Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

On 28/11/2017 at 12:15 AM, carver72 said:

Thank you so much , now I've just got to get the blacksmiths !

You make it sound so easy , now you have broken it down into steps 

When you get down to it, most fancy painting is just a lot of simple things on top of each other - you just have to know the tricks (and do far too much practice) :D

I recommend the blacksmiths, they're an interesting lot to paint. Though... I am a little worried that my Farris, with all that metal on her horse, will be eye wateringly colourful!

On 28/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, Mako said:

I really wasn’t paying enough attention when I put her in the sheet. I should move her next time I’ve got it open..

I think you should make this sheet your desktop background. That way every time you turn on your PC it is there shaming you, reminding you what you should be doing instead of.....

6 hours ago, Mako said:

I am a little worried that my Farris, with all that metal on her horse, will be eye wateringly colourful!

Anyone else read that as @Mako now has to commit to a my little pony horse paint scheme?

On 11/20/2017 at 10:26 AM, Mako said:

Which finishes a basic 6 model team for the morticians (it's only taken me three seasons...)

n2G2LQ1.jpg

..........There is nothing basic about this team. If this is basic then you better have a bear eat me or a forest hermit break my legs because I'm retiring.

I've made progress, honest - Brainpan is mostly done, but I've been distracted by the usual tedious real life stuff so haven't finished him up. Still, Christmas will be quiet for me so I'll get him sorted out then at least!

23 hours ago, supertzar said:

That Memory is the stuff of nightmares.

He's going to get a bit more dark wet red around the edges of the eyes, just to add to the effect :)

And I've pinched an idea from @TanEfor memory, but tweaked it to suit my own preferred brand of crazy wiring... hence the six florist's wires drilled into him and the knots I sculpted to make them fit ;)

I really need to push on with Memory, but I got distracted when I realised I hadn't done any bases for the rest of the Morticians. And when I realised I'd got a vague plan in my head to do his coat orange, but because of all the wood that would leave the entire model the same pale-ish tonal range, so I had to change my plan a little. Probably going to be a leather coat now, and a tiny orange waistcoat...

I finally got round to finishing Brainpan and memory, after a lot of distractions (some important ones, but still...)

piX54wR.jpg

And because this also slowed the process up, here's the other bases I did. That leaves me with all my morticians bases completed except for vileswarm and skulk, who doesn't fully count :)

VwHh6ab.jpg

Thanks guys, they were a lot of fun to paint! I figured it was more interesting to have memory with human eyes, since the whole of brainpan's sculpt is beautifully crafted to draw focus off his face. They might be some of my favourite models from the whole range, I think.

The wiring wasn't as much fun though, because getting all six wires into a sort of cobra's hood to suspend him over his base was a total pain :P 

Trying to decide between several plans at the moment, so not sure what's up next. Could be a mix of things. There's Casket, part of my continued slow push towards getting all the Morticians painted up. Then there's the Angel bust, who's primed and ready for me to really push my painting. Or there's the plans I have for the Engineer mechanica, and colours for the Alchemists. Oh, and the blacksmiths, who currently have one painted model.

So I need to make a decision eventually. Angel for sure, it'll be nice to get back to bust painting. But what else will go on around that...

I'd really like to see your Morticians finished and especially what you do with Casket. Brainpan and Memory are definitely on the better end of the line. The human eyes on it are the stuff of nightmares. Damn. 

7 hours ago, masterkdog said:

...you also have the art of photography down to a fine art as well...

I used to write painting tutorials, so I had to get to grips with it :D

All my photos are done in a careful setup involving an SLR, tripod and light box (ok, a really cheaply cobbled together one, but it does the trick), then run through photoshop to normalise the white balance (I keep a piece of white paper in the pictures to give it a reference point) and adjust the exposure. Also to crop them, combine them, and resize it all.

Bit of a faff, but it means I can get pretty accurate photos :)

The hilarious thing is, my plan was to have her looking at Salt so I've had to strip back the eyes and repaint in the primer fade...