Sign in to follow this  
burroboskov

BurroBoskov's Match Summaries: On the Prowl

Howdy Hunters. I'm Burro Boskov and I've been playing Guildball since the tail end of Season 1 on and off. Recently I've been trying to get games in on a regular basis and focus on it as my main game. My first love are the Alchemists, and you can read about my exploits with them right here! However I've been itching for a change of pace, and settled on the Hunters.

In this Topic I'll be detailing the games I play with the Hunters, as well as my thoughts on my play, and inevitably how I feel about the models. I always welcome criticism and discussion, especially when it leads to better play, so please feel free to let me know what you think about whatever I write about here.

Ok, cool. 

Hunters Game 1 - NBG 5/18/17

Playing against my regular practice partner, who was bringing Engineers. My ten was 

Skatha,Theron,Fahad,Jaecar,Egret,Zarola,Hearne1,Hearne2,Ulfr,Chaska.

He went Pin Vice/Mother, and I Theron/Fahad, with me receving. Our line ups in draft order were

Theron,Fahad,Jaecar,Hearne1,Chaska,Zarola

PinVice,Mother,Colossus,Hoist,Compound,Ratchet

I knew I wanted to play Theron for my first game with Hunters, since I was drawn to them for the punchy side of things that Alchemists don't prioritize (usually). @EpicChrishas convinced me that Hearne1 is a necessity with him. Jaecar is Hunters, and Chaska's rules are part of what drew me to them. I went with Zarola to see what having the option for a Linked activation would be like. My opponent normally plays Ballista, so I was excited to see what the core Engineer players (Ratchet, Hoist and Colossus are almost no brainers to me) would achieve under a new leader.

Pin Vice kicks off, and the ball ends up fairly centrally.

CoKLO0u.jpg

Turn 1

Gah, my models are so naked! I need to fix that... I hear Theron likes to Pin fast people and make it annoying for them. So I try that with my first activation. I put out a forest, collect the ball, I land the Pinned on Pin Vice and pass it back to Hearne. I Bless Hearne. PinVice is snared and would have to move through the forest to get to Jaecar, so that's his ball pressure out the window. He moves Compound, I move Fahad, Mother sets a Net Marker down, I have Chaska put +1 arm on Theron. Hoist replicates Burrow, gets to Theron but has no luck against the 4+ 2 arm. A very questionable move, because even if he does achieve something with his attacks, Hearne gets a free Skewer, and an attack before passing the ball to Zarola and Blessing her. So now Hoist is all set up for Jaecar. Colossus moves up, Jaecar goes in on Hoist leaving him real low, and the trap puts bleed on him. Ratchet clears pin vices conditions. Zarola Midnight offering's Theron out of PinVice's LoS, and sprints to the other side of the pitch, trying to "kill" the ball. Pin Vice is able to get to Theron, but I double doge away with my counter. Much counter attack.

Turn 2

MjdrLNz.jpg

Hunter's take first turn. Hoist goes down early (Chaska Boom Box? or else Theron), and the left side develops a big scrum where TheronHearneJeacar(THJ) are wailing on PinVice and Colossus. PinVice tries to go in on Theron who dodges our again. Jaecar gets Pin Vice down really low, but I get nervous about not being able to finish her off next turn due reanimate. Fahad gets a charge on Mother, and Zarola keeps flanking left. Rachet comes toward center and Compound tries to head off Zarola. At this point I'm feeling really in control, and I can get these two take outs the game should fall into line.

Turn 3

Z7uELnJ.jpg

I win momentum, but I mess up this turn. I try to be too fancy with Jaecar, who dodges away from PV, and lays into snared KD Colossus. I get wraps, but choose two push dodges results on the "high" result instead of the 4(down to 3) damage so I can get the big guy to trigger the trap. I should have just gone for straight damage. Even with tough hide, if I stack my buffs properly I should kill him this turn. But I don't! Hearne spent some time trying to mess with Pin Vice, and Theron was spreading inf out. I also spent Chaska's boom boxes on clearing Fahad, when it should have just been additional damage into the def 2 colossus. Colossus KD's Hearne, and then gets an unexpected arrival, displacing my entire scrum, and PinVice escapes to the other side of the board. Thankfully he doesn't achieve much damage, and even on the other side of things while Compound is able to get the ball away from Zarola, he can only unsnap it with Compound. Zarola somehow gets it back and runs away from Hoist.

