Sorry, I'm not the best at getting my head round rules, this may be a basic question but hope you can help.

If an enemy is on the same node as a player and the card says target nearest player, would it just push the player away and then not move. Or would it push and then move its limit pushing each movement value?

I guess if it is target player with aggro and a non aggro player is on same node it would push it away and then move towards aggro player and then push that player (if it reaches it).

If there was no push on the movement and it had a player on the same node (non aggro) providing its movement is just to the nearest player (not to aggro player) it would just stay where it was. Same if aggro player was on same node and movement was non push towards aggro player.

then any attacks would take place?

cheers

The learning curve is mostly in the icons.

If a move icon has "push" and "nearest" like the Sentinel, then it goes like this:

1. determine the "nearest" character (who the Sentinel will try to attack)
  2. push characters off the Sentinel's node (if applicable)
  3. move the Sentinel onto a node closer to the character from step 1
  4. push characters off of that node (if applicable)
  5. Sentinel tries to attack the character from step 1

The Sentinel's attack has a range of 1 node and will hit all characters on the node containing his victim. The Sentinel's a big guy and will often have a very dynamic activation.

The chump Hollow Soldiers are much less complex in their movement since their move does not have a Push. A Hollow Soldier will just stop when he reaches the dude he's trying to kill. He won't even wind up moving at all if there's a character on his node.

(And unless we messed up, an enemy should never have a Push move before they have an attack icon if they have a range 0 weapon.)

@DC on this subject. For the large hollow soldier we've been playing it so that if you're at zero range, it pushes out for 5 damage, then moves into the nearest character and pushes for a further 5 damage. Is this correct?

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

@DC on this subject. For the large hollow soldier we've been playing it so that if you're at zero range, it pushes out for 5 damage, then moves into the nearest character and pushes for a further 5 damage. Is this correct?

No - the first push doesn't deal damage. 

Where on page 25 does it say that first push doesn't deal damage?

It only says that the attack (called "Movement Attack) does not target the character in the initial node. So no target means no push, and not push but no damage.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:47 PM, ltbeland said:

Where on page 25 does it say that first push doesn't deal damage?

It only says that the attack (called "Movement Attack) does not target the character in the initial node. So no target means no push, and not push but no damage.

I don't have the book in front of me to answer about that specific page.

However, when a monster with Push Movement activates, the first thing that happens is all Players are pushed off of its node. This isn't the Move Attack, since the monster hasn't moved yet. It's just an aspect of Push Movement that must be resolved. 

The Movement Attack only deals damage when the monster ENTERS a node with a player in it.

Read through the FAQ again, as well as the book. Still a little unclear...

So, I’m just doing a solo with a Knight. I’m fighting a Large Hollow. The Large Hollow activates. Is the following the correct order of operations?

-The Knight is pushed off the node where both she and Large Hollow are, taking no damage.

-Large Hollow moves into node with Knight.

-Large Hollow targets Knight.

-Knight is pushed to adjacent node, and rolls to Block.

That's how I play it !

Oh and before someone chirps up saying the hollow knight's same space push should caused damage :)

Q An enemy’s movement has a push and causes damage. If I’m on the same node as the enemy, am I attacked before it even moves?

A No. Movement that includes a push attack only ‘targets all characters on each node the enemy moves into’, per p. 25. The damage does not begin until the enemy starts trampling forwards over its hapless victims.