Steamforged

Update 110 on Kickstarter

Looks like maybe a reference to Royal Rat Authority.

In terms of the actual product, my hope would be for an app. Seems like an easy way to bring new content to players and expand the board game universe without needing to distribute new physical material. A Dark Souls card game feels a little premature. I'd be surprised if SFG were thinking about doing a card game before the board game really gets a chance to develop and expand. From my perspective, I think there are a good number of folks who would like to see additional/modified mechanics/content in the board game and it would be strange to me if attention were taken away from that to promote an entirely new product.

Could they be aspects of the stretch goals and expansions that will be shipping later this year?

EDIT: No, they said it wasn't for the board game. Hmm.

Edited by Back5

An app version of the board game, maybe? I mean, I highly doubt that is the case as I'd imagine it would impact board game sales. I'm really struggling to work out what it could be, given that its clearly Dark Souls but not for the board game. As mentioned by @Chud_Munson it looks to be something related to the Rat Authority, but the picture makes me think of the Undead Legion from Dark Souls 3.

4 hours ago, Illiani said:

An app version of the board game, maybe? I mean, I highly doubt that is the case as I'd imagine it would impact board game sales. I'm really struggling to work out what it could be, given that its clearly Dark Souls but not for the board game. As mentioned by @Chud_Munson it looks to be something related to the Rat Authority, but the picture makes me think of the Undead Legion from Dark Souls 3.

not an app version... but a companion app ...like the zombicide black plague one that keeps track of all your character info and has the decks within the app so you dont have to sort the real life decks every time you want to play.

2 hours ago, Gervill Froad said:

not an app version... but a companion app ...like the zombicide black plague one that keeps track of all your character info and has the decks within the app so you dont have to sort the real life decks every time you want to play.

That would be great. One of the things I dislike about some board games is how extensive and time consuming set up and break down is. 

It would certainly allow for an expansion of content without the need to physically produce said content. New items, encounters, etc. More interesting boss mechanics, perhaps.

Personally, I'm against the overuse of such an app as it draws away from the board game. I don't buy board games to spend my time staring at a mobile app. However, I can certainly see an app which handles character boards being a huge use. Most people have smart phones these days and going **optionally** digital for the character boards would save a lot of table space. Plus, if you could save boards then it'd help a lot with campaign tracking.

That said, if there are bosses or monsters that they have no interest in producing physically, I would definitely buy them digitally so that I could at least convert them into a physical version. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D printed versions of the neglected bosses turning up somewhere, given how popular Dark Souls is.

Heck, I'd be fully on board for a item deck, and/or encounter expansion of some form. After all, when the mega bosses come along we're going to want Very Hard difficulty encounter cards and if @Steamforgeddoes go the digital app route, then selling a deck of blank item & encounter cards would allow us to easily integrate missing items and further expand our games once official support has ended.

Edit: the other reason I wouldn't like to see a digital deck app, is that it would make implementing certain house rules a massive ballache (such as a tiered item deck, something I do hope we see officially adopted in the Core Game Expansion).

4 hours ago, Illiani said:

That said, if there are bosses or monsters that they have no interest in producing physically, I would definitely buy them digitally so that I could at least convert them into a physical version. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D printed versions of the neglected bosses turning up somewhere, given how popular Dark Souls is.

You're not wrong. I have made serveral friends in the industry who are professional sculptors, having worked With them, it would take nothing to get them to sculpt up any missing bosses of enemies that don't make it in (for the right price) and when Dark Souls: The Board game ends (hopefully not for some time) them I'll be taking ful advantage of those resources. 

30 minutes ago, Sir Orpheus said:

...and when Dark Souls: The Board game ends (hopefully not for some time) them I'll be taking ful advantage of those resources. 

Very glad to hear it! As an unashamed souls fanboy I would very willingly put my money where my mouth is for that sort of post-support content. And as an amature games designer, if SFG doesn't make something, I sure as hell will. :3

8 hours ago, Illiani said:

Very glad to hear it! As an unashamed souls fanboy I would very willingly put my money where my mouth is for that sort of post-support content. And as an amature games designer, if SFG doesn't make something, I sure as hell will. :3

I'm working on designing a Board game myself :P hence the avalible resources to have customs for Dark Souls made. If Steamforged doesn't add in models of the firekeeper or Andre, I'm gonna have to have them made myself lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/1934771

Update 113 is live and I think I have worked out what the teasers are for: a Dark Souls board game along similar lines to the Lord of the Rings board game. Where the players must travel linear paths across the board accomplishing tasks and beating challenges.

The Abyss Watchers symbol is a set encounter space while the other two are different routes the party can take to reach the encounter. Route A has them face a Easy (1 sword) and Medium (2 swords) encounter, which while having easier encounters than Route B's Difficult (3 swords) encounter, it also takes longer - perhaps the players are competing, or racing a clock?