Turn 4

Don't have a photo, but this turn is even worse. I let him go first, thinking he can't get to Zarola, and then I'll do a linked activation goal of some sort. I should have had Fahad go first and get a free charge for Momentum, then Zarola link to midnight offering herself into range. But instead the freed Colossus charges over and gets the ball. This allows PinVice to set up a goal with her legendary, while Fahad kills mother. I get focused on taking out PV, and while Chaska could send her one Boom Box and then get the kicked out ball and pass it up to Jaecar, but gets greedy and tries a second which misses! Theron moves over there to try and get some work done, and Jaecar moves up into the back field. Hearne spend his turn standing since I've forgotten to place forest for a few turns. Our clocks are both spent at the point, and we end the turn tied at 8-8.

Turn 5

I win turn. It's getting late but the game will be done in 7 activations (7 minutes even technically), so we play it out. Theron has a full stack and dodges off of colossus into Pin Vice. He is able to kill her through the reanimate with his final attack. Snare on every damage is a big deal. 10-9. He takes out Fahad. 11-10. Jaecar kills Mother. 12-10.

QTnKdzl.jpg

12 Hunter - 10 Engineers

(2*Mother, Hoist,Pin Vice take outs, 6 clock points) - (Pin Vice Goal, Fahad Take out, 5 clock points)

Not a pretty first outing for my hunters, but still an exciting one! The Order of Activations problems that come with an ability like Blessing are a real clock eater, and getting used to the stat lines also took time. I also like the shiny shiny things hunters can do, but sometimes I just need to go for straight damage. My opponent probably shouldn't have sent in PV or Hoist on turn 1. I was happy to eat them one at a time, if I only knew how to use my teeth! The Fahad Zarola flank showed some potential, I'd be willing to try it again. Midnight offering is also very good, but Zarola's play book is just utter pants.

I'm excited to get some more games with my second guild!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and nice report. Yeah Hunters can distract you with 'cool shit' but you need to stay focussed and win those points! 

Regarding Jaecar and <> into a trap - this is worth it to move a 3+ player to 2+ but usually for a 4+ or 2+ not worth it as the extra hits don't change the maths as much. Better to use as a deterrent. Also never forget Gut & String - G&S and Snared is brutal. 

Game 2 - 6/9/17 NBG

Took out the Alchemists for a tournament last weekend, you can read about it here, but now I'm back on the Hunters Horse. Or Bear or something. Go Hunters!

I was playing against @dtjunkie19 and he was working on some Pin Vice strats. He has a thread over here, in case you want to see the report from his point of view (and certainly the photos, since we basically took photos at exactly the same time. :P)

Theron and Fahad receiving w/ oHearne, Jaecar, Chaska, Ulfur

Pin Vice and Mother kicking w/ Colossus, Hoist, Ratchet, Velocity

I'm committed to the Theron train for at least 5 games, and Jaecar and Chaska are pretty solid auto includes. oHearne likes forests to jump into, and I drew Wingback so wanted to see if that helps Ulfur out. PV squad looks pretty standard, and Velocity just turns the teams goal threat to dah max!

PV kicks off, and it is fairly central.

WtnHCFy.jpg

Turn 1

As you can see Colossus is just the bast for this game. Theron gets a full stack, and is able to put a forest on the aggressive pin vice, pass the ball back, Pin PV with Sun Strike and get Blessing of the Sun Father onto oHearne. oHearne goes in and Skweres PV and I'm feeling ok. Hoist gets to Burrow into oHearne, and now I start to get worried for the big man. NXkFdKx.jpg

Chaska Sprints up to Boom Box PV away, but misses the 75% shot (foreshadowing!), and so PV is able to wail on oHearne, bringing him to half by the end of turn. This was brutal since she would have been forced to go onto Theron instead, who has decent counter attacks. Jaecar starts on Hoist putting up a trap and BttS away, and Ulfur passes the ball to Theron in the last activation for a single point momentum lead.

Turn 2

I do win the first activation, and Theron gets a full stack again. He charges mother, double dodges off into goal range, and gets pretty bad returns on his remaining stack, maybe doing a little damage to Mother and Blessing Chaska. He gets the goal, but I think in the future I give him only 4 or so, just to guarantee the goal and gives inf elsewhere. Also, I kept the forest in basically the same place this turn just out of laziness. Need to think more about Forest placement. I dodge over to engage ratchet, and receive a vengeance token.

VaqEmja.jpg

Ball gets out to Colossus, PV Kills Hearne and gets over to Theron, using the vengenace token for some good damage. Jaecar keeps swinging on Hoist and then BttS to engage Ratchet. Velocity calms down Fahad :-( and Ufur tries to get in the way of the Colossus goal. Chaska misses 2 more Boom Boxes into Hoist! He must have brought blanks to the game...

ESAfrQ4.jpg

Hoist clears a path for Colossus by messing with Ulfur, Mother helps with that, and Colossus scores at the end of the turn. I put the ball out to the left for a returning Hearne. 4-6 for the Engineers.

