Steamforged

Update 110 on Kickstarter

Thanks for this update, even if I could hurt you with comment, I understand you are acting a lot in staffing the team to answer the demand.

30k+ backers is probably not easy to manage.

Keep going on, I'm happy with all the efforts done so far !

P.S.: what is this switching thing at the end of the mail ? Look related to Dark Souls somewhat ...

Teaser picture from the update. Castle appears to be Anor Londo. Could be a new expansion pack. 

"A separate internal development team within Steamforged HQ have been working on something very cool... we managed to get a little teaser out of them...."

dfb176276ffe2fae57e6730c9d106762_original.PNG?w=639&fit=max&v=1499351260&auto=format&lossless=true&s=e2e37728e1b02a8056da4ad3ef896a8c

Hum, the 2 first letter on the right might stand for ANor, so.

I wonder what is the double circling arrow icon and the blue hand ico.

A mechanic to change and diversify encounters maybe ?

1 hour ago, Sullvar said:

Teaser picture from the update. Castle appears to be Anor Londo. Could be a new expansion pack. 

"A separate internal development team within Steamforged HQ have been working on something very cool... we managed to get a little teaser out of them...."

dfb176276ffe2fae57e6730c9d106762_original.PNG?w=639&fit=max&v=1499351260&auto=format&lossless=true&s=e2e37728e1b02a8056da4ad3ef896a8c

I kind of hope it is an app so we don't have to have 10 decks of cards to keep track of for all the bosses and stuff.... but who knows! :D

It's nice to finally see a change of pace, and acknowledging their faults is nice of @Steamforged, I just don't feel like it's enough to rebuild the lost trust...

For 3 months, Steamforged showed nothing short of contempt for their customers. While the excuses are welcome, why should we believe them when they say they do care when they've spent months proving to us that they don't?

I look at it this way:

They messed up, owned up (yes, it took a while to get it all sorted), and are trying to move on and fix things. I see mistakes and accidental confusion not deliberate contempt, but that's my personal view (having met them before, I don't think they view their customers and gamers with anything resembling contempt).

They also won't expect everyone to just trust them again instantly (it's much easier lost than gained, after all), but they are showing that they're working at it - maybe they'll earn it back with people, but they will be painfully aware that it's going to take continued effort and time. No one event could possibly be enough. Lots of little steps, not one giant leap, as it were!

Granted, I'm one voice on a forum, but I have been hanging around basically since the start of the company. It's not all been kittens and rainbows, but they've always shown willingness to learn and improve. That's why I'm still around looking after this place :D

My opinion is based more on several years of being here, from the original guild ball Kickstarter. This KS is pretty recent and despite all the issues (which sucked, no argument there) it doesn't change my basic perspective on the guys and the company (which took a while to build up, after all I wasn't always an admin).

I've sat waiting for other Kickstarters for a lot longer, and some of my friends are still waiting for things several years after a project was due - in many ways, for a miniatures game KS, this one hasn't been too bad! :lol:

(Which probably says more about kickstarters for this industry in general than about this one...)

I'm not saying people have to trust them, it took a while for me to have the trust I do in the company (and starting with this KS isn't the best intro). Just that I'm pretty confident they'll work at it and not make these mistakes again ;)

@Steamforged I am happy how you addressed the issues you had. I was also one who was one of the louder negative voices, and so I think there's also room for improvement from my side. 

I am looking forward to seeing the new stuff and the new Steamforged games. :)

PS you should totally think about a Giant Dad PvP Expansion :D

My reaction to the update is mixed and not for the obvious reasons.

Insofar as owning up to Wave 1 being a bit of a cluster fuck, I'm very much of a mind that it's better late than never. SFG have realised they screwed up and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If anything the update gives me a lot more confidence for Wave 2. Had the silence continued I would be a lot more concerned than I am. The whole time I saw these issues as just being the result of a small company suddenly finding themselves with a run away success. Like Wiley Coyote chasing a boulder down a hill, you know he will invariably get squashed at some point. And I say all of this as someone who has only just got their copy. If the sentiment expressed in update 110 continues I don't expect we will have any of these problems again.

