Mako

Mako's Expert Procrastination Thread

Sewing, painting, sculpting and baking ... it's a whole craft fair of skills! Now I'm wondering if anyone out there has knitted a Guild Ball jumper!

Thanks guys :D

I have to admit I can't knit, so it's not going to be me - someone should take up the challenge though!

I started working on the bases today, in the hope of somehow hitting my target of having a morticians 6 for gencon in just over two weeks... cutting it a bit fine really given my usual speed ;)

Two weeks and a lot of stuff to do before gencon, and I spent an entire day painting ghast's skin... don't have any good photos yet, but I gave him a lot of old scars ;)

Finally got some pictures sorted for a decent update :D

First up, models people have seen before, except now with bases:

gORAVOP.jpg

6bDJEgV.jpg

qb4y28O.jpg

And of course, the inevitable ball...

k2uEPpe.jpg

Followed by Ghast, with his skin, trousers and some of his leathers sorted:

rOsSscG.jpg

Still lumbering towards gencon, if I can get ghast silence and the goal painted up I'll consider it a success - dirge is still on the sculpting table and I've been doing other things instead of working on him (because deadlines are so tedious :P )

19 hours ago, Selfy said:

You make me sick!:D

I try my best :P

Thanks guys, weirdly one of the bits I'm most pleased with is the base edging - I was really bored with black so decided to play around a bit with a more cloth-like swirl. Pretty pleased with that

22 minutes ago, Mako said:

I try my best :P

Thanks guys, weirdly one of the bits I'm most pleased with is the base edging - I was really bored with black so decided to play around a bit with a more cloth-like swirl. Pretty pleased with that

Yeah, the edges look really cool and unique. That's always been a concern to me, 2 of the  same model showing up and teh bases look too similar to tell whos is whos.

1 hour ago, Redtiger7 said:

Yeah, the edges look really cool and unique. That's always been a concern to me, 2 of the  same model showing up and teh bases look too similar to tell whos is whos.

I can assure you there's no chance of that happening with my minis!

As part of my final push to get things painted for gencon, I decided I needed a way to carry all my gaming widgets conveniently. For a single team, the half size KR case I have is a bit excessive so I figured I could swap one of the trays out for something to carry widgets. I... may have gotten carried away with the design :D

w0wsbYp.jpg

Zipped round three sides, pockets for all the essentials, sits neatly in the KR case in place of a 30mm model tray, the only thing it can't fit is the 10" measuring stick (which barely fits loose in the KR case anyway, so I'll just have to use the 4" and 6" sticks!)

Final pre-gencon update time! I had a bunch of stuff to do before I could finish, so I didn't hit my target of a fully painted team - Silence is only primed, and Dirge is still on the sculpting table. But I did get Ghast finished, complete with scarred skin, and painted up the goal.

QpIgCiU.jpg

6ploYlh.jpg

And a group shot, without the ball as I forgot I'd done that...

M4A6d22.jpg

Beautiful! I especially like the wonderful bases that add so much to those intricately painted models. Looking forward to seeing the others in the set... for now though... enjoy your GenCon @Mako

It's a little sad, but I ended up working out how to make custom gravel for the path - couldn't find any I liked in shops :D

The only problem I have with gencon is that I'll try and pick up the blacksmiths, then when I get back I still have to finish the morticians first six before I can start messing with the new toys!

It very much looks like the stones found in the beds of the rivers & streams in the foothills & rocky mountain areas west of my home. =)

Do you ever get any that turn out a bit crap?

I've just painted an engineers team. I did a test run on a disposable Stoker I had knocking about. Once I was happy I went straight in with Mainspring and he turned out a bit crap. Foolishly I then painted Salvo and he turned out even worse, so now I need a new Salvo and he doesn't come individually wrapped.

After that though it all came good and I was well happy with the rest.

So what do you do about the ones that go pearshaped? What's the best way to strip paint?

I bet you don't get crap ones, do you? :(

I have stuff turn out badly all the time, it's how I know I'm learning something new :D

I originally primed and started painting Silence, Cosset and Ghast in a different method. It sucked, so I stripped them. Unfortunately the resin SFG used did not like my paint stripper (which has worked fine on everything else I've tried, metals, plastics and about a dozen different resins) and it swelled. I had to trash all of them and buy in new copies (which also meant buying Obulus and graves in metal too... Cosset was an expensive mistake!)

For everything except SFG resins I use iso-propyl alcohol, the 96% kind not the 70% rubbing alcohol kind. SFG resins I have no good solution for, so I won't be testing things out on models I can't replace individually (which may be a bigger problem in the future of course...)

That said, if the paint is put on thin and smooth enough, sometimes I just re-prime and paint over it. Lazy but it works :P

Such an incredibly delicate and subtle painting style, I really do love this team. Do you paint the bases and varnish them before you add the model? chipping would scare me with them looking so good this way.

I've taken to spraying the bases and models separately, just to avoid that worry! Gloss coat, light dust of matte, then hand painted satin on the metals and anything else I want shiny. A bit of a faff, but the end result is more to my liking :)

When I get back from gencon, I have to make a tough choice - finish the morticians 6, or paint a blacksmith...

Might do one blacksmith so I can properly assess the new material (I'll break down all three available materials into different categories and score them if people are interested in my opinions) and try out my possibly insane colour scheme :P