Turn 3

uuPmtLa.jpg

Colossus KD's Ulfur and singles him out and gets to the ball. Fahad, Theron work on Ratchet, while Hoist moves Ulfur wherever he wants with Push Dodges. Mother tries to protect PV from a potential Boom Box. Jaecar kills Ratchet, and with his last swing can hit PV. I was really hoping to get the gut and string to get Jaecar to safety, but he only gets 1 5, and so he BttS's to the middle of the field in fear of PV. Chaska can be a hero if he hits all three of his Boom Boxes this turn on PV, but misses the first (she was at def 5), then misses 1 of his last 2 against Hoist. Yikes. Velocity gets to the middle, oHearne KD's colossus hoping the ball scatters to him. Predictably it doesn't. 6-8 Engineers

Turn 4

jp5H6HW.jpg

Hearne can get the ball and teleport to the middle. He KD and singles out Hoist before passing it to Chaska. PV charges through the trap to tackle the ball from Chaska. I counter and get the KD. Ball scatters over by Theron and mother. That should be her turn right there right? Let me start a new paragraph for what happens next.

PV pays to stand up, and is able to get enough double dodges off of 2 attacks on Chaska and Theron to still get the ball. She uses her Legendary and passes to Mother, PV dodges. Mother Oil token ball back to PV, PV dodges. PV oil token to Velocity, PV Dodges. PV passes again to Velocity, Velocity dodges into cover of the Barrier, out of range of Jaecar.

Bonkers. We later discuss that he could have ended the activation with a snapshot, but this was certainly the safer play.

The writing is on the wall, so Chaska tries to take out Hoist with attacks since I've got 2 crowd outs and he is KD and snared (forgot about the singled out too...), but gets him to 1. (Should have been Jaecar! Whoops)

Velocity slots home the 5 die tap in.

y9gskYP.jpg

6-12 Engineers

(Theron Goal, Ratchet) - (Colossus Goal, Velocity Goal, oHearne, Jaecar)

If I had got PV off of oHearne turn 1 that would have been nice, but he was still in some trouble. The Jaecar take out happend very quickly too, and I might have been able to avoid it. However, Ulfur was a non factor, and I should never put Fahad across from Velocity, he will just be neutered. I need to work on my Forest placement too. Also, Chaska missing Boomboxes is just brutal. Still, a good game, lots of learning points too. I did clock out at the begining of Turn 4, but I'm feeling a lot quicker with the rules which is good.

3 more games to go with The Ron! Might be time to try out vHearne and maybe even Egret!

Game 3 nbg, 7/20/17

It's been over a month since I last posted, I've been traveling and finishing up a job. Hopefully I'll be able to get 1.5 games up per week for the foreseeable future! This week I was still rocking Theron. It felt a little awkward, but that's normal since this was my third game with him/hunters! I played against a newer morticians player (our little gb group is growing), and we didn't use a clock, which was probably a mistake. 

Theron Fahad receiving w/ Zarola, vHearne, Jaecar and Egret. 

Obulus Dirge kicking w/ Ghast, Cosette, oGraves and BPM. 

b6SMLFj.jpg

Looks like the kickoff might have actually just bounced on that obstruction, but that's where it ended. I decided to go with Theron and pin Obulus. This led to lure coming out on him from cosset, so I pulled him back with zarola's midnight offering. Graves toiled up ghast, and I was still afraid of Theron getting mulched that I had vhearne sprint to the ball and pass it to him, dodging away.

JYGWWhn.jpg

This could have been considered good play, if Theron was the only one at risk. However, I foolishly also exposed Jaecar and vHearne to puppet master plays, and my opponent was able to get Jaecar in the middle of morts with a big pile of damage. Egret did get to flurry atleast.

Turn 2

6I4SrTb.jpg

I have man marking as a card, so once my opponent goes first with obulus to puppet strings then all from Theron and kill Jaecar, I start to try to get the ferryman. Egret is able to dodge base to base with swift strikes/btts, and Theron dodges off of memory, in cover so Obs counter fails. Finally Fahad completed the triangle and does enough damage with her charge. On the other end, vhearne is buying time (dying to everyone else) and trying to get the ball from graves, and zarola engages cosset.

2-2

Turn 3

XRK3W8H.jpg

I think I went first? But jaecar  comes on and uses wingback to get at cosset. She melts to him, and I foolishly stuff him between ghast and graves, thinking it will help with crowd outs. Vhearne lasts another activation because he is able to kd graves, scattering the ball towards their goal. But then he dies.

nJCck5c.jpg

Theron spends his activation bouncing off graves and scoring, ball going out to the side obulus is on, he picks it up. Egret has flurried every turn, and between a bolas from zarola and a charge from Fahad, graves goes down. Chip damage adds up! 10-4

Turn 4

obulus kills jaecar but takes one too many inf to do so, and is just short of a goal himself. The typical hunter brawlers of egret and zarola surround ghast, who is at half health after flurries/poison, and Theron eventually finishes him off.

