• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
DarthFacemo

Is this Arrogance and Ignorance by Steamforged normal?

Yes, I am wondering if the behavior they present could be seen as normal in these days and for a small company and I just exaggerate?

Personally, I vehemently condemn Steamforged and their non-existent communication.

No answer on eMails days ago.... no reaction to a TON of critical questions in the kickstarter section, as well in the forum... delayed shipping without further explanation or information (for example the obvious NEED of an update after their last mystical announcement on Thursday of a "test-shipping". But, of course, even today no word what´ s going on...)....

Yes, folks, I am really, really pissed.

Some people may say "first world problem", and yes, that's it, but I really don ´ t care, as this is a forum about this Game, so i talk about the game.

Again, I ask: is this normal, is this pure "abstinence" of Steamforged something normal in these days? Or am I right and we experience an insolence barely unbeatable?

Sorry for my bad English. I hope I could make me understandable..

Yes steamforged is quiet lately, but they're mind numbingly busy managing the roll-out of hundreds of thousands of copies of the game in dozens of countries, through dozens of companies, and hundreds of staff. It's a difficult job, it takes time. 

And as you said yourself, they're a small company, they don't have the financial resources or manpower of a company like amazon and if they did they wouldn't be able to pay them. We just have to wait a few days/weeks, give them a chance. 

I think you're looking at them in the wrong light and it seems to be a little bit more critical than it should be. The company, like you said is small, they are currently managing another game at the same time and working on a convention happening sometime in the future. I think they have a lack of communication due to this sheer workload and I think their communication will pick up again in no time. Yes it really sucks, I completely agree with you, but I think for what it's worth, Steamforged is doing a fairly good job. Once shipping finishes for retailers and backers they should be much more available.

@DarthFacemo Hey you. Stay calm and listen to the one who wrote before I did. Over a half year passed now and there was not a single one giving a f... on the exact date the game would arrive. The Forum here was still quiet. Now Steamforged-Games announced the date and the world goes crazy. Next time they should send out the game as a surprise and everyone would be happy about holding the game in their hands unexpected.

I think it is you who should think about arrogance. There are people out there which already play the game. You where not the lucky one who got it first. Me neither. And that only because our parents didn't gave us the name Aadrian Aashberg (you can call yourself lucky they haven't. The name is terrifying. [Sorry if there is an Aadrian Aashberg reading this ;)]) So you are not the blackspot all this project is circling around. If you get that you are for sure not arrogant.

Greetings,

One guy waiting for his game in exited, torturing joyment.

Okay, i see, so I try to calm myself and stay patient. Even if I know that they COULD spend some minutes to write a little, short update concerning the result of their test-shipping. Obviously something went wrong, so they KNOW that everybody expect a little explanation.

But, yes, your ´ re right. I will practice in patience.

13 minutes ago, Rohfleisch said:

@DarthFacemo Hey you. Stay calm and listen to the one who wrote before I did. Over a half year passed now and there was not a single one giving a f... on the exact date the game would arrive. The Forum here was still quiet. Now Steamforged-Games announced the date and the world goes crazy. Next time they should send out the game as a surprise and everyone would be happy about holding the game in their hands unexpected.

I think it is you who should think about arrogance. There are people out there which already play the game. You where not the lucky one who got it first. Me neither. And that only because our parents didn't gave us the name Aadrian Aashberg (you can call yourself lucky they haven't. The name is terrifying. [Sorry if there is an Aadrian Aashberg reading this ;)]) So you are not the blackspot all this project is circling around. If you get that you are for sure not arrogant.

Greetings,

One guy waiting for his game in exited, torturing joyment.

I'll have you know that my username is short for Aadrian Aashberg, and I'll not have you slandering it on these forums!   :angry:

Okay, so maybe that's not true, but I couldn't resist the opportunity.  :lol:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down a little. I don't have my game either and I'm going a little Hollow inside watching all the boxes being opened like Christmas on Facebook, but I'd just like to ask everyone to be patient a little while longer! SFG is a small crew and they're trying to manage the biggest board game project that ever launched in UK Kickstarter. Communication could be better, I think we all agree on that, but I've also seen far worse from far larger game companies.  :)

I'm not involved in the dark souls Kickstarter in any way, but I have helped out with one in the past for a different company. 

It's kind of hard to picture the hellish chaos that something even half this successful causes - it's a soul destroying grind where you need to be hugely lucky just to find out what went wrong and know how long it will take to fix, never mind avoiding the problems in the first place (which I don't think is possible...).

It's hard to be stuck on the outside unable to figure out what's going on (I get jumpy on every Kickstarter I back once the fulfilment starts), but as someone that got to experience the inside I think I'd rather be outside and confused instead of facing that again!

It's always a shame when communication slips, but you can at least be sure they're suffering through it all ;)

I posted this question in the Kickstarter comments a while ago and never got an answer from SFG, I'm assuming it got lost in the cascade of questions and complaints, but I figure I might as well ask it here: will the Core Box come prepackaged with a baby bib and rattle, or is that a Wave 2 thing?

16 minutes ago, scifidownbeat said:

I posted this question in the Kickstarter comments a while ago and never got an answer from SFG, I'm assuming it got lost in the cascade of questions and complaints, but I figure I might as well ask it here: will the Core Box come prepackaged with a baby bib and rattle, or is that a Wave 2 thing?

Can't tell if memeing or not, but that comes out on the second Tuesday of next week ;)

Just now, ricoratso said:

Can't tell if memeing or not, but that comes out on the second Tuesday of next week ;)

Really I was expecting Mat Hart and Rich Loxam to personally hand-deliver the Core Box + bib + rattle on a gold-embroidered white pillow to my front door, but the lack of response to my repeated emails says it all. <_< It's disgusting to think that a small board game outfit across the pond isn't catering to my needlessly urgent and highly specific needs!