As for the rules themselves. They've made us a fairly decent game. Like the original Demon's Souls the boardgame is a flawed gem. The complaints of the grind, I feel, are a little exaggerated but rooted in truth. The loot deck system is too rooted in luck to generate a consistently enjoyable experience. That said, by using a tiered loot deck suddenly the problems of both grind and luck-reliance vanish instantly. Even if you use no other house rule. The core of the game is solid and I do not regret my all in pledge.

As for future expansions, I hope that when the add-on program is re-opened we can start putting the cash down for these currently unannounced packs. That said, announcing them too soon would make this new leaf appear cynically motivated.

So considering all these positives, why do I feel mixed about the update? I actually don't like the idea of daily updates. Mad, I know! I worry that the juicy content that could be included in those updates will end up being spread too thinly and as a result we will be left with nothing by the time we reach Wave 2. I would prefer, at most, two updates a week. Though I do appreciate that right now daily updates are a god send for those still waiting on their games. It's the mid-long term I'm concerned with. *Daily updated now are fine*, but once Wave 1 is over I hope SFG will establish a less intense schedule, announced ahead of time. As mentioned before, 2 updated a week would be perfect I feel. Give us something to look forward to!

As a final note, something I rather selfishly would like addressed in an update concerns the future of the game. We have Waves 1 and 2 already established, but what about afterwards? I would like to know roughly how long SFG plan to support the title. Whether we can expect a Wave 3+, or whether Wave 2 and the currently unannounced content are all we can expect? That's my biggest worry:

That we'll see the end of new content while there is still so much potential left unproduced.

Oh and when can we kickstart the Bloodborne version? ;)

This feels insulting:

"Support - Support is now back from a 3 week delay in response to 24-48 hours. We ramped the team up in scale and they have worked incredibly hard to get on-top. They are still working through missing parts and more complicated cases but rest assured everything here is being fixed."

My issue hasnt been dealt with since May 27th, when Ive messaged the support. No contact from support since June 12th and that was the only email Ive ever got from them, which said, that they are going to contact me soon. Glorious "truth" by SteamForged, again.

Granted, is not as bad as how SFG dealt with Germans, which shows nothing but contempt and statement of profound disregard to your customers, but its still not ok ffs.

Curious what the teaser is about, Anor Londo is plausible, but it is the strange icons that have me most interested... new mechanics of some sort?

Colour me tentatively intrigued regards the teaser. At first I thought it was either a new expansion, or a character board app both which I could see me enjoying. Now my only thought is that it could be some kind of card game, something I doubt I'll end up buying. Maybe a Dark Souls themed skirmish game? That could be interesting, certainly. Though I'm not sure how much interest either idea would actually get. Both have pretty well saturated markets already.

Edit: that these are both already well saturated markets means its less likely to be either of those ideas. Now I'm *really* curious!

I guess we'll see what news arrives on Monday! :3

Oh and I reckon it can't hurt to re-open Wave 2 orders. Other than a second Gargoyle there is nothing I don't already have. Psst, @Steamforgedthrow us a second Gargoyle into the base game expansion and you'll have yourself another Main Boss encounter with no additional sculpting work needed. *hint hint nudge nudge* :D

16 minutes ago, squirtis said:

The 2 HP numbers and the cocoon remind me of Chaos witch quelaag...

Its humanity, unless I'm mistaken by what you're referencing.

15 minutes ago, Illiani said:

Its humanity, unless I'm mistaken by what you're referencing.

oh yea, you're right. i was thinking of the chaos spider witch fight where there's the cocoon npc, at least i think it was that fight

edit - just relooked at that fight and there's no cocoon enemies so i'm clearly mistaken. i have terrible memory on these things. plus they said it's not for the board game...

45 minutes ago, squirtis said:

oh yea, you're right. i was thinking of the chaos spider witch fight where there's the cocoon npc, at least i think it was that fight

Actually you're pretty close.  You're thinking of Eingyi the pyromancer servant to the 'Fair Lady', Quelaag's (boss spider witch) sister (dying spider witch).

7 minutes ago, Illiani said:

Actually you're pretty close.  You're thinking of Eingyi the pyromancer servant to the 'Fair Lady', Quelaag's (boss spider witch) sister (dying spider witch).

Yea, i saw the two HP numbers and thought of the sisters