WwQVvJt.jpg

Hunters win 12-6!

I liked egret in that game, first time using her. Was happy with my play to get her into obulous. Vhearne was a little lack luster, he really wants his enemy to be snared. Never had the momentum to use last light. Jaecar is so fragile, I need to protect him more. Theron was MVP in the end, getting 6 points and assiting with another 4. Fahad was doing 6 damage charges which was pivotal to take outs. And zarola wasn't terrible, even if she was just there for midnight offering. 

Like I said, my opponent was new, so I don't think he knew all the obulous tricks. Probably would have been a different story against a more experienced player, but it felt nice to win!

Tournament Report - The War Store, LI, 8/23/17

My first tournament with the Hunters! I was pretty cautious about my chances with taking them, as you know, they are hunters ;). But I was looking forward to trying out Skatha, and a day's worth of play is a great way to start learning a new piece. Plus, since @warder808 and I arrived early (actually on time, but others were tardy), we got about halfway through a game so I worked out some kinks and tried some strategies out, briefly.

I took

Skatha, Theron, Fahad, oHearne, vHearne, Seenah, Chaska, Jaecar, Egret, Zarola. Plans was to play Skatha often, and I did!
Once we started the field only turned out to be 6 deep, so 3 rounds and done.

Game 4 - Round 1
Jacob + Morticians

Jacob worked at the store and agreed to participate so we would have an even number. Swell chap. He was rocking Morts, and said he hadn't played in a month or so. He took

Obulus and Dirge Kicking, with Graves, BP+M, Cosset, and Bonesaw
to my
Skatha and Fahad with Zarola, vHearne, Jaecar, and Egret.

I always take Zarola into an Obby Matchup, and Egret was there to try to keep goal scoring pressure up, or do silly dodges into Obulus.
I failed to take any photos of the start of the game, but Turn 1 consisted of Egret getting a Flurry off on Bonesaw and Obby, Skatha extending Jaecar into range of Bonesaw, and the Mort's lack of momentum allowing me to bring Bonesaw down to 2 health before succumbing to Poison at the end of the turn. 2-0 for Hunters. Skatha also must have put cold snap on Obulus, as Jaecar was able to pass the ball at the start of Turn 2 back to Skatha, and dodge into Obby. My opponent never did counter attack (I still had Jaecar's movement, so I could have gone for another player...) and I was able to take out the Ferryman with a medium stack on influence. Graves and Cosset started working on returning the favor on Jaecar, while Skatha scored and BP+M did some work on vHearne. Egret dodged around and pew pewed. 6-0

Turn 3 

raHuAXd.jpg
Jaecar gets taken out by Graves, but Zarola Bola's Cosset, links to Fahad and with a Furious charge I've got a decent chance to take her out, (flurry, poison, crazy) but leave her on 1! She heals and attacks the kitty, but since she healed is still snared, and on 2 health! She fails to one shot the Kitty, and my counter takes her out! 8-2. Bonesaw also scores, ball going out to my kitty, and the rest of the hunters converge on Brain Pan.

Turn 4

IVdAfyb.jpg

Graves goes first, and takes Skatha out, who has a big stack. I'm not worried though, because I have a chance for kitty glory! Zarola midnight offerings Fahad, links right back, and Fahad jogs into range for a single die snap in for the win! Of course I miss it... BP+M do something, but Jaecar puts the game away, putting 4 influence into Bonesaw and putting him down for the second time. 

MmfP45e.jpg

12-8 Hunters! (Skatha Goal, Bonesaw*2, Obulus, Cosset) - (Bonesaw Goal, Jaecar, Skatha)

Jacob said he remembered how to play halfway through the game, which I think I noticed. He mounted a good comeback. Obulus probably could have had better activations, and Bonesaw is an easy target for the Hunters. I was happy to take the win!

Game 5 - Round 2

Playing against Leah, who was rocking Fish, and a lineup she was comfortable with. We played,

Shark and Salt kicking with Greayscales, Sakana, Jac and Hag

Skatha and Fahad with vHearne, Jaecar, Seenah, and Chaska

I wanted damage to take out the Fish quickly, and putting traps with Chaska might protect my goal some what.

Turn 1

I was very aware of Shark's kickoff pressure, and tried to keep the ball out of his base charge range, with only a stack of 4 on him. vHearne messed up the pass back...

