Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

Thanks guys :)

I’ll be doing a quick step by step soon on my Blacksmiths metals, probably using the ball (because let’s face it, if I use a full model we’ll be here all winter!).

Then its a toss up between finishing brainpan and memory (who are primed), starting work on the angel bust, or messing about with the mechanica...

On 8/23/2017 at 4:12 AM, Mako said:

Clippers to cut off the recesses under the bases, a quick poke round the exposed foot pin with a knife to weaken any glue down the sides of it, then a bit of careful prying loose and he popped right off

A bit late to the party, but thank you, this is very handy as I'm re-basing my Masons from the starter set. So far I've cut a couple off above the base, but this feels much better. Thanks!

1 hour ago, NavySealy said:

A bit late to the party, but thank you, this is very handy as I'm re-basing my Masons from the starter set. So far I've cut a couple off above the base, but this feels much better. Thanks!

Glad I could help :)

On 20/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, Mako said:

Then its a toss up between finishing brainpan and memory (who are primed), starting work on the angel bust, or messing about with the mechanica...

The Angel/Salt bust looked nice. Any tips or guides you'd recommend for painting on this larger scale?

1 hour ago, ADG said:

The Angel/Salt bust looked nice. Any tips or guides you'd recommend for painting on this larger scale?

Get a big brush :D

(does actually help, honest).

You can get a lot more done on a bust, because of the larger scale. But that does mean building up more complex colours is kind of important, so it needs even more layers of even thinner paint. And a lot of focus on the face, glazing colours in around the eyes, on the cheeks and forehead etc. The bigger brush helps reduce the number of strokes and give you a smoother finish

The eyes are also more important - you can paint them with more detail, gloss them, even a dot of white for reflected sun. It’s all about making the face look alive, as there’s nothing else to draw the eye from it. 

Which probably doesn’t help, but I’m kind of new to busts myself - this will be the third I’ve painted, and one of the other two was a cat person so I did fur all over the face instead of skin :P 

Thanks ... it could be an interesting challenge to try. The bigger brush for smoother finish makes sense and is a useful tip, as well as varnish to put a shine on the eyes. Well, I did pick one of these up (the idea to feature Salt as well was great) but I think it's going to take some time!

It’ll definitely take a while! Go slowly and build it all up, look up a few videos of bust painting, and think carefully about your light and shadow placement - it’s harder to do a quick wash and get away with it on something this size :)

@ADG one thing I should've mentioned - really take your time cleaning, prepping and assembling. A mould line, a bubble, even a strangely flat area from scraping away flash can really mess up the look of a bust. Check her hair for anything that isn't smooth and sweeping, check the scales for any tiny bubbles or nodules in the recesses, that sort of thing. Brokentoad casts are really good, but it's always worth a careful eye - even the best cast will have little bits of finessing to do, and you can't get away with it like you would on a 30mm model :D

@Mako, thanks for all the advice. I think, if nothing else, attempting this will teach me some good habits on prepping, thinning paints and layers that I ought to be better about. If it goes well, I'll stick a picture up (many months from now perhaps!) Looking forwards to seeing yours (& great phoenix by the way!)

I’ve been prepping her today, the fit between parts is pretty good but I’ll still be filling the small gaps just to close the seams. Few more days and I might get her primed, and then it’s... well, time to figure out what colours to paint her!

But first, I have a ball to paint (and probably brainpan/memory too, while I prep angel up fully) :D 

Next in my occasional series of #SecretPaintingAdmissions... How bad is my grey mountain:

PFIpk08.jpg

The green is stuff I've finished, the blue is stuff I own but haven't started yet. I am so far behind it's hilarious and terrifying :D

1 hour ago, Mako said:

Next in my occasional series of #SecretPaintingAdmissions... How bad is my grey mountain:

PFIpk08.jpg

The green is stuff I've finished, the blue is stuff I own but haven't started yet. I am so far behind it's hilarious and terrifying :D

:blink:

I at least did a little painting today. Step by step stuff is slow, because I can't just work back and forth but have to get one layer down then go take a photo, but here's a guide that @carver72 requested for my blacksmith metals. I've used Scalecolor paint, but I won't list specifics as anything similar will do:

Go4DDsU.jpg

First up is a nice smooth basecoat of a dark silver, if in doubt add more black to it. Then gently layer on a mid silver, focussing on where the light would hit. Mostly this means a thin line on each edge, and a broader stripe across the bottom of each dent. Follow that up with a narrower edging in a bright silver, again concentrating on the lower edges of the dents. The paints should be thin enough to need two or three coats to build them up properly, which gives a smoother result.

With that done, it's colour time. Change your water - this is important, you don’t want metal flakes in your inks...

This part of the process involves ignoring the realities of heat treating and blacksmithing, in favour of breaking up the colours to give more visual definition. I divided the colours on the straps mostly vertically, with a more diagonal pattern on the main body (and a different diagonal on the grate). Both sides of the ball got the same colour placement. Green first in two thin coats, usually at the top centre (or closest to the hand on gauntlets). Then blue ink, again two thin coats, at the edges of the green. Same again with purple, and finishing up with chestnut ink (any brown is fine). On a round surface with patterns down both sides, its important to space the colours so your brown band sits between the purples without being too broad or narrow.

This is all about building up the colour, blending the ink colours across surfaces, and using that to define the shapes. The thin band round the ball got no green ink, which provided a long blue/purple/brown stripe down through the sideways bands of green/blue to break the parts up. The rivets were just done with blue and purple, as they're too small for anything more.

The final touch on the metals is to go back over it with the bright silver, just in the bottom of each dent and on the edges of surfaces. All this does is mute the colour a bit and enhance the shiny look.

The grate got a quick stippling of black around each slot first. To brighten the colour inside, but not make it cartoon bright, I used a mid cream-grey to fill the slots. Then I painted over that with dark red,  first getting the main colour down and then making sure to run thinned paint as a glaze round the edges of the slots (for a faint glow effect). I worked that up through bright red, orange and a little hint of yellow at the end - not much, as I wanted a fairly sullen glow rather than an intense blazing furnace. 

And that's the ball done :)

Feel free to ask if any of it doesn't make sense, but like most things it looks more complicated than it is :D

On 24.11.2017 at 11:57 AM, Mako said:

PFIpk08.jpg

Could be a chart from me! :-D

But I own much less miniatures, because I hate a large workload in my hobby... ;-)

The ball for the Blacksmiths is great! I want more! 

54 minutes ago, masterkdog said:

Hey just noticed you have vMinx listed under fish. That is totally unnacceptable and I demand you correct it at once you heathen!

Muahaha! The secret is out! :P

I really wasn’t paying enough attention when I put her in the sheet. I should move her next time I’ve got it open...

I’m not sure how I’ve ended up with so much stuff. Well, the Kickstarter was where a lot of it went wrong. Since then I’ve not bought that much really!

Glad people liked it, it’s been a while since I did any tutorial stuff. May do more in future, if there’s anything I do that people want to see :)