Piledriver is a mental Play. +3 net hits mean you need 4 hits to get the momentus 7. He seems pretty awesome once you get him set up.

Ouch... 3 inf and he looks like he's going to be able to delete weaker players with a single charge attack!

Charge with a free Piledriver will quite consistently result in mom7 wrapped to another Piledriver (isn't the play strong enough to justify it being OPT?), which will in turn have very good odds to get to mom 7 again. Ouch... Though it was obvious that the last column wasn't there just as a joke and he will be able to reach it reliably.

But I don't get why he has 3/6" kick though?

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

Charge with a free Piledriver will quite consistently result in mom7 wrapped to another Piledriver (isn't the play strong enough to justify it being OPT?), which will in turn have very good odds to get to mom 7 again. Ouch... Though it was obvious that the last column wasn't there just as a joke and he will be able to reach it reliably.

Erm, he has a 9% to do that wrap to a 4+/1 model, and a 38% to do that to a 3+/1 model. I dunno about "quite consistently." Even with Singled Out the chances of that happening to a 4/1 just make it up to 27%...

Even just getting to the 7 with Piledriver on a charge versus a 4+/1 is only a 50% chance, and given a 3+/1 can Def Stance I don't think he'll do that super often without a lot more setup than just PD. Of course, the dude is clearly meant to be set up as much as possible, and there will be games where he makes heads explode. 

With Singled out (Anvil must still be there as well, right?) you are at 13 dice charging and only need 6 results. So where do 27% come from? 

3 minutes ago, Sid said:

With Singled out (Anvil must still be there as well, right?) you are at 13 dice charging and only need 6 results. So where do 27% come from? 

7 results, because you need a net of 9 successes to wrap to the PD as you described. 7 - 1 + 3. Seven 4+s on 11 dice is 27.4%, or if we add Anvil then seven 4+s on 12 dice is 38.7%.

The idea with him probably is to wrap. So I am pretty sure it would be quiet intelligent to get another player into the scrum. Preferably 2" melee. Also KD is a thing, which Anvil can do... quiet easily.

11 minutes ago, Cole said:

The idea with him probably is to wrap. So I am pretty sure it would be quiet intelligent to get another player into the scrum. Preferably 2" melee. Also KD is a thing, which Anvil can do... quiet easily.

Anvil can KD easily, if he can make it to Melee, but he's really slow - effectively only a 7" threat if you want to make attacks against someone. If you can Single out and KD a target while providing an assist, Sledge does start to look quite strong, but he's not got the same kind of early turn potential as some players do... 

Hitting that sweet wrap for 7 damage and a pile driver looks extremely satisfying though! ?

Just now, FearLord said:

Anvil can KD easily, if he can make it to Melee, but he's really slow - effectively only a 7" threat if you want to make attacks against someone. If you can Single out and KD a target while providing an assist, Sledge does start to look quite strong, but he's not got the same kind of early turn potential as some players do... 

Hitting that sweet wrap for 7 damage and a pile driver looks extremely satisfying though! ?

Well he has a very effective While the Iron is hot. THat gives you 2" for practically your whole team on round 1. The enemy walks up the field aswell, so I think his threat range can be quiet deceptive. Sledge is pretty fast though for someone of his caliber.

He seems overly powerful against low defense targets. The entire design of the Blacksmiths seems like a huge FU to the Brewers. They hit much harder (and momentously), are harder to kill, seem to have a ton of synergy, and want to be in a scrum.

1 hour ago, Nitz said:

"He looks really good, but remember, 1/3 can be rough depending on your teammates... take it from me." - sun loving Hearne

If only Hearne had 3/3 team mates to offset his low influence.

1 hour ago, wrenwood said:

He seems overly powerful against low defense targets. The entire design of the Blacksmiths seems like a huge FU to the Brewers. They hit much harder (and momentously), are harder to kill, seem to have a ton of synergy, and want to be in a scrum.

I mean we have only seen most of the rules for 2 models. Waaaaay to early to decide how this guild plays out based on this pair which is intended to synergize together.  Especially considering the background for them said things like practices and traditions of the guild vary greatly from city to city. And Master blacksmiths all have unique super shields which vary from big tower shields to small bucklers. 

"Master and Apprentice Blacksmith pairs can vary quite dramatically from one to the next in how they appear and how they play."

I think its premature to assume the whole guild's themes at this point. 

I have a feeling the downside for this team is going to be being locked in an activation order. If all the apprentices are dependent on the set up of the masters to get their best results your basically going to have to always activate the masters first. In a game the status of the board is constantly changing this may put the other team essentially one step ahead IE they always seeing who your setting up and knowing what you are going to do before you do it, which gives them an activation to try and ruin that for you in one way or the other. Morticians players may not be big on Silence now but when they go against this team I have a feeling he can ruin some Blacksmiths days.

Was thinking on similar themes.  Activating a Master does sort of telegraph that the apprentice will be next, and gives the opponent a turn to take out said apprentice, or ruin his day at the very least.

All this talk of what damage the boy can dish out and nothing on his apparent weaknesses. 4+/1 is average, but 12hp is two points lower than the mythical game average - compare this with Brewers where the average is 16 and the lowest is 12 on Friday! To benefit from the +1 ARM of sentinel he needs to be within 1" of Anvil. That's a set up for AOE's and pulses (Flurry aimed at Anvil!) and unless he's in base to base a single 1" push drops that armour bonus. Plus Anvil has probably already moved to engage Sledge's target to give a ganging up bonus, so they aren't always going to be 1" from each other. And he has no innate defensive traits.

Then we look at Sledge's counter-attack opportunity. TAC 5, KD on the fourth column and double push on the fifth, that's almost no defensive ability at all! Granted with Knockback he can get a 2" push with three hits, but against a 4+/1 that's a 50/50 chance. Almost any of the big guys with 2" reach will eat this fella alive in one activation with no set up and influence to spare. 

That big 7 DMG is a headline grabber, and it's going to be amazing to see it come off. But it needs a good amount of set-up that's going to broadcast your moves a long way in advance, and in return he's looks as soft to chew up as Anvil is hard.

Well, he has to have some weakness to counter that brutality!

Its more fun to look at what he might achieve than how he'll die tho :P 

I have other, secret ways to counter those threads... *laughs maniacally*

Not that I'm going mad with power or anything :D

I'm just waiting for the first time I take them onto the field, because between me and my usual opponent the laws of probability usually give up and go home. I'm fairly sure I can fluff the charge so badly I can barely trigger piledriver, or he can go in to claim what should be an easy takeout and leave Sledge alive and angry!

The more I look, the more I'm seeing them as potentially very strong but needing really careful order of activation and set up - they're not going to be the most flexible of teams in that sense, I suspect.