PlssNng.jpg

As did Chaska to Skatha the next activation! Still, I though the ball would be safe ~14" from Shark. But he gets a wrap off his charge on Chaska, tackles the ball, legendaries on everyone but Farahad, and slots in the goal! 0-4 Fish. He runs the length to my right. Skatha gets herself and vHearne surrounding him with a snowball, and Seenah gets a wrap in return to KD him and start the damage. With fastground Jaecar is also able to charge onto an overextended Jac for some more momentum, and Fahad gets ball handling duties.

Turn 2
No inf on Shark means I don't need to take him out first, so Fahad gets further from my goal and puts up Nimble.

a7DRTNI.jpg

Jac moves up to try for a snap shot, Skatha spends a stack killing Shark momentously, and snowballing Seenah into a good position. Salt and Greyscales eventually get the ball back, but the pass to Jac misses, scattering behind my goal line. That lets me focus on taking out Jac, which Seenah does with a bear hug. 5-4.

N2OuSVq.jpg

Turn 3 on

I failed to take any more photos, but Skatha gets the ball in what I think is a safe position. Salt manages to get a sic em charge on her, which could have enabled a tap in otter goal, but the little guy doesn't get enough hits. vHearne KD's pushes, and then snares Sakana with a Last Light Skewer (that was a fun activation), and is then joined by Chaska to watch as Seenah Bear Hugs Sakana. 8-4. I try and set up a Chaska goal on Turn 4, with fast ground and snowball dodges, but Greyscales ruins everything and gets the ball away and outside of base to base for my 2" players. My opponent is giving me points from the clock at this point though, so all I need to do is have Jaecar take out a returned Shark which he does with gusto, and the game is over.

12-4 for the Hunters! (Shark*2, BH Jac, BH Sakana, 2 from clock) - (Shark Goal)

If the clock didn't seal it, I was approaching Hag and Grey scales, or I guess Seenah could have tried for a bear hug on salt? The points were there, even the goal wasn't completely off the table. Leah was a newer player, but did a great job in the game. I think she could have kept her fish out a little further, only committing them if it ensures the ball or a goal. Funnily enough the Shark legenedary turn 1 forced me to stay deep, which was good in the end as I just got to kill fishies as they came close. 

Game 6 - Round 3
Final game of the day was against Kyle, who in the two months since we played at the last tournament had painted up his brewers very nicely. They won best painted. But would they win the game? For the third game in a row I was at the same table, won the dice off and was on the same side!

Tapper and Quaff kicking with Mash, Hooper, oSpigot and Friday

Skatha and Fahad receiving with Jaecar, vHearne, Egret and Chaska

I figured the bear would be destroyed at 2+, 1, and wouldn't be able to disengage quickly enough against the hardy butchers. Egret does well against low def models who like to be in a big scrum, Chaska was there for damage and more traps. vHearne was earning a staple position next to Jaecar.

Turn 1 was cagey, as tapper was kicking off and I did not want to have any of my players get deleted by his stack of influence. Chaska retrieved the ball, which I passed down the line. The brewers were forced to just run up, and Egret got a decent flurry out. Skatha set Jaecar up and snared Tapper with my second to last activation, and Jaecar was able to walk 9" (so good...) into Spigot and do a lot of damage, bleed, and lay his trap before dodging out of Tapper's reduced range. Tapper could do little but sprint to the rest of his team.

From here this game turned into a brutal denial game where I would start each turn with Jaecar, gut and string the snared Tapper, and dodge away. Being able to get him into when he had little to know momentum meant that I was able to neutralize a 4-5 stack Tapper almost every turn. 

vnahdRF.jpg

I took oSpigot out with an Egret Flurry, and because of their position around the barrier (and my opponents fear of Jaecar's trap), Mash and Hooper were relegated to the left flank, where I was happy to let them chew on Fahad. Friday came up to dirty knives some of my players, but was heavily damaged in return.

6UbkqF4.jpg

I took out Friday and continued to stifle Tapper, 4-0. Skatha scored a goal, and Spigot was taken out a second time by Jaecar. 10-0. Mash and Hooper got through Fahad and were working on Egret, and Tapper finally got to Jaecar, while Friday returned a goal, 10-7. Tapper was my next target, KD and Snared by vHearne and Chaska. My clock runs out durring allocation, meaning I have one turn to win! Howerver, I had a good chance to win. I have enough players around Tapper that he should go down, but instead with my first activation of Turn 4, vHearne swings on snared Tapper for momentus damage, teleports closer to the goal, sprints into tap in range, and slots home the winning goal. 

xnaOV6l.jpg

12-7 for the Hunters! (Skatha and vHearne Goal, oSpigot *2, Friday) - (Friday Goal, Fahad, Jaecar)

I think my opponent needed to be able to threaten me with more than one piece. I was only really going to be able lock down one of his pieces with Jaecar each turn, so if he focused on advancing Tapper every turn, and didn't hog tie Mash and Hooper by placing them on the far side of the barrier, I would have had a much harder time setting the engagements. As it was, I could tell it wasn't a very fun game for Kyle. This was a bummer, because I hate being a part of a negative play experience. 

