Mako

Scholar's Guild Summer Challenge

It's summer, it's hot (except in England where we've had our three warm days already), and it's time for a new contest!

Given the weather, it seemed like a good time of year to go for a writing challenge - why not dust off the keyboards and flex those literary aspirations while your paint is drying out too fast...

The Rules

The challenge will close at 23:59 on the 31st of July, at which point all entries should be posted up in their own threads in a folder that will appear for that very purpose in mid-July. Judging will happen over the next week or so, being wrapped up before Gencon on the 17th August

One entry per person, so pick your best if you write more than that.

You can post up works in progress and get community feedback if you want to, they don't have to be kept secret.

Stories should be no more than 1000 words long, excessive length may well count against you.

The theme of the story should be 'the rookie' - maybe it's their first game in the minor leagues, or the week after they're accepted to the training program, whatever you come up with and whichever guild you like (although... family friendly forum, so careful with the Seamstresses guild ;)).

Entries will be judged by none other than the Magister of the Scholar's Guild, @Sherwin!

The Rewards

Naturally, there's bragging rights. There's also a nice bit of prize support from SFG:

First Place will get a Farmers starter set box

Second Place will get a set of Farmer's Guild dice

Third Place will get a Farmer's Guild patch

So who can I tempt to give it a shot?

#saveAmber

6 hours ago, WhiteYin said:

Edit: is there a known list of known guilds or is there a guild for every trade as such?

59 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

Are staff allowed to enter, or...? 

You can indeed! I'm toying with an idea for a story myself (not that I set up these contests to suit my whims, honest :P ).

Though in the interests of fairness, staff (and admins) probably shouldn't get the prizes... 

Tell you what, if a staff member wins, I'll make them one of my custom dice balls so the prizes can go to the masses. How's that sound?

Sounds good! 

Yeah, I'll see if I have time over the next month or so to type up a wee story. Definitely shouldn't get any of the prizes though, (especially seeing as I've been using Farmer dice for like a month now. :P) so I'm intrigued by the custom dice balls. What would they even look like!?

Not this time, it's just for those that don't qualify for the farmers. 

Maybe in a future contest though ;)

Also, I'm seriously impressed - three stories up already! I'm going to have a read tomorrow (even if my opinion doesn't matter as it's the actual writer who's judging. Which I still think is pretty awesome) :) 

Should these stories be their own thread, and not replied to in this forum?

Never mind! I see others post it as separate thread. Thanks!

Final Question, can you use a guild not mentioned in the fluff?

Just an idea came into my head for Carpenters really quickly but obviously not mentioned as yet in the fluff (as per the list).

Sure I can scrape something out the noggin' if not :D

I don't have a problem with guilds that aren't in the fluff, the key question is "do they fit the world that's been set out?"

Given that the judge wrote said world, that's a pretty big consideration :D

Six entries already, and we've barely begun!

I'm going to try to go through them all this week and comment, then I might actually start writing mine :P

10 hours ago, WhiteYin said:

..an idea came into my head for Carpenters really quickly..

Sure, go for it. I don't see why we wouldn't have a Carpenter's Guild of some description or another.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:56 AM, Mako said:

Stories should be no more than 1000 words long, excessive length may well count against you.

These last 52 words are proving difficult to cull. I think they have DEF 6+ and too many dodges... >:(

The limit is pretty tough, to tell a story properly in 1000 words you really do have to tighten things down!

You could always post it as a draft and see if any parts can be shortened or cut - sometimes whole paragraphs that initially seem great don't actually achieve much (though maybe that's just my first drafts :D )

Or take the risk of it being a little long if you think the benefits outweigh the risks ;)