• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
TwistedCarnage

How are People Liking it so far

1 minute ago, squirtis said:

yea i dont understand the point of the barrels, really. they dont stop ranged LoS or do anything at all... and they are just auto destroyed by players who move on to the node, right? there's no extra stamina penalty if i remember right

they block enemies i think. at least that's how we've been playing it

3 minutes ago, calisk said:

they block enemies i think. at least that's how we've been playing it

The do block movement on a node, but don't stop ranged attacks. It costs one stamina to move onto a node with a barrel, can't dodge into barrel or be pushed into barrel. Typically, they don't really get in the way from my experience.

Just now, Joplick said:

The do block movement on a node, but don't stop ranged attacks. It costs one stamina to move onto a node with a barrel, can't dodge into barrel or be pushed into barrel. Typically, they don't really get in the way from my experience.

silve knights not really but we've danced around them to kill the large axe units frequently, and on cetrain tiles they've gotten in the way of the sentinels a bit.

I finally played a solo game Friday night, using the Assassin. Spent all 5 sparks attempting to get to/defeat the Winged Knight but never beat him. It took about 2.5 hours total.

I did start skipping the level 1 encounters after the third run, since there was about a .00001% chance of losing during those. One of the level 2 encounters was fairly challenging though, with 3 Silver Knight Swordsmen and a Silver Knight Greatbow. This one killed me twice.

The Winged Knight fight never went well for me at all. The first match I survived through his behavior deck 4 or 5 times, but I could barely damage him at all. I was rolling 4 Dodge dice, but many attacks never got through his block, or only did 1 or 2 damage. I finally made it to his heat-up phase but died on the next card anyway.

The other two attempts I tried various pieces of equipment, but never got him below 11 health. I found that if I did enough damage to get through his Block it left me without enough dodge to survive long.

My only treasure deck manipulation was to build the deck as normal, then I took about the top 1/3rd and shuffled my common class loot into that section a few times before replacing it back on the top of the deck. I did also get lucky in that 3 of my 4 encounters had treasures. There seemed to be an okay mix of things I could use and things I couldn't, so it didn't feel OP in the least.

All in all, I had quite a bit of fun. I think I'll try the Knight next time, to see how well Blocking works. Then I'll probably try some runs with two characters. Hopefully I'll get my gaming group together for a game soon as well. I can't wait for the additional content!  :)

22 hours ago, Ashraam said:

I finally played a solo game Friday night, using the Assassin. Spent all 5 sparks attempting to get to/defeat the Winged Knight but never beat him. It took about 2.5 hours total.

I did start skipping the level 1 encounters after the third run, since there was about a .00001% chance of losing during those. One of the level 2 encounters was fairly challenging though, with 3 Silver Knight Swordsmen and a Silver Knight Greatbow. This one killed me twice.

I created a house rule for my solo DS1: The First Journey campaign that I've really enjoyed through the first two mini-boss runs. I refer to it as "aggro grunts." I track "party level" as the number of times I've upgraded attributes. In a solo game, grunts become aggro once your party level reaches or exceeds their threat level. Once grunts become aggro, they gain the repeat ability--i.e., they perform their behaviors twice per activation. They also activate before non-aggro grunts. 

It's a simple rule that adds a lot of fun, challenge, and variation to encounters that otherwise grow stagnant after a while. For example, after defeating the two gargoyles with my herald, I almost got myself killed in the first Tier 1 encounter of the Titanite Demon map, which would never happen under the standard rules. Ranged units quickly become more deadly. As you continue to power up, those slow and easy-to-kite hollow and large hollow soldiers start chasing you instead of plodding around hopelessly. In my opinion, it works very well with Tier 1 and Tier 2 encounters--they are definitely more difficult and you'll die more often, but they aren't unfair. I think it's more fun. I haven't begun the O&S phase of the campaign, so I can't say how well it will work with the Tier 3 encounters yet.

Side note #1: I use all the standard soul rewards as stated in the rulebook. I find that, once the T1 and T2 encounters become more exciting, the "grind" no longer feels like a grind. I enjoy resetting the bonfire and farming more souls, because the encounters evolve and increase in difficulty. I'm no longer just trying to rush through them.

Side note #2: To scale for multiplayer, the grunt threat level would have to be multiplied by the number of PCs. For example, in a solo game, the hollow crossbowmen become aggro at party level two. But in a 3-player game, they would become aggro at party level six. I suspect this would still work well, but I haven't tested it, as all my games have been solo. (My wife doesn't show much interest in playing the game...)

12 hours ago, The Bruce said:

I created a house rule for my solo DS1: The First Journey campaign that I've really enjoyed through the first two mini-boss runs. I refer to it as "aggro grunts." I track "party level" as the number of times I've upgraded attributes. In a solo game, grunts become aggro once your party level reaches or exceeds their threat level. Once grunts become aggro, they gain the repeat ability--i.e., they perform their behaviors twice per activation. They also activate before non-aggro grunts. 

It's a simple rule that adds a lot of fun, challenge, and variation to encounters that otherwise grow stagnant after a while.

That's a very interesting idea!