Either way, being the only 3-0 players on the day gave me the tournament win, my second in a row at The War Store! I think the smaller, greener field worked to my advantage (dodging @warder808 also helped), but it still felt good to not only have 3 good wins with Skatha, but a tournament victory with my Hunters!

Don't really see a reason to play Theron unless they change something about him...

Game 7 - NBG (7/26/17)

Hot off my tournament win, I took my hunters to the store. This was the day before the errata, and I was still enjoying learning how skatha worked, thinking that I would be playing her for my entire Hunter career. (The Ron returns!)

Played a familiar opponent T. He's looking to try some other guilds as he returns to GB, but was happy to play his brewers today. I wanted to see if I could repeat my success from my final game. 

Skatha and Fahad receiving w/ vHearne, Jaecar, Chaska and Seenah

Tapper and Scum kicking w/ Hooper, Mash, oSpigot and Friday

I debated about the bear. 2" is great, but I was worried she would get neutralized. That said, she can dish out some damage, and I was thinking that I needed to do some work. My opponents line up seemed standard.

WPY6zrA.jpg

Tapper's kick went off to my left. He was only going to be able to get it with Tapper, which would have been fine with me, so I was able to do some set up with Skatha (snowball Jaecar, cold snap Tapper) and Hearne (get in a forest) before Chaska went to get it, missing a pass to Fahad. His players had to durdle out of range while Jaecar gut and string Tapper and btts away to safety. Fahad missed a pass back to Chaska, and Seenah set up for next turn. The brewers marched up, setting a bunker around Tapper(who sprinted his full inch)

t4MJNn8.jpg

Turn 2

I go first, and don't like the ideas of sending anyone into the Tapper bunker, so Chaska just retrieves the ball (maybe missing another pass?). Mash clears snare to get to the bear, and knocks her down and gets momentum. In return Seenah, Fahad and Jaecar take him out, but the brewers are trying to set up Spigot onto the bear. Tapper gets marked target off, and there is a momentum for times called, so even though Jaecar tries to pass the ball to extricate the bear, however it's still in range. (Bad placement here, even if I can't get out of the 14" threat, at least get cover!)

G3ZlcNf.jpg

Spigot starts wailing on the bear, with wraps, kd and doing damage (ball back in my left corner). 

I've lost track of a game plan at this point, trying to brawl with the brewers. Jaecar and the bear get Spigot to 1 or 2 health at some point, but Tapper gets over to Chaska and one rounds him with Commanding Aura, healing Spigot. Hooper gets involved with Seenah and bear goes down. My clock gets low, as Hearne tries to play traffic warden and kd brewers. By turn 4 I manage to snag Spigot, but Friday waltzed in for a goal at some point, and while Jaecar can dance around all he wants, he can't stop Hooper and Tapper from killing Hearne.

4-12 for the Brewers. (Mash, Spigot) - (Friday goal, Seenah, Chaska, Hearne, 2*clock)

If I had managed to keep Seenah safe Turn 2, that would have been a game changer. As such, I should have bailed on the bear, and focused on scoring. Chaska could have ran up that flank to atleast cause him to split attention, and Skatha and Hearne were wasting time on the other side. I relied too heavily on Jaecar, and didn't utilize Skatha's mobility tricks well. 

Also, don't try to brawl with the brewers! Makes me think the bear isn't the best choice. Egret offers another goal threat, and flurry on bunched up butchers.  

Plenty of food for thought, but the big hope is to get some games in with fancy new The Ron!

Yikes, it's been a minute. I brought some models to paint while on vacation in London, but then realized I had enough for a team! Reach out to the locals on facebook, and I got to sneak in a few games during a free afternoon!

Shout out to Dark Sphere and their pundit J, for finding time for a transatlantic gamer!

Game 8 (29/12/17) Dark Sphere, London

Line ups- Skatha, Snow, Minx, Ulfur, Seenah, vHearne. 

Ballista, Mother, Ratchet, Hoist, Velocity, Salvo.

Limited line up for me (only other option was Theron, and he doesn't synergize as well with the others. I'm not used to see Salvo, but the rest of the squad is standard cogs.

