CurlyPaul

Who's your 10th?

So we now have an extra slot to play with and that means we all have to decide who to put in that slot.

I play double Captain as I think the Brewers did well under the old OPD as I could switch Captains at the last moment and have a reasonable team. I think I'm going to keep it this way as there are certain match ups that still require it.

For my final spot the choice is between Mash, Quaff, vet Spigot and Stave. Mash is currently my favourite choice but I will be giving vet Spigot another trial to see if he can make the team.

How about you guys?

vSpigs got my last spot over the puppy, just because I have a huge gimmick I'd like to try out.. Mash has been in my core 6/9 (now 10) since he came out.. 

I've generally had Mash in my 9, just for 2'' melee UM.  I'll probably add the cat.  I might play some Spigot2 but the 10 doesn't matter too much since I'm not taking Brewers to a tournament anyways.

Mainly, Stave still isn't coming.

I dont understand the hate for stave in the nine now ten. 

Having him in your tool box is such a strong option. Sure he doesn't come out against alchemists and engineers. 

But I will take him all day long in Butchers mason's and fish. His disruptive ability off sets potential downsides. 

@polluxx66 that's the kind of talk that gets people all wound up around here! Seriously though, he has game against Shark Fish definitely, and I can see where he'd be useful against Masons and Butchers. Mirror matches he could be useful as well, low def and bunching together and everything. 

I played Mash a lot in season 2, especially if I played Esters, but when the rosters changed to 2 captain and Pintpot came out I just couldn't quite squeeze him in. He's definitely coming on Saturday if only because he's painted and vet Spigs ain't. 

He's a 2/0 with no defensive tech except a KD on column 1 that he'll never use because it's nearly impossible to not knock him down.  KD on column 5?  No worries.  He's DEF2/0.  

His best ability is the lob barrel, but it's 2 INF down the drain with no return when he misses, and it turns out, he misses a lot.  On the days he doesn't miss, it doesn't matter because the second the enemy gets into him, the momentum race is over. Corsair Fish are the only matchup I'm really interested in having him for, and I deal with them just fine without him.  By bringing Stave, there's other players that have so many more abilities that I could be bringing that Stave is unjustifiable and I don't understand why SFG left him at 2/0.  Even Wendle has the anti-momentum tech, but Stave?  Nah.  Screw that guy.

25 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

Mainly, Stave still isn't coming.

True enough.. 

11 minutes ago, polluxx66 said:

Personally, it's because I know I would never put him on the pitch so he'd be a waste of a player spot.. 

2 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

Corsair Fish are the only matchup I'm really interested in having him for, and I deal with them just fine without him.  

I pretty much agree with everything you said barring that point.. I have a friend who plays almost exclusively Corsair Fish and he loves when Stave gets put on the pitch as it allows him to trigger all his playbook abilities like Drag and Dread Gaze for free.. 

23 minutes ago, polluxx66 said:

Having him in your tool box is such a strong option. Sure he doesn't come out against alchemists and engineers. 

But I will take him all day long in Butchers mason's and fish. His disruptive ability off sets potential downsides. 

I find it strange you like him versus Butchers. I main butchers and love to see Stave on the other side of the table. It's fairly easy to make sure he can only hit one model and plenty of the butchers are fast so it's pretty hard to hide him.

1 minute ago, Redmaw said:

I pretty much agree with everything you said barring that point.. I have a friend who plays almost exclusively Corsair Fish and he loves when Stave gets put on the pitch as it allows him to trigger all his playbook abilities like Drag and Dread Gaze for free.. 

Maybe it was just the guy I was playing.  Kracken and Corsair had extremely hard times getting within range of him since Esters was bombing them with rough ground and fire, and then when they did move up, Stave was doing a halfway decent job knocking them back into it, or bringing the one I wanted forward to be killed.  That's what I don't understand anytime someone says they're good against Shark though.  Shark's team is mostly DEF 4 or 5.  Jac? I get to hit Jac reliably?  That's it?  And when Shark gets to Stave, which he will, from forever away, you might as well go ahead and reset your MOM counter to 1 because you're losing initiative this turn.

