Sign in to follow this  
Ruffy

Engineers Mirror

Our local meta is not big and I'm pretty much the only active Engineers player, so I have never played the mirror match before. How do you like to approach this generally with both players having a double-captain roster?

- The kicking player often wants to be Ballista, since he gets more work done without the ball - if there is fast ground or a good space to kick off into, though, Pin Vice can also threaten a large area of the pitch. She's unlikely to be able to get Overclocked up before going in, though, so not much chance of getting a oneshot off.

- Snapback goals are a very real threat. Scoring at the wrong time can result in a pretty big disadvantage.

- Harry/A&G and Ratchet are important models for setting the captain up to get takeouts, or bringing momentous damage themselves. A team with neither will probably need to aim for three goals - a team with both will have a pretty major advantage in a midfield brawl (but has less footballers and less Mechanica for Pin Vice).

- Velocity is pretty hard to get the ball off. A Nimble Velocity in cover with the ball is probably the best option a combat-heavy team has to keep goals from happening for a while until they have accrued a few VPs from takeouts. Deadbolt won't take the ball, Velocity only has three dice and Hoist has four, which means getting a six for a tackle twice in a row is probably going to cost a lot of influence.

Personally, I always play Pin Vice. When playing against Balista, Hoist is your man for the kick-off and/or the receiving first turn goal threat! Then let the rest of the Mechanica do their jobs to get the ball back and score again. I steer clear of the scrum in the middle, if I have to throw someone in there it will probably be Hoist and Locus. Against another engineers team I am playing for three goals, so be sure to score the first goal and you should be alright.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:22 AM, Gauntlet said:

Velocity is pretty hard to get the ball off. A Nimble Velocity in cover with the ball is probably the best option a combat-heavy team has to keep goals from happening for a while until they have accrued a few VPs from takeouts. Deadbolt won't take the ball, Velocity only has three dice and Hoist has four, which means getting a six for a tackle twice in a row is probably going to cost a lot of influence.

Also, this is great advice, but also is a thing you have to be aware of if your opponent tries to kill the ball. This is where Colossus and Locus come in. Low Kd's and big bases strip balls and become great scatter receivers. Locus is obviously the better option here as he can Remote Control a ball, but colossus's 2in ball snap is really nice as well.

My six: Pin Vice, Mother, Hoist, Locus, Colossus, and Velocity/Rage (I love Rage on the engineers because his inf to Mom. conversion is unmatched and he brings in some damage when it's really needed. Unpopular choice, but if you've never tried him give him a whirl)

I too am the only regular Engineers player in my shop (the pundit has Engineers, but he owns almost every model in the game).  It makes me nervous that I am not doing it right.  A good Engineer player to smack me around and show me how they work might be nice.

15 hours ago, Seacitygamer said:

a thing you have to be aware of if your opponent tries to kill the ball. This is where Colossus and Locus come in. Low Kd's and big bases strip balls and become great scatter receivers. Locus is obviously the better option here as he can Remote Control a ball, but colossus's 2in ball snap is really nice as well.

Locus is better at getting the ball off an enemy, but he's also a lot worse at actually reaching his target in the first place. Colossus has a 10" charge threat, Locus needs to hit with a risky Destructive Impulse to threaten more than 7".