Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

Looking good as always. Perhaps you can introduce another key concept to the Blacksmiths. They all like different coloured raindows. Better yet I see a tie dye T-Shirt in the works. I am sure you could pull it off...

7 minutes ago, Mako said:

Man, the metals are bad enough to do, tie dye would kill me :D

Have at least finished Sledge, just before @Kueller starts and finishes the whole box :P

Kt0h3wy.jpg

So friggin Awesome, beautiful!

Been doing Sledge today lol

21 hours ago, Mako said:

@Doc from the look of it, I have more chainmail and chains to do on Cinder and anvil... aargh. But I'm in too deep to back down now!

@Zirenius thanks! It's taken a long time and probably far too much practice to get to this point :D  

Hopefully get time for the last touches on Sledge in the next day or so, I'd like to get him ready for basing at least!

I can imagine... just to be curios, can you recommend any printed or online resources about properly blending colours in miniature painting?

@Zirenius If I'm honest, most of what I've learned was done the hard way - I've had lots of great advice from some top class painters I know, but in the end it comes down to getting brush on model! Often times it's involved trying things, and asking for advice on how to get it to work the way you wanted it to afterwards. That's not hugely helpful though, I know...

The basic rules are to thin your paints more, use a bigger brush with a better point, and do more but thinner layers. That applies to basically every painter, no matter what their level, so it's pretty safe advice :)

That, and paint a lot then put it up somewhere you can get feedback (I'm terrible for not reading all the painting threads on here, but there's quite a few good painters about to offer advice, or you can always tag me to poke me for feedback!)

There are some good youtube videos on improving painting I believe, might be worth a wander around there. Mostly, read and watch anything that looks interesting but remember that no one person knows the 'right' way - take what works for you from each person, and forget the rest ;)

@Mako Sledge looks amazing!! Really like that effect. I've got to get through Hunters and Brewers but I think Blacksmiths might have to be next on my painting table. Of course I paint nearly as fast as you do so maybe we can face off against each other with fully painted Blacksmiths in... say... 2030? :D 

23 hours ago, Mako said:

@Zirenius If I'm honest, most of what I've learned was done the hard way - I've had lots of great advice from some top class painters I know, but in the end it comes down to getting brush on model! Often times it's involved trying things, and asking for advice on how to get it to work the way you wanted it to afterwards. That's not hugely helpful though, I know...

The basic rules are to thin your paints more, use a bigger brush with a better point, and do more but thinner layers. That applies to basically every painter, no matter what their level, so it's pretty safe advice :)

That, and paint a lot then put it up somewhere you can get feedback (I'm terrible for not reading all the painting threads on here, but there's quite a few good painters about to offer advice, or you can always tag me to poke me for feedback!)

There are some good youtube videos on improving painting I believe, might be worth a wander around there. Mostly, read and watch anything that looks interesting but remember that no one person knows the 'right' way - take what works for you from each person, and forget the rest ;)

Thank you so much. It's a good thing that the learning process here is actually a big part of the fun. Also, your advice looks sound regarding any creative pursuit. It does sound similar to a lot of stuff that I was taught in music. Anyhow, I need to find some of these good youtube videos now. 😁

@Zirenius ... although not exclusively a painting one... I subscribe to Tabletop Minions channel on YouTube... as well as Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic channel. I have found both to be helpful.... from a beginners standpoint at the very least.