This would explain teaser 1 featuring Anor Londo; teaser 2 showing both the Abyss Watchers (possibly Artorias) and referencing the Rat Authority; and today's teaser which is very clearly some kind of node tracker.

Could well be, or perhaps one that can be used on its own or in conjunction with the existing set for those who own both. A bit like what Wizards of the Coast did with their dungeon crawl series (<3) a while back and their miniatures skirmish game sets.

Hm, I don't really see the Ironclad running as fitting. Unless it's the 'fast shimmy with the hammer above his head ready to slam it down on some poor fools head' run. Feels a tad too agile.

And Alonne...could also be better, as someone in the comment section on kickstarter mentioned, he looks too square, not really dynamic. Just squatting.

It's another generic or rather typical pose for him, but I'd perosnally prefer seeing him with the sword raised above his head pointing at the enemy.

I'm in agreement with what seems to be the common consensus: the Ironclad is too dynamic while Alonne is too static. In neither case is it a deal breaker for me personally and if its already at tooling/post tooling then I expect nothing can be done about it anyways - so its a moot point. This does however highlight what might actually be a bit of a missed trick, on SFG's part. Namely that there could be a lot of value in reaching out to the community at an earlier stage to see what opinions exist towards one idea or another. Especially in cases where opinion is more unified among the player base.

That said, god knows the community can get its' knickers in a twist over the most insignificant things sometimes. Plus, what we think we want isn't always what we want. :P

I think the new resins look sweet as hell. I'm not too worried about people who whine that their pose isn't in line with their perception of the lore. Too many whiners. Even if they took everyone's opinion into consideration someone will still be unhappy.

2 hours ago, squirtis said:

I think the new resins look sweet as hell. I'm not too worried about people who whine that their pose isn't in line with their perception of the lore. Too many whiners. Even if they took everyone's opinion into consideration someone will still be unhappy.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of their models are a bit to static. Its not "whinning" it's critique. If something is not ok with us, it's best to point it out rather than letting them think it's ok.

Fantastic that you are such a easy person to please, but with the bosses being the key enjoyment in this game, some of us expect them to be more on point. 

26 minutes ago, Sir Orpheus said:

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of their models are a bit to static. Its not "whinning" it's critique. If something is not ok with us, it's best to point it out rather than letting them think it's ok.

Fantastic that you are such a easy person to please, but with the bosses being the key enjoyment in this game, some of us expect them to be more on point. 

thanks for dropping the facts! people are saying one is static and the other is showing too much movement... maybe i am easy to please in this scenario, but internet critiques and criticism is getting so old. i'm talking across all games... people need to settle down and let creators see out their vision. it's not the community's game, it's steamforge's. and yes, the community funded it, but they funded SF's game/vision. and if you're gaming enjoyment is going to be hindered by the way the model is posed then there are probably other issues going on. sorry if i come off combative, it's just so easy to sit behind a computer and complain.

37 minutes ago, squirtis said:

thanks for dropping the facts! people are saying one is static and the other is showing too much movement... maybe i am easy to please in this scenario, but internet critiques and criticism is getting so old. i'm talking across all games... people need to settle down and let creators see out their vision. it's not the community's game, it's steamforge's. and yes, the community funded it, but they funded SF's game/vision. and if you're gaming enjoyment is going to be hindered by the way the model is posed then there are probably other issues going on. sorry if i come off combative, it's just so easy to sit behind a computer and complain.

Not easy at all. In a industry filled with large and minior games surfacing, board games are breaking down into 2 major factors when deciding to buy or not. The first is gameplay, and while fun at first, this game does has a strong repetitive grind factor in it untill you become strong enough to fight a boss. That can turn away a group from playing it. 

The second is the models themselves. I don't care really about the poses of the minions, they are there to full the space between bonfire and boss. But the bosses themselves, I expect a bit more effort put into the actual design process. Sir Alonne literally has no movement. He's flat when compared to a model like the Gargoyle and or even the smelter demon. He looks like he is squating down to take a dump. There was almost no effort put into the sculpting of him. And given how popular of a boss he is withen the comunity, I would have expected a bit more dynamic. I don't grip often but I'll be damned if I'm not going to grip at all when something seriously bothers me. 

Once painted, he might look better, but he definitely is not on any list of epic bosses in this board game. 

9 minutes ago, Sir Orpheus said:

Not easy at all. In a industry filled with large and minior games surfacing, board games are breaking down into 2 major factors when deciding to buy or not. The first is gameplay, and while fun at first, this game does has a strong repetitive grind factor in it untill you become strong enough to fight a boss. That can turn away a group from playing it. 

The second is the models themselves. I don't care really about the poses of the minions, they are there to full the space between bonfire and boss. But the bosses themselves, I expect a bit more effort put into the actual design process. Sir Alonne literally has no movement. He's flat when compared to a model like the Gargoyle and or even the smelter demon. He looks like he is squating down to take a dump. There was almost no effort put into the sculpting of him. And given how popular of a boss he is withen the comunity, I would have expected a bit more dynamic. I don't grip often but I'll be damned if I'm not going to grip at all when something seriously bothers me. 

