpit 2017 getting to start engaged with my poor morticians is not how I want games to go!

But I'd be willing to bet more people will play her now.

25 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

But I'd be willing to bet more people will play her now.

I never understood the dislike for her, my usual opponent likes her and if I'm not really careful she ties down half my team and they can't get loose before they're beaten to death! :D

11 minutes ago, Mako said:

I never understood the dislike for her, my usual opponent likes her and if I'm not really careful she ties down half my team and they can't get loose before they're beaten to death! :D

That's pretty much what I've found as well.  All the Masons players complain she's rubbish, but when I play against her she's an enormous pain for me.

So Granite deploys on the line, Masons kick off and she grabs the ball. Seems strong. 

I think it pushes one of my many loves of the new format: playing with previously benched models. Granite under standard deployment is a mass liability as after her kick-off and move, she struggles with threat ranges (in my experience). Under the new system you can put her in your opponent's face and now they HAVE to deal with her. Which seems how she was intended.

I love that people are reaching for different models from their cases now, as the +8" MOV buff (essentially) turns a lot of poor models into stars (hello Fangtooth!).

Update on the blog:

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/pitch-formations-feedback-update

The most glaring problem in theory is a Mortician receiving while having B&M and A&G on the centre line. That's a whole lot of space they are denying and could be a danger of repeating A&G's season 1 problem when they were taken not because of they were good players but because of the strategic advantage of having an extra player, no matter how good they are. My suggestion would be to have Greede and Memory deploy after the rest of both teams have deployed, this eliminates the advantage of the extra player.

Maybe add a rule that you can't place an "additional" model on a line with more than 2? That lets you have an extra model forward without letting you potentially get 24+" of coverage.

@EpicChris - I’m putting this in the Theory thread but replying to something from the Feedback thread.

The problem with Lump deployment isn’t so much the “lock-out” in and of itself, but rather the effect that has on the first turn. And this is the same reason why the “full counter-draft” is a problem, too. There are four possible outcomes;

1 - The Receiver deploys very favorably for himself, but the Kicker is able to very favorably counter-draft. The teams start on roughly even keel.
2 - The Receiver deploys very favorably for himself, but the Kicker makes a drafting mistake. The first turn is heavily skewed towards the Receiver.
3 - The Receiver deploys poorly, and the Kicker counter-drafts very favorably. The first turn is heavily skewed toward the Kicker.
4 - The Receiver deploys poorly, and the Kicker makes drafting mistakes. The teams start on roughly even keel.

The problem with this is that, when players’ skill levels are mismatched, 2 and 3 will be much, much more common than the other outcomes. This method of deployment is, counter-intuitively, way more skill-testing than Alternating.

That’s not to say that Alternating is perfect; Lump was conceived to address issues with Alternating (namely, that in Alternating the Receiver gets all or almost all of the benefits). The problem is the way Lump decided to address this is very swingy; you don’t really get “middling” deployments - deployments where both sides made some minor but not game-losing mistakes - with Lump outside of 4, which is probably two inexperienced players. Deployments are either closely matched (1, requiring two players of roughly equal skill) or heavily favor one side over another (2 and 3).

Another problem with Lump is that it’s not especially fun all on its own, whereas Alternating was.

I think Formations needs some other change beside Lump. Maybe the ball starts in the center, no scatter, and models may not be deployed in the center circle but may be deployed touching it? Then have the Receiver draft and deploy first, so the tradeoff is R gets first activation while K starts with a MOM and gets a minor drafting and/or positioning advantage, maybe?

I don't like lump. In order for the kicker to receive any benefit the counter picks would have to be hard counters, but in GB there are very few of those if any, and the main models you're countering are the captain and their team archetype as is in the standard deployment, maybe this would change due to formations but I doubt it would that much. Lump goes nearly back to the first half of season 2 blind picking for the receiver which is just plain un-fun. 

Hey guys,

Thank you SO much for the feedback submitted so far. We've released another update today which you can find here:

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/pitch-formations-feedback-update-310717

We're going to lock this thread and start a new one up to keep up with all your feedback. Please remember to discuss theory and game play feedback in the appropriate thread. Thank you!