Sign in to follow this  
Flamehearted

Refresh after killing mini boss ?

45 minutes ago, Flamehearted said:

Do you get a free refresh after defeating a (mini) boss ? I assume not as the rules don't mention it. 

You do, actually.

Per Page 9, after defeating a mini-boss, you perform Setup Step 1, which is laying out the tiles around the Bonfire. Then Step 2, which resets your Sparks to the max per party size.

Then, on Page 15 under Resting at a Bonfire, it states you get a free Rest (no Spark cost) after defeating a mini-boss.

5 minutes ago, Flamehearted said:

Ha - thanks - quite why there are 6 pages between these two rules is a mystery :)

Yeah, I think that's going to be the biggest complaint about the rule book. The way it's laid out makes it hard to find answers to specific questions because rules aren't always grouped together logically.

44 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

Yeah, I think that's going to be the biggest complaint about the rule book. The way it's laid out makes it hard to find answers to specific questions because rules aren't always grouped together logically.

The problem is that with a few exceptions (like set up), things don't always happen in the same order and don't have the same logical progression for everyone. This particular part of the rules could have been on p. 9 (Setup After the Mini Boss), p. 15 (Resting at the Bonfire), or p. 28 (Ending a Boss Encounter). And if you asked 3 people which place they'd look for it, you might get 3 different answers.

You could also put it everywhere, but then the rulebook gets bloated and can be more confusing than helpful, especially if there are minor differences in wording that make people think there are conflicting rules.

Anyway, we blind tested the rulebook in a number of different configurations and over multiple revisions. This one was the best-received by far, but I think a truly "perfect" rulebook will be hard to find for a game with any significant complexity. But we're happy to help with questions, and we're also starting to see the growth of a really good community, including folks like yourself @Ashraam, who have a solid understanding of the rules and are willing to help out with those questions.

@DC

Please don't take my comment as a knock against the team at SFG. I understand that a game this complex is hard to write an instruction set for that everyone will use and understand equally. If the rulebook were comprehensive enough to have all rules grouped together where appropriate it would likely be double its current size.

I just meant that the most common kinds of questions I'm seeing from people are things that they might only pick up on multiple readings of the book, and if they're looking for a quick answer they might miss something. This thread being the perfect example.

Honestly, other than reading the book about five times (as I have, because I want to jump right into the game when I get it!), I find the PDF rules a great resource because I can word-search for keywords to find relevant rules.  :)

Hah. You and me both. I reference that PDF incessantly as we work on future game content. Need to make sure the language syncs up properly, after all.

And no worries. I didn't take offense at all. I just thought some might appreciate me sharing a little bit about the process. -_-