Sign in to follow this  
Soul

Returning to bonfire between encounters

Am I right in thinking that you can return to the bonfire after every encounter to spend the souls from that encounter?

If that's the case why would ever NOT do that? We played 4 player tonight for the first time and pretty much after every encounter we returned to the bonfire to upgrade and buy treasure. That way if we died we'd have no souls to leave somewhere.

I mean, that's a part of dark souls as well, you can spend all (or most) of your souls before an encounter. But if you're holding out for tier 3 levels, which is 8 souls a pop, and you die with 6, you'll have to get them back.

For example, you're playing solo as a assassin. You want the shadow armour, but you need 34 dex. The Assassin needs tier 3 dex and tier 2 faith (I think?) to equip it. All your stats are tier 2 but you have 6 souls left. You don't want anymore loot for now, so you go to the final encounter before the main boss. Unfortunately, you die, so you'll have to treck all the way back through at least 2 other encounters before you get your souls back. If you do, congrats and enjoy the armour. If you don't, you'll be starting all over again from 0 souls.

In a 4 player game, you'll be getting a bunch of souls, yes, but you'll have to distribute them effectively otherwise you get characters who are lacklustre when it comes to level 2 and 3 encounters. That said, if you manage to strike some good loot and level accordingly, you're in the money (Or souls, I guess.)

Yeah, honestly, some situations are unlikely to ever happen, but I think you kinda just learnt from the video game that, rather than hording a bunch of souls and risk losing them for the sake of a big level up, it's better to just spend what you can on smaller level ups and equipment upgrades. :)

But you have to pay one spark every time you rest, right? So you might not wanna do it, if for example you think you might need another one when you die during the boss fight and want another try after that.

2 minutes ago, Katsumi said:

But you have to pay one spark every time you rest, right? So you might not wanna do it, if for example you think you might need another one when you die during the boss fight and want another try after that.

You only pay a spark to rest - to flip luck/estus etc over which also resets the encounters. You don't have to pay a spark to go back to the bonfire to spend the souls.

Something else to this is that in 3-4 player games, if you are confident, doing multiple encounters before spending can be very rewarding.  When you start flipping equipment, and you find a piece you want, you then can allocate the souls to equip it.  This allows for reactions to gained equipment to equip it then and there, as opposed to having to get more souls just to equip it.

3 hours ago, KaiinRetsu said:

Something else to this is that in 3-4 player games, if you are confident, doing multiple encounters before spending can be very rewarding.  When you start flipping equipment, and you find a piece you want, you then can allocate the souls to equip it.  This allows for reactions to gained equipment to equip it then and there, as opposed to having to get more souls just to equip it.

This as well. If you manage to save, like, 32 souls before a mini boss, with three players you can, theoretically, pull 8 times and have enough for at least 4 level ups for every player (I.e. everyone gets to tier 1 in their stats.) Now that's just in a general case, but let's use the shadow armour again. You have 24 souls left, you have enough faith, but your dex is tier 1. Even if you spend the 12 souls to hit tier 3, you'll have plenty left to do stuff with.

Things like this are why I love this game. Even going through the motions of turns, it still feels fun. It's in your face from the beginning and it forces you to think like a team. So many times has the Knight blocked damage or the Assassin dodging damage just to save another player, or a clutch Herald talisman restoring 6 stamina, ensuring the character survives next turn. Best board game ever for me.