Skatha kicks off, ballista collects misses deadbolt on skatha, snaps unsnaps to ratchet. Skatha scores off a snowball and charge (wraps a cold snap!) two attacks etc. no legendary needed (but I also forgot). 4-0 Kickout goes poorly into the middle, ratchet goes for skatha, but counters out of range. Snow gets ball, and is sitting in seenahs charge lane (skathas fast ground on her), so no one wants to get it off him. The rest of my team stalks up, and he is unable to get momentum. Seenah and minx are threatening into the middle. 

I think I win the roll off? Snow attempts a pass to skatha, misses. Rachet collects, gives to ballista and blasted earth seenah. Skatha fast grounds seenah in return, legendary, shuffles into position off of ratchet, knicks the ball off ballista with help from legendary, and gets a Tap in. 8-0 Ballista dead bolts seenah and gets the ball to velocity, but it's not enough at this point. Seenah is still in range to stand up with momentum, and eats a snared 16 health rachet with a wrapped charge and two attacks. 10-0. Velocity scores a consolation goal 10-4, but my kick in allows minx to snap the ball off a charge, and then bonus times pass it to skatha for a bonus timed tap in. 12-4

Quick game so we re-rack. 

Game 9 - (29/12/17) Black Sphere, London

Lineups - Skatha, Snow, Minx, Ulfur, Seenah, vHearne

Pin Vice, Mother, Salvo, Velocity, Colossus, Locus

I stick with my best available line up (appreciating the chance to use models that I don't normally) and he goes for something a little more footbally. 

As I kick I realize just how much ball retrieval he has. I go for a greedy kick off with Skatha into an obstacle, but even then he has three players who can get it comfortably. Mother does it with a neat marker. We spend the whole turn playing around our goal/counter goal options. Skatha, velocity, and pin vice all have big stacks, and seenah and vhearne are ready for anyone coming in. We burn activations, and when he decides to use locus to pull minx up for a salvo charge, he gets greedy and moves colossus up as well into assisted bear threat range. This is happening on my right, while Pinvice and velocity are both on my left, so I decide that I can suffer a goal this turn if I control the right and let the bear eat something and get a counter goal from the right. This becomes even more obvious when pinvice decides not to go for the turn one goal. I understand he is hesitant to potentially lose his captain for a turn+, but this lets me focus the right. With the goal off the table, skatha spends her turn speeding up seenah, snaring collosus and locus, and snowballing minx out of danger, then KD colossus with a charge. Other things happen including ulfur trying to take the ball off of velocity (if I had a model with close control, I would remember it more often), and salvo putting a flurry into skatha, minx and colossus. Then seenah charges into a two crowd outs, snared, kd colossus. I get him right down and a bucket of momentum, healing minx. 

I go first and JUST murder colossus with bear hug (that salvo flurry ended up mattering!), *top tip, always roar, even if just to proc stoic, it earned me a momentum from a wrap* retreating seenah afterwards. 3-0 Velocity scores almost trivially, like she does, staying in snapshot range. 3-4. I kick the ball out to the right, looking to get a few more kills before scoring and giving him back the ball. Mother, Salvo, and Locus all have ways to retrieve the free ball, but not to pass it to Velocity.

Mother is now a valid target, since she would get me to even points again. I walk Ulfur into her and with a combination of rolling well and bonus timing I get the 2 momentum twice, leaving her on 5. Locus whiffs on minx, and kd's skatha. I charge hearne into a defensive stance mother, roll fire and get the momentum 3. Last light a skewered for the kill. 4-4. Pinvice deletions and deletes snow. 4-5. Salvo gets the ball to velocity, but can't snapshot since he is one momentum short. I have minx and skatha left, and we set up a snared Salvo for Seenah to munch on next turn. 

I can't lose first, and have to choose between a full stack skatha or 2 inf vhearne to get the ball from velocity. I end up going with vhearne, since although the KD is more random, I want to keep skatha's options open. He can't hit his second column with two attempts, and velocity scores again. 4-9. Oh well, the right is still safe as locus got no inf, so I kick out over there. Seenah eats salvo who had 3 inf. Really impressed with her damage potential when she is set up well. 6-9. My opponent is stuck at this point. None of his team can get to the ball, and two more takeouts seems hard. He charges pinvice into seenah, but I defensive which prevents a wrap, and then counter the next attack to keep her as far from the ball as possible, since risking the KD is a bad idea. All I need to do now is run Ulfur away from the returned mother/colossus, minx goes into pinvice to get snared and a crowd out, skatha snowballs seenah into crowdout, fast grounds to get the ball, and puts attacks into pinvice, kd and leaving her on 2. 

I can't lose first again, and load skatha up. She procs pinvices reanimate on the first attack, does mom 2 on the second. It's a little scary with the inevitable counter, but because of minx and seenah, I'm still in melee range even after a push dodge. Third inf kills her, then I need to snowball dodge to avoid a parting blow from locus so bonus time that, and bonus time for a 5 dice shot to win. 12-9.