4 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

Kracken and Corsair had extremely hard times getting within range of him since Esters was bombing them with rough ground and fire, 

I understand why Kracken would initially have a problem but Corsair ignores the knock down from the barrel and if he's been hit by it he will be in range for Drag even if he's on fire.. 

But this is swiftly becoming another "why Stave is bad" topic so let's just agree to accept that and get back to talking about the ten players we care about.. 

5 hours ago, Dracilic said:

I find it strange you like him versus Butchers. I main butchers and love to see Stave on the other side of the table. It's fairly easy to make sure he can only hit one model and plenty of the butchers are fast so it's pretty hard to hide him.

He is usually palling around with Hooper and Tapper so I try to keep him To least crowded out.  I try to pull someone in with the barrell lob and erase them.   If you get the push away and towards you hooper and tapper they can isolate and take out. 

Just the threat of him on the roster can affect choices. 

My new 10 will be:

Tapper, Esters, Scum, Spigot, Stoker, Hooper, Friday, Pint Pot, Mash, Stave

Esters is actually the one I've added to the 10, Stave was there first! I rarely use Stave but I've found he's useful against Fish with Barrel Lob - the fact that he's DEF 2/0 doesn't mean much against them - they usually go for the lower MOM results anyway which they'd get from any of the other players and they sure as hell aren't going to kill him (I hope). Old Jakes also helps with his lack of INF so I find he works better with Tapper than Esters - even if she can make him faster.

I used Quaff and Esters a lot in S2 and the start of S3 but quickly found Tapper & Scum was just better for the way I play. I've put Esters back in mostly so the opponent won't instantly know who is going to be in the simultaneous Captain reveal.

vSpigot didn't make the cut as I've never really got him to work for me but I'm always willing to try him out.

vSpigot is a great player. The only problem is he's called Spigot ;) I would love to play oSpigot with vSpigot in place of friday, but I can't imagine playing without oSpigot.

I am branching into union for season 3. 

Tapper, Esters, Scum, Friday, Hooper, Mash, Pint pot, oSpigot, Stoker, Avarisse and Greede

I have been using them in my Engineers to great effect and want to see what they do for the Brewers. I am looking at testing a Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Mash, Pint pot, A+G in the next week. 

1 hour ago, Jhokalups said:

I am branching into union for season 3. 

Tapper, Esters, Scum, Friday, Hooper, Mash, Pint pot, oSpigot, Stoker, Avarisse and Greede

I have been using them in my Engineers to great effect and want to see what they do for the Brewers. I am looking at testing a Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Mash, Pint pot, A+G in the next week. 

They are golden in Brewers, even if their goal run is prevented, Singled Out is just ridiculous for the Drunks. All of them get cranked up to 11, although Pintpot really thanks you for it. 

I'm currently still taking Harry, but only because AnG aren't painted. Wanted to do a nice job on them and they've turned into a massive time sink!

avarisse & greed are so good in brewers.  I try to get them to launch greed to attack someone and get two momentum right away. it helps set up a sweet first turn with times called getting everyone up the field and you can put ol jake's out there too.  just so helpful.

1 hour ago, kegslayer13 said:

avarisse & greed are so good in brewers.  I try to get them to launch greed to attack someone and get two momentum right away. it helps set up a sweet first turn with times called getting everyone up the field and you can put ol jake's out there too.  just so helpful.

That is genius! Why the heck did I never think of that! So much less fuss than launching Scum. I'm stealing this one :)

For the second half of our big league (tournament style) it will be:

Tapper, Esters, Scum, Hooper, Friday, Pint Pot, Spigot, Mash, Stoker and A&G

I added Tapper, because i miss him so much and swapped Quaff/Scum and Harry/A&G

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Tapper, Esters, Scum, Hooper, Friday, Pint Pot, Spigot, Mash, Friday and A&G

2 Fridays. ;)