Sign in to follow this  
prkl

Character attack with a shift move icon

Under 'character attacks' on pg 22 it says 'to make an attack, the character targets an enemy within range of one of their weapons'.

But there are weapon attacks with which you can first move and then roll dice. Some weapons (broadsword if I remember correctly) have range 0, which would mean you either:

1)activate it out of range, move into range and make the attack, or

2)activate it within range, move out of range and fail the attack(?) 

How is this supposed to work? I've played it like the first one but the rules don't allow you to make an attack when you're out of range.

Also I just realised 'support' items, like the talisman, are not attacks per se, and seem to lack rules on how to use. (Altough they are quite clear. Maybe I just missed them..)

Make sure you pay attention to where the Shift icon appears in the "text" of the ability. If it appears before the dice then you move before the attack and can consider the Shift as part of your range calculation.

If the Shift icon appears after the dice, then you may shift after attacking, but you must already be in range before rolling the dice.

Also, the Shift is always optional. You don't have to move if it would move you out of range.

Is the Shift always optional or is it conditional i.e. is it optional if it moves you out of range? Is this a confirmed rule?

Also, does this mean I can't technically make an attack when I'm out of range? I'm asking because if it IS possible, I could use an attack with the shift icon just to make an additional move...

The Shift is optional.

You can't make an attack if you're out of range, (Attacks always require a valid target) however if the Shift occurs before the die roll on the card, you could use the Shift to get into range.