Sign in to follow this  
Hashmal

Fixing Bended Models

I'm interested in painting up the models in the Dark Souls board game, but am concerned that the paint over time won't work well with how bendy some of the models are (spears, swords, etc.). Are there any tips or tricks anyone has for straightening out the bent items and keeping them straight? Perhaps something like using a hair dryer or hot water to bend them, then maybe painting a varnish or something on to set them before priming. I'm not sure, just guessing. Help appreciated!

If you heat bend them straight (dip them in hot water for 10 seconds ish then hold them straight as they cool), they don't usually warp again over time - it's the cooling as they come out the mould that causes the bending, once they're cool they're pretty resilient. So as as long as you use heat to re-shape them, they'll set and stay that way so you can paint them happily.

Varnish is a must to protect the paint from rubbing away, but it's not going to do anything for the model's shape :D

I used a hair dryer to heat up the bent area, then once it was bendy I held it straight/in shape while i put it under cold running water. Havent had any problems using this method, and in fact a couple I did after painting them, and it didnt affect the paint at all. After, I seal it with Army Painter Hardcoat. 

Maybe a dumb analogy, but think of how metal weapons or tools are made...first they heat it up in the forge, shape ot, and then dip it into cold oil or water to set the shape. Called tempering. It actually helps rearrange the molecules in the material. Of course pvc is different from metal, but, same idea.

Just imagine youre Andre and youll do fine ;)

I get two mugs, one of boiled water one of cold water, I dip in the hot, hold straight, dip in the cold, it holds perfectly well. As for paint, if you use acrylic paint it'll flex with the model, you shouldn't get any flaking or peeling, especially if you spray them with a coat of sealant or varnish afterwards.

One of my hollow soldiers came with a slightly warped base so he rocks a bit when you let go of him.  Would the hot water technique work on the base okay?  I don't want to try it in case i make it worse haha!  Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, Starbz said:

One of my hollow soldiers came with a slightly warped base so he rocks a bit when you let go of him.  Would the hot water technique work on the base okay?  I don't want to try it in case i make it worse haha!  Thanks in advance!

It'll work. I had to straighten a couple of mine as well.

What I did was heat it with the hot water, then place it on the counter top and press down firmly on the base with my fingertips so all of the base was in contact with the counter, then a quick dip in cold water. You may have to do it more than once, or hold it a little longer under the hot water since the base is a lot thicker than the bent weapons are.

2 hours ago, Ashraam said:

What I did was heat it with the hot water, then place it on the counter top and press down firmly on the base with my fingertips so all of the base was in contact with the counter, then a quick dip in cold water. You may have to do it more than once, or hold it a little longer under the hot water since the base is a lot thicker than the bent weapons are.

Awesome!  I'll give that a go tonight, thanks very much!!

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Ashraam said:

I did the same, and it did take a couple times for one of the bases. 

My Ornstein's spear came all crazy bent, but just dipping it in the hot water made it uncurl and straighten out. Was neat to watch.

2 hours ago, Visceroth said:

I did the same, and it did take a couple times for one of the bases. 

My Ornstein's spear came all crazy bent, but just dipping it in the hot water made it uncurl and straighten out. Was neat to watch.

Yeah, a lot of times on the thinner stuff the plastic "remembers" its correct shape and just heating it will bring it pretty close to where it should be.