billbox88

Sakana...why use him?

In my recent games I´ve been thinking about Sakana. Seems I get him to do absolutely nothing the whole game aside for some random damage and counter attacks.

Do you use him? Why, what makes you take him? :)

Sakana is the best non captain striker in Fish. He does literally everything. Too risky to fire Shark off for a turn 1 goal? Sakana will do it. Corsair needs to scrum with masons? Sakana will fix that armor.  Someone on the wing is setting up for a goal? Ending Sakanas activation in b2b with them will do wonders to shut that down. He's a safe crowd out and a counter strike threat after an opponent goal. Counter attacking off a def stance charge for 1 mp is great. Tac 5 on 2" reach with that speed and playbook is just really strong. I think Sakana is the best non-captain striker after Vitriol.  It took me awhile to get used to him, but now i wont leave him at home. He's a full toolbox for what youre looking to do in Fish. 

I understand that on paper, but he never seems to do anything on the table. Could be just my playing skills.... :D

He even doesnt have a KD. :o

Yeah, every time I field him I keep wishing he were another player. Greyscales does the striking more reliably, and Corsair doesn't need help in the scrum when you have Jac/Kraken/Avarisse and VSiren there. I'm considering keeping him off my normal Corsair list, switching for Hag, and only bringing Sakana in against high-armor teams like Masons, or against Engineers since I run OSiren into them and Sakana can sorta make up for losing Dread Gaze.

I felt the same way about him for a while, but I ended up coming around in the end. Besides my captain, I feel I get the most work out of Greyscales, who in my opinion, is much better than Sakana. BUT, Sakana is 2'', which is always awesome to have. He can move across the pitch very quickly and get into a good position/tackle the ball. One free counter and a tackle on the second result means your opponent can have some trouble getting the ball off of him, and a 3/8 kick is just the bees knees!

He isn't a fighter really, and he wont do a lot of damage, but anatomical precision and weak point definitely have some situational utility. And don't underestimate a good smoke bomb to cover your guys in the scrum, unless they are using Vitriol...

Really, the first two results in his playbook are good for getting him the ball and out of trouble. Once I stopped trying to make him fighter, he really started to work well for me. In a shark lineup I like him and Greyscales flanking on either side of the pitch with shark moving around wherever shark needs to go. I think it really puts a lot of ball pressure on your opponent. 

I really dig him with Shark. I feel like he lets me have a 2nd long range goal threat and I can focus on the rest of the team running interference/getting the ball to a wing for shark or Sakana.

Better options for a Corsair list most of the time but still a great option for a 2nd striker.

32 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Better options for a Corsair list most of the time but still a great option for a 2nd striker.

Would you care to elaborate? Your corsair list maybe?

For me sakana has been great with corsair. Applying easy extra dice for the beaters and occasional weak point. He's just coasting the edge of the scrum and waiting for the opportunity to whip out a goal using his great speed and kick stat. 

I really like him into Masons, pretty fond of him into Brewers, and if the first two are anything to go by he may end up absolutely vital into Blacksmiths. Without charging Greyscales has a 40% to take the ball from Anvil's 2def/3arm while Sakana has an 80%.

Play him on the opposite side of the field as Siren or Greyscales (unless you're using all 3, in which case have them spread well) in order to threaten a tackle then goal in one activation. First turn I tend to give him 0 INF unless I am planning on having him score the goal.

If he's scoring: pass and use a teamwork dodge to put him in cover, from there he should be able to do whatever he wants to get the goal.
If he's just getting in position: jog into cover, so that he can score and tackle most any ball within 12" next turn.

Weak point, damage, and Smoke bomb are pretty corner case so he should be focused mainly on the < and T results while being a moderately survivable striker.

18 hours ago, supertzar said:

Would you care to elaborate? Your corsair list maybe?

For me sakana has been great with corsair. Applying easy extra dice for the beaters and occasional weak point. He's just coasting the edge of the scrum and waiting for the opportunity to whip out a goal using his great speed and kick stat. 

Absolutely.

So when I run Corsair it is generally because I  going to go for a 2-2 or a 1-4 victory. That in mind with the exceptions of Masons, and usually Brewers, I just feel like I get more mileage out of a tram with Siren (take your pick they both kick ass) Jac, Greyscales, A&G, and Salt (Greyscales might get the boot for Kraken if I'm really willing to commit to kills.)I rarely take tentacles as I just prefer that otter as a goal threat and retrieval in season 3.

I feel like while Sakana does bring weak point, I rarely need it with the Corsair scrum that develops. Couple that with Jac's Heroic and you're controlling the shape of the scrum too. The extra die is nice but Greyscales is usually a little better pick in my opinion for the Corsair team because of how easy Ball's Gone! is to hit on a charge. Ball's Gone + Corair's Legendary can be a free goal of you've controlled the board state well (and you have Jac and possibly Siren1 so you should be.) 

I'm not saying he isn't a great option because Sakana kicks ass. I just personally feel like I get more of the tools I want with Greyscales over Sakana and it feels like they are vting for the same position in most games. I feel like the tipping point for me would be if they'd put a momentous 2 on 4 hits.

When I run Shark though I love Sakana. Others have mentioned him as your turn 1 goal threat and he is great for that. I also dig him for turn 2 after my opponent has picked up the ball. As fast as he is there is a fair chance he'll have the goal in range or shark from turn 1 if you camped him in snapshot range. That is usually my play with him. Then you have your pick for 3 goals or getting those 2 take outs with a relatively fresh team.

Sakana is really good.  I like sticking him up the middle as he is more survivable than oSiren or Angel.  With Hag in the line up and the extra movement with the smoke bomb, he can provide constant pressure to your opponent.  In general Shark and Grayscales are my top scorers, but I think I get more goals from Sakana then I do with Angel.    I like Sakana in both my Shark & Corsair lists.

5 hours ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

So when I run Corsair it is generally because I  going to go for a 2-2 or a 1-4 victory. That in mind with the exceptions of Masons, and usually Brewers, I just feel like I get more mileage out of a tram with Siren (take your pick they both kick ass) Jac, Greyscales, A&G, and Salt (Greyscales might get the boot for Kraken if I'm really willing to commit to kills.)I rarely take tentacles as I just prefer that otter as a goal threat and retrieval in season 3.

Thank you for this. I can see that we are kind of aiming for the same thing from different angles. My usual Corsair list has been Salt, vSiren, Hag, Greyscales and Sakana. No AG because I don't yet own them nor am I going to in any near future, and because the concept doesn't really intrigue me (I know... My choice). But Avarisse brings singled out which is basically the same effect that I achieve with the extra crowd outs and weak point when necessary.

Two good goal threats are harder to contain, especially if I'm receiving and am able to pull out a first turn Salt goal. I generally try to aim for a 2-2 and with all the dice from the scrum Corsair and vSiren can usually achieve that quite easily by themselves. That leaves most of my efforts to try to shove Greyscales and Sakana up my opponents throat and the goal pressure is really huge for the psychological effect alone.

I do see the point though. When drafting, Sakana is usually the first one to get benched for Jac if I think one more tough hide in the middle will annoy my opponent more.