Once painted, he might look better, but he definitely is not on any list of epic bosses in this board game. 

liked for the dump comment, hahah. yea i've only played one round to the gargoyle, but i could see the repetitiveness become an issue for this game. I'm hoping some of the expansions can spice things up on repeat rooms, or they tailor the curve a bit so repeating rooms isn't always absolutely necessary to properly gear for boss fights, but then they may lose the dying theme, which is core to the video game. i jumped on this game as my first board game ever only because i'm a huge souls fan. So the models was a big selling point for me as i'm having a ton of fun painting them and just having those alone is pretty fun.

and i'm all fine with critiques or criticisms, it's when the community feels as though they have a right to tell them to change something that bothers me. People should voice their opinions all day and businesses should listen, but the company should be able to do what they want to do without harassment about it.

20 minutes ago, squirtis said:

liked for the dump comment, hahah. yea i've only played one round to the gargoyle, but i could see the repetitiveness become an issue for this game. I'm hoping some of the expansions can spice things up on repeat rooms, or they tailor the curve a bit so repeating rooms isn't always absolutely necessary to properly gear for boss fights, but then they may lose the dying theme, which is core to the video game. i jumped on this game as my first board game ever only because i'm a huge souls fan. So the models was a big selling point for me as i'm having a ton of fun painting them and just having those alone is pretty fun.

and i'm all fine with critiques or criticisms, it's when the community feels as though they have a right to tell them to change something that bothers me. People should voice their opinions all day and businesses should listen, but the company should be able to do what they want to do without harassment about it.

I agree, harassment is to far. I'm unhappy with Sir Alonne and it is dissapinting being he was one of my top 5 most anticipated models, and then he lacks the umph. 

I try to play a little games as I can as to not burn out the game before the expansions as they will no doubt add more to the game. I'm generally not to picky, but somethings do strike a nerve. Its not even his top half. It's the placement of the feet. For any model it just looks really weird. But I also thought the Gargoyle looked weird from the photos and turned out to be happly wrong. 

We'll see when it comes out. 

(don't know what all the gripe is about the iron clad solder, looks alright to me)

4 hours ago, Sir Orpheus said:

I agree, harassment is to far. I'm unhappy with Sir Alonne and it is dissapinting being he was one of my top 5 most anticipated models, and then he lacks the umph. 

I try to play a little games as I can as to not burn out the game before the expansions as they will no doubt add more to the game. I'm generally not to picky, but somethings do strike a nerve. Its not even his top half. It's the placement of the feet. For any model it just looks really weird. But I also thought the Gargoyle looked weird from the photos and turned out to be happly wrong. 

We'll see when it comes out. 

(don't know what all the gripe is about the iron clad solder, looks alright to me)

I don't read through the kickstarter comments a lot, but for me it's mostly the pose as I mentioned.

Of course, it's the most fun for the designers if they have some freedom when it comes to designing the models look and poses, but I think they should make sure the models stay faithful to the original.

The ironclad doesn't look bad, but since the figure is static, having this slow, hulking enemy be rerpesented by a model during a fast sprint just doesn't seem fitting.

And Alonne would look a lot better if they just moved his torso back a tad to have him rest on his right leg more, as if he were expecting an attack.

alonne.png.275cb4eea26520d1e2017caa7fcddb12.png

lol, excuse the shitty paint job, but that's basically what I'm talking about.

I used to read the Kickstarter comments a lot, as they were the only place to really get any information regards the state of shipping for far longer than should have been the case. These days, though, I prefer hanging out here. The Kickstarter comments section is often a bit to vitriolic for my tastes. I much more prefer the reasoned discussion we have around these parts. I'm actually rather proud of how pleasant the SFG community is and it makes me more interested in trying other SFG products. A good community acts as a company's ambassadors and this community (occasional missteps aside) certainly fulfils that role.

As for the pose comments, I don't have anything substantial to add, outside my comment on the Artorias thread.

Kirk and Maldron look nice. The mega bosses look nice. Having the armor set models do the games various gestures is a neat idea.

But then you have Eygon and Siegward just....standing there. Same with the mushrooms.

The models do look fine, but I just wish SFG would try being a tad more consistent with their posing. 

Have the little mushroom look like he's just taking a stroll (moments before being brutally murdered), the big mushroom could be either rearing back or already mid-punch, or at least also moving, the head perhaps slightly tilted as if he were looking out for potential troublemakers.

Just...something. It feels kinda lazy having models come out looking like they're in default mode.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/1957863?ref=backer_project_update

Think Sif looks awesome and I'm kind of pleased that the metal aggro token is going to be a Kickstarter /event show exclusive 

fe2d8f2257adae6420de9895cac742d1_origina

Apparently a big update on mega bosses tomorrow before the backerkit reopens. The gaping dragon looks mighty tempting...