• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

14 minutes ago, TanE said:

Yeah, Memory is amazing and disturbing. Very nice!

I borrowed a bunch of ideas from you for it, so you should get at least some of the credit :D

Quick distraction, I've prepped Graves and Casket but needed to free up a pin vice to be able to prime them both at the same time. So... I needed to finish a little bust that was sitting in one of them:

HYFdlwS.jpg

Didn't exactly go to plan, but the back was meant to look like an older, cruder tattoo that's faded more than the newer ones on his front. 

Redid that little bust to get the back tattoos looking better, but can’t be fussed to find the link at the moment :P

Instead I’ve been looking at model nationalities, and spotting some bizarre things. I’ve been painting with a roughly similar palette for each nation, so Valentian models don’t use a specific shade colour and use more of a pale highlight tone, Piert uses brown leather as a glaze, and so I need a new concoction. 

I have a few models primed, so I went looking to see if Calculus (who is ready for paint) would use a recipe I’d already picked out. She’s Ethraynnian, so no.

But then I spotted that there are two Piert Morticians - Bonesaw and Casket. Those two really don’t look like they’d share a skin tone, even vaguely, so I’ll have to ponder how to make that one work...

What a conundrum. I can see both Bonesaw and casket as being very pale skinned though especially looking at some of the art work. Almost a pallid tone that had undergone some level of rigormortis.

Because I'm determined that the world can be made to look sensible with enough spreadsheets and macros, I had a proper look at the spread of nationalities today:

cNCEv11.jpg

There's a lot of randomly interesting stuff that turns up, like Blackheart being the only Sultarish model that isn't darker skinned. Also, Valentia does a good line in angry women - Fillet, Cosset, and Chisel are all from there :D

Piervo seems to be a fairly diverse culture, but of course quite... churchy.

And then there's the lack of a functional team if you're Indar, Mald, Numasai, Sultarish, Valentian or from parts unknown (An unknown mascot and captain would set up some really bizarre looking teams I think!)

Technically I think this counts as procrastination - I primed Casket to paint him, then decided I wanted a break from morticians and started calculus instead :P

QXSpwAg.jpg

Edit: although like a genius, I wasn’t paying attention and went down the addict route with her face. Need to correct that...

Cheers! It needed that little freehand touch to balance the scheme, I think.

Debating changing the metal in the riveted area of the staff thing to be white leather, just for the variation on that piece (and because the metals are a bit crap there :D ). But I might wander off and do some of Angel instead...

Haha love the spreadsheet. I made one a while back (prior to Farmers and Blacksmiths) Made a separate tab for each nation (slow work day I guess). Yours is much more user friendly.

Also WTF did you acyually finish Calculus in a matter of days? This rate of completion is beginning to concern me. Who are you and what have you done with @Mako 

Even I have days where things just somehow go right, and I make progress :P

Course, I have to sort out bases for my alchemists now to actually finish her off. And make one little tweak to her weapon, so she’s not really finished finished...

But she was actually a really nice model to paint up. Fun all the way.

My latest distraction involved photoshop, my 3d printer, a circle cutter, some spray glue, mounting card and various drill bits...

Qi6H4sG.jpg

They're still only the test batch, but they're getting better with every one I make :D

6 minutes ago, masterkdog said:

Could be a subtle way to add a few extra "custom" health points to some of your players HP totals

Scalpel always had her icy sponge marker at 25 Health didn’t she? :P

Though it had two bonuses. One, I get a set of them for playing convenience, and two, I now know exactly what to do to make them for a different project ;)

On 09/02/2018 at 5:22 AM, masterkdog said:

You might be selling her a little short at 25... Interested to see what the different project is

That’s a secret for the moment; it’s nothing to do with guild ball though :D

Also, Casket is driving me insane... all that wood and leather, it’s just tedious! He’s slowly progressing, but he’s doing really well at helping me get on with important stuff and not paint :P 

Thanks guys :D

Technically five to go, as Skulk is ready for priming (which is more than Obulus, Vileswarm and vGraves). All the minor guilds will share most of their colours and basing with the major, but with one major change. So in this case, the blue will be switched out for brown and the bases will be less tidy (scattered gravel, patchier grass and the likes). But they’ll all have to wait until next weekend, this week is a busy one!