Sign in to follow this  
Taitu

Starting Placement of Aggro Token

Hey, my friends and I played for the first time last night and perhaps we misunderstood who the aggro token was to go to.  We assumed that we gave the first activation token and aggro token to the same person.  Obviously this was incorrect, because the first player ended up getting destroyed in two rounds and we wasted a spark.  Reading the book again I'm not sure if we can give the aggro token to any player we choose, or if we're supposed to give it to the next person counter clockwise to the player that will be going first.

Quick How-To

Starting an Encounter

1. Enter a tile with face-down encounter card through one of the doorways adjacent to the bonfire tile or any tile with already face-up encounter card (basically one you have defeated already).
  2. Look at the encounter card and place enemies, terrain, and traps as displayed
  3. Place character models on the entry nodes beside the door aligned with the tile the party moved from. Remember that a node cannot contain more than three models. (Entry nodes are all basic nodes - yellow circle- that are adjacent to the doorways)
  4. Choose player who will have Aggro during the enemies first activation
  5. Activate all enemies
  6. If the very first encounter, choose player who will activate first, otherwise the first character to activate is the character who would have activated next in turn order when the previous encounter ended. (For clarity, give the "First Activation token" to the player who is next in turn order)
  7. Activate all enemies
  8. Character to activate is the next clockwise around the table.
  9. Repeat 7-8 until party (one character died) or encounter (all enemies died) has been defeated!

Ah, so it's not just for the very first turn of the game, at the start of ANY encounter you can choose who starts with the aggro token, is this correct?  For all following encounters we just thought the token stayed with the last person to move similar to the first activation token goes to the person that would have gone next.

22 minutes ago, Taitu said:

Ah, so it's not just for the very first turn of the game, at the start of ANY encounter you can choose who starts with the aggro token, is this correct?  For all following encounters we just thought the token stayed with the last person to move similar to the first activation token goes to the person that would have gone next.

First time, you choose.

After that, the last player who activated keeps the aggro token. And the one who would've activated next gets the first activation token.

6 minutes ago, Ragnara said:

First time, you choose.

After that, the last player who activated keeps the aggro token. And the one who would've activated next gets the first activation token.

Actually, as I understand it you choose who starts EACH encounter with Aggro.

You're correct about First Activation.

It's as summary says. The beginning of very first encounter you choose "First Activation", after that it just keeps going clockwise, throughout encounters.

At beginning of every encounter you choose "Aggro".

4 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

Actually, as I understand it you choose who starts EACH encounter with Aggro.

You're correct about First Activation.

Hm. Hmm. Hmmmmm.

You might be onto something there.

Though that does make the game a tad easier again.

7 hours ago, Ragnara said:

Hm. Hmm. Hmmmmm.

You might be onto something there.

Though that does make the game a tad easier again.

Replect is correct in this instance, First Activation token is decided at the start of the first encounter then moves to the next player in line at the start of the next encounter. The aggro token goes to whoever chooses to take it at the start of each encounter (independently of the first activation token) and then rotates to whoever activated last.

I think the rulebook states something like 'Give the aggro token to whoever you want, as it's like denoting who went through the door first" i.e. who get's their attention.

3 hours ago, Soul said:

I think the rulebook states something like 'Give the aggro token to whoever you want, as it's like denoting who went through the door first" i.e. who get's their attention.

Yep. Also note that if you just gave aggro to the first player each time it would mean they would have to survive being the primary target through two enemy activations.

1. Enemies activate, likely targeting the aggro player.

2. Player 1 (the aggro player) activates. Player 1 receives the aggro token. (Again)

3. Enemies activate, likely targeting the aggro player.