• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
Napoleon

am i the only one whos began to prefer kicking off almost exclusively?

So early on i began to prefer to receive exclusively. But the more ive played ive began to really like the consistency and board control kicking off gives.

It works with both really high quality strikers ( midas shark vitriol) and big melee threats (scalpel, thresher, fillet) and control pieces (corsair obulus ballista)

Most of the time i feel very compensated for giving up the ball, or can threaten to get it back (or atleast stuff the goal run up)

Anyone else feel this way?

I dont know if I prefer to kick. But I definitely am not disappointed over kicking nowadays. Controlling the kick off, drafting second (arguably less important now) and that juicy last activation are all pretty sweet. 

Yes. I chose to receive only once in the last months. I play Engineers and it has been working great for me, though I will choose receiving more often in coming games so that I get used to it. :)

I'm in the same boat. I feel more in control when I don't have to stress myself with how to move around/defend the ball. Kicking is much more straightforward and I think you have a better position in a way that most of the time only your opponent could really screw things up during the opening moves and your task is easier (ie. to react to those mistakes in a timely and proper manner).

I love to receive. The way I look at it is like a free 4" dodge for whoever wants it turn 1.

But I like to kick too. I always aim it in a way to disrupt my opponent the way I like him to be set up.

I think the balance between kicking and receiving is in a sweet spot, at least for me.

It's definitely strestful to protect the ball with the amount of strong kickers. And last activation can be a game changer as well. I'm probably about 50/50 right now on receiving versus kicking.

I usually do the kickoff, but more because of bad luck when it comes to initiative anyway. I usually roll a 2. Can't actually remember the last time I did not roll a two. Maybe a few months ago.  I was forced to do so, but I became better at it, and with Obulus and Scalpel you are actually in a really good position. What that does for me, though, is when I actually CAN receive the ball, I sometimes do it, because my usual opponents are not used to it. :D 

I think I just received de ball in 2 games in the last 5 month because of the dice, but I'm starting to like to kick. I kick with scalpel and most of the times you can set up a kill for turn 2 or even steal the ball and score and leave her behind your mid lane thanks to second wind

Depends on the match up an terrain placement.  I've chosen to kick off based on conveniently placed terrain, especially if my opponent has a strong kicker or I think the draft advantage will make a big difference.

Yeah depends on the Guild I'm playing, but generally yeah I've got so used to practising kicking I'm better at it.

When I'm Brewers I prefer to have the ball first turn, but I think every other guild I play prefers to kick.

Kicking is a negative if you dont know how to put on pressure and mitigate negative play. I like kicking as the guilds I play need the board position and this enables their game.

I tend to prefer receiving but last weekend when I did choose to receive (the 2 times I got to) after scoring my first goal the ball was killed, and made it very hard to get it back.

43 minutes ago, Stubbyholders said:

Kicking is a negative if you dont know how to put on pressure and mitigate negative play. I like kicking as the guilds I play need the board position and this enables their game.

What do you mean by negative play?

Slower teams lose a lot when they don't receive the ball.

Faster teams can afford to kick without putting themselves at much disadvantage, since the trend has generally been faster teams tend to have better kick stats meaning they can guide the ball better and have the speed to capitalize on that placement.

Brewers,Hunters  and Mason's I feel like it's uphill unless I get the ball. Alchemists and Fish I don't care because they trivially get the ball back.

41 minutes ago, Trygle said:

Slower teams lose a lot when they don't receive the ball.

Faster teams can afford to kick without putting themselves at much disadvantage, since the trend has generally been faster teams tend to have better kick stats meaning they can guide the ball better and have the speed to capitalize on that placement.

Brewers,Hunters  and Mason's I feel like it's uphill unless I get the ball. Alchemists and Fish I don't care because they trivially get the ball back.

Aren't masons fairly compensated by getting one model up the board on the kick, and then the double last activaton? or is just a lot of teamwork dodges better for a whole team mobility 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Aren't masons fairly compensated by getting one model up the board on the kick, and then the double last activaton? or is just a lot of teamwork dodges better for a whole team mobility 

Aye, Masons have tons of charming options to put considerable pressure on the receiving team. Flint, Mallett, Harmony and double activation is no joke. All this with the protective umbrella of a CC pair.

7 minutes ago, Csonti said:

Aye, Masons have tons of charming options to put considerable pressure on the receiving team. Flint, Mallett, Harmony and double activation is no joke. All this with the protective umbrella of a CC pair.

The CC pair is a mixed bag, maybe it's because I play Masons but I hardly have that hard of a time stopping it in some form.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Aye. That's right. I forgot about the double activations. I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, Trygle said:

The CC pair is a mixed bag, maybe it's because I play Masons but I hardly have that hard of a time stopping it in some form.

Maybe we are already hijacking the thread with this but I have to add that CC is not about triggering it. Against a good player it almost never happens. However CC still gives you tremendous board control and also eats your opponent's clock since he or she constantly needs to play around it.

In the case of kicking CC is vital to get Harmony in an aggressive position without fear of immediate retaliation (so you will have two excellent, fully loaded ball grabber upfield: one side is covered by Flint who kicked and the other by Harmony who walks/sprints up around 2nd activation). And if she is safely up there you can go with Honour anytime you spot a weakness and thanks to Superior Strategy AND Linked you can send your human missile in right there and then.

I can say that as someone that rarely wins initiative Ive learned to love kicking. In addition as I made the change to Alchemists late S2 I came to understand just how much pressure a good footballer can put on a receiving team. I actually learned that the hard way playing a huge amount of games into Mist w/ Morts last season. I have no problem receiving or kicking but I have no issues choosing which suits me best that game rather than defaulting to receiving all of the time. 

I still generally choose to receive when I can, but the number of guilds that can apply a lot of pressure when kicking off makes it feel like less of an advantage than it has been.  If Shark/Vitriol/Flint/Mist/PV has just kicked off, it can be hard to do anything with the ball without inviting them to steal it.  However, I'd still rather have to dance around carefully with the ball than to not have control over it.

3 hours ago, Csonti said:

Maybe we are already hijacking the thread with this but I have to add that CC is not about triggering it. Against a good player it almost never happens. However CC still gives you tremendous board control and also eats your opponent's clock since he or she constantly needs to play around it.

In the case of kicking CC is vital to get Harmony in an aggressive position without fear of immediate retaliation (so you will have two excellent, fully loaded ball grabber upfield: one side is covered by Flint who kicked and the other by Harmony who walks/sprints up around 2nd activation). And if she is safely up there you can go with Honour anytime you spot a weakness and thanks to Superior Strategy AND Linked you can send your human missile in right there and then.

This is generally my view of CC as well. When you know what it does you never do something foolish like trigger it and get your model's activation lost by a KD or a push out of melee, but at the same time it's limiting what you can and can't do the entire time

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

What do you mean by negative play?

Negative as in ball killing. I find I prefer to kick because it gets all my models more space to work in and put pressure on. If the opponent has a good way of killing the ball, thats the only time I dot like to kick. Examples. if they have UM and I dont have a way to get in on them. Or if they put the ball into a corner with a model that has clone etc.

Kicking all the way.

• 2nd on the picks
  • Choice of table side
  • Dangerous player up the pitch
  • Chance for an end of turn goal with no reprisal with some models (Avarisse and Greede being the main culprits) this is especially good if you can place yourself up on momentum before hand

At my last tournament I lost the roll off more often than not and managed to kick in every game which was nice.