Just looked through the event listings, and all I saw was Demos and Kickoff events. When does Steamforged usually post the tourney and other event info?

36 minutes ago, Isante said:

Not sure they will actually host normal tournaments as Gencon is not the convention people go to for those.

This is incorrect, gencon hosts a variety of large tournaments and national championships for different systems.

They did last year, and I would be surprised if they didn't again.

Just now, Plebian said:

This is incorrect, gencon hosts a variety of large tournaments and national championships for different systems.

They did last year, and I would be surprised if they didn't again.

Not incorrect.  Sure there are some big tournaments there, but most people attending Gencon are not going for miniature games.  And even those who do plan on playing mini game tournaments also get distracted with everything else going on there. 

It would be a huge missed opportunity not to do an event at GenCon. It's one of, if not the biggest gaming conventions in the US and has tons of miniatures tournaments and events. I'll be super disappointed if they're skipping running any tournaments there, especially without giving any advance notice so people could submit their own.

They might not have multiple qualifier tournaments like they did last year, but I'll be surprised  if there isn't some kind of event for existing players. It's great to see they are putting such an emphasis on attracting new players to grow the community, but it would be nice to have a reason besides pick up games to bring my models to gencon this year. 

Also, Gencon is big enough that even though most people don't go for tournaments, there are enough who do go for them that putting one on is probably worth it. Even if only 10% of the people in attendance have interest in tournaments, that's still 6,000 people who are looking to get into events. 

I don't expect something as big as last year due to the lesson they learned about people not wanting to spend the whole con there, but I REALLY hope there's at least one event that comes up. Even a casual format one.

I am new to the game as of the KO release. 

I would love some sort of GB event at Gen Con. I play in major events of some sort every year. It is a reason that I have been for the past 15+ years straight.

It is fun meeting others and geeking out over our hobbies. It is also a way to learn the game and grow it. Keeping this fresh momentum rolling.

I guess SF has to realize that at an event like GenCon the drop rates for all tournies are pretty high... cause there's so much you can do besides playing for nothing. (Which in my book is just fine)

That being said, please still run some! 

5 hours ago, Isante said:

Gencon is not the convention people go to for those.

There are some big tournaments there. 

These are inconsistent statements.

Just now, Plebian said:

These are inconsistent statements.

Not really.  Sure, there are big tournaments at Gencon, but the majority of people going are not going for that reason.

1 hour ago, MandalorynOranj said:

So assuming that Steamforged isn't running anything, would there be strong interest in a GB tournament at GenCon? I'd be willing to run one, but the ball would have to get rolling today.

I did an infinity one in the past where it was too late to be submitted into the general catalogue. However, I made a deal with CB that I would collect generic tickets for them so I could use their tables, they were really great about it. Hopefully SF is as cool.

Just now, Isante said:

Not really.  Sure, there are big tournaments at Gencon, but the majority of people going are not going for that reason.

That isn't what you said.

Just now, Plebian said:

That isn't what you said.

Not incorrect.  Sure there are some big tournaments there, but most people attending Gencon are not going for miniature games.  And even those who do plan on playing mini game tournaments also get distracted with everything else going on there. 

What are you talking about lol

Not sure they will actually host normal tournaments as Gencon is not the convention people go to for those.

As a brief search of the gencon catalogue for the keyword "tournament" yields 100s of results, clearly there are in fact many, many people who are interested in tournament play at gencon, and therefore that is part of the reason they are going there. 

Saying Steamforged should not hold a tournament at Gencon due to lack of interest in tournaments at Gencon is incorrect, though there may be a lack of interest in a Guild Ball tournament specifically, which SF would know better than I.

Lots of companies - big tournament organising minis companies - are apparently sll dropping out of Gencon.

CMoN. Privateer. Steamforged.

Almost nothing for any of them.

Either that or there ate a LOT of things not in the sysyem yet. FB says Pathfinder society isn't in yet either.

We need patience.

Just now, Thadrin said:

Lots of companies - big tournament organising minis companies - are apparently sll dropping out of Gencon.

Either that or there ate a LOT of things not in the sysyem yet. FB says Pathfinder society isn't in yet either.

I don't think a lot of stuff has been finalised yet - event registration opens in 3 weeks ish doesn't it?

After that point it's a bit more uncertain, but as yet I wouldn't worry. I have friends in a couple of companies and I don't think any of them have set everything in stone yet.

4 hours ago, Thadrin said:

We need patience.

The tricky thing about patience is that I still have other events I want to go to, and not knowing if and when a GB tourney might happen makes it really hard to plan the rest of the con.

Agreed. This will be my 6th Gencon.

I have loads of things I want to fit in including Guildball and I just started trying to coordinate stuff with friends who'll be doing their own things too. Having two big companies missing (I want to try some Dark age too) events is a massive PITA.

16 hours ago, Thadrin said:

We need patience.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen a CmoN tournament, and Warmachine has tanked with the new edition so i wouldn't be surprised if they seriously cut back. Templecon WM was much smaller this year for example.

Lots of tournaments are up, the FFG ones (X Wing and Armada), Infinity, Malifaux, etc.

If not a tournament, maybe we can coordinate a space and time(s) for pick-up games. I'm pretty new to the game and having trouble finding players in my area, so I'd love to get some games in with my Butchers while at GenCon.

2 hours ago, BadDadMo said:

If not a tournament, maybe we can coordinate a space and time(s) for pick-up games. I'm pretty new to the game and having trouble finding players in my area, so I'd love to get some games in with my Butchers while at GenCon.

For sure, whatever else happens I'll be playing pick up games!

Any more word on this? Event reg is only a week away and there are still only demos available. No events at the gencon 50th anniversary would make me extremely dissapointed in SFG.