Velocity 2goals, pin vice puts snow down. Seenah bear hugs colossus, Ulfur and vhearne get mother, seenah eats salvo, skatha six points off of pin vice kill and a goal ftw.

So after two games the skatha list plays a 3-0 and a 1-4 style! 

I think I drop Ulfur for egret, since Jaecar always wants more inf than he can make. 

Either way, great to have a chance to play again!

My European tour continues! I'm in Norway, Stavanger in particular, and reach out to the local Outland gaming store and set up a game with one of their staff called J after hours. I love how keen and accommodating gb folks are to play with strangers!

J uses masons, and is still relatively new to the game. We use no clocks or plots and set 6 man teams. Not my usual level of play, but I'm just happy for a game!

Game 10 (1/10/18) Outland, Stavanger Norway

Skatha, vhearne, snow, minx, seenah, ulfur 

Honor, marbles, harmony, mallet, brick, flint 

Moon Goddess vs kickstarter models, I've got more mobility but the masons are their ever flexible selves. 

I receive, mallet kicks. He gets a big stack, so Ulfur retrieves it, passes it to snow, and gets out of 9". I know the mallet (superior strategied) is going to come down hard somewhere, and there isn't much to do about it. I get the ball to skatha in cover with hearne and snow as support, center the bear and spread minx and Ulfur out. Skatha gets some snared out and between a hearne skewered and her they put 4 damage into harmony. The masons move up in a bubble of counter charge and armor except for flint who is staying on my left nearish minx and Ulfur. Mallet decides to go into hearne and farms momentum (only 4 damage, but kd) to heal harmony and go first. 

Turn 2

Honor spends a stack going into hearne, legendaries for 5 models worth of inf, and harmony links to finish off vhearne, back to the shadows away. 0-2 I think he had a play at a goal too, although it wasn't sure. It was a lot of influence though, and so I can get myself back into the game. Skatha snares brick and honor, dodges off of honor (procing her poised) and snowballs and jogs to get the ball over to minx, ending centrally. Mallet does some damage to skatha, but she is fine. Marbles comes over to engage minx, Ulfur engages marbles, brick comes back to play goalie minx gets a dodge off marbles out of combat, unsnaps to Ulfur, free charges flint. Flint scuttles up and whiffs some attacks. Snow puts anatomical on seenah, and the bear starts chewing on harmony. Between minx and seenah, and him having to clear conditions, I'm up on momentum and go first. 

Turn 3. 

Ulfur goes for goal, where did they go, momentum dodge off marbles, walk to engage brick and be in Tap in. 2 dice tap in is not a sure thing, but it works out. 4-2. I can do that first because honor has nothing on her. Flint scores a counter goal, just getting the momentum off of a charge on a def stance skatha. 4-6.   I kick the ball off to the right, where a returned hearne and harmony look at it (instead of the bear eating honor) Skatha wants the ball, but once I hit a momentous two on my first swing against flint, I decide to change tack. She snares mallet and  flint, legendaries, puts 2 more mom 2 into flint, using the frost token and fast ground to get over to the right. Mallet goes for minx, getting to half. Minx tries to dodge around, but ends up whiffing. She heals. Honor stands up to face her fate, linking to harmony who can sprint to the ball but is stuck there. Seenah finally activates, and with 2 inf and a free charge, rolls hot and bear hugs BOTH Honor and Flint, for a 6 point activation! 10-6 Brick engages minx too. Hearne heals and engages harmony. I'm up a lot after seenah, and go first. 

Turn 4

I need one kill and harmony is right there with the ball. Hearne goes first and gets the kd on the first try, and a little more damage. Ball scatters backwards, and hearne collects it and gets into cover, just within 2" of harmony. Honor has come back on, and goes into minx. 11 health left and two crowd outs should clinch the kill, and then harmony needs to get lucky against hearne and he could have 6 points. However honor whiffs an attack, and minx ends up on 3. Harmony tries to get the ball, but as soon as she tackles Hearnes counters and knocks her down again. That's it as skatha fast grounds over and puts a full stack into taking her out. 12-6

12-6

Ulfur goal, seenah bear hugs honor and flint in the same activation, skatha gets harmony. 

Honor/harmony kill vhearne, flint scores.

Great casual game, with some fantastic moments (I can just imagine Seenah with Honor on one tusk, and Flint on the other!). My thanks to J to extending the number of countries I've played GB in to 3, and for my first game of the new year. I'm looking to make it a busy GB year with 30-40 games, and I expect I'll play most with my Hunters! So watch this space!