[/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Leading up to the release of the game from around early March i've messaged steamforged via Facebook messenger. They have always replied to my messages and given me information on the current situation and have gave me sufficient information on what they could give at that time. Yes the game was scheduled for release last month for backers but as with anything complications arise. 1 month later the game is rolling out around the world. People started receiving their games last week. And i'm still waiting for mine (thankfully I received notice it's enroute :D ). As mentioned  by others above they also have other games and projects happening so juggling everything in this whirlwind of activity they have going on is going to limit what and how frequent they can give out info pertaining to dark souls shipping etc. 

In the campaign they scheduled the roll-out for April, and mentioned in an update that the roll-out could possibly start in March if everything went smoothly. Things didn't go quite smoothly and they started distributing in April. So as far as I'm concerned SFG held up their end of the bargain and kept to their original schedule, which in the context of Kickstarters in general is almost a miracle.

I see (understand) all your informations and share them now as well. Being no longer on the dark side of the Force but instead having turned to be patient.

I only want to emphasize that I wrote this thread yesterday not in the intention to criticize the shipping delays (outside UK).

I criticize the complete lack of communication since several weeks. Saying "hey, now we have issues with XYZ and this causes a delay of at least XYZ days, sorry" would be perfect. But knowing that everybody thinks all is on track and then many many days later still nothing happens, this is the point I condemn.

Please do not forget, at the start and also during a campaign they had time to write many updates frequently. Suddenly they stop and ignore the crying community. They proved already that they are capable of taking time for many updates, despite being a small company. 

I simply don ´ t understand the sudden silence which could be avoidable so easy (even for a small company).

But, after all, you answered my question, so I take it as a "yes, nowadays it IS normal, just be patient" , and so I be.

Praise the Sun!

3 hours ago, scifidownbeat said:

In the campaign they scheduled the roll-out for April, and mentioned in an update that the roll-out could possibly start in March if everything went smoothly. Things didn't go quite smoothly and they started distributing in April. So as far as I'm concerned SFG held up their end of the bargain and kept to their original schedule, which in the context of Kickstarters in general is almost a miracle.

Wooooow, wait, wait, wait.

They scheduled THE WHOLE GAME, including all Add-Ons, for April at first. In the update No 83 they said that the shipping would happen in two waves, the first would likely start in March.

Quote:

Currently, we are on schedule to start shipping the Core Game one month early - March 2017 - however, due to the sheer scale of the project with production and Chinese New Year, we have decided to split off the stretch goals and Add-Ons into a second wave.

Now, some of the UK Bakers got their Core Game by the end of April. Not all, end the whole rest of the world still waits, including people like me who live in Germany, which should be damn close to the hub. Mine's not even shippes, so I'm pretty sure I won't get it before May.

I'm pretty pissed as well, not just about the straight up delay (BTW, steamforged seems to avoid this word), but also due to the lack of communication.

1 hour ago, DarthFacemo said:

I see (understand) all your informations and share them now as well. Being no longer on the dark side of the Force but instead having turned to be patient.

I only want to emphasize that I wrote this thread yesterday not in the intention to criticize the shipping delays (outside UK).

I criticize the complete lack of communication since several weeks. Saying "hey, now we have issues with XYZ and this causes a delay of at least XYZ days, sorry" would be perfect. But knowing that everybody thinks all is on track and then many many days later still nothing happens, this is the point I condemn.

Please do not forget, at the start and also during a campaign they had time to write many updates frequently. Suddenly they stop and ignore the crying community. They proved already that they are capable of taking time for many updates, despite being a small company. 

I simply don ´ t understand the sudden silence which could be avoidable so easy (even for a small company).

But, after all, you answered my question, so I take it as a "yes, nowadays it IS normal, just be patient" , and so I be.

Praise the Sun!

The last update on shipping was 10 days ago. 

During the campaign/at the start, the team was able to focus their time on the campaign. Pretty sure they're busy delivering at this point. It's not easy to reply to every (oft repeated) question in 85,000+ comments.

Is the the first time any of you have backed a kickstarter project? Frankly it's incredible that they have achieved what they have - most of the projects I have backed have slipped by 3 or more months with no communication. 

Chill your beans, you'll get the game

23 minutes ago, MetacarpiUG said:

Is the the first time any of you have backed a kickstarter project? Frankly it's incredible that they have achieved what they have - most of the projects I have backed have slipped by 3 or more months with no communication. 

This does raise a valid point. At the end of the day kickstarter is not a shop! You back a project you want to come to life. Yes you have paid a lot of money but in honesty if they tried the best they could and still failed you can be left without anything and not receive any game at all, as long as they can justify where the money went and why you wont get your game.

When you pledge more money you aren't buying a copy of the game, they are sending you one as a thank you for backing them with so much money.

Dont lose sight on what has been previously said about KS campaigns, we are lucky we are getting anything at all. And i am in the UK but no i haven't received mine yet either.

43 minutes ago, MetacarpiUG said:

For many of these people, it IS the first time backing Kickstarter. Or even venturing into board games for that matter.  :)
This game broke a lot of new ground in bringing people into the hobby that weren't interested before, and many didn't know anything about Kickstarter when they jumped aboard.

Ok, I have to say that this attitude that Steamforged is under performing or ignoring their duties is rather grating. These people are busting their rears off to deliver what has been proven to be an incredibly high quality product and have informed us nearly every step of the way on every facit of the adventure, from conception to production to shipping. Now they don't send you a personal response and they get attacks like this? Come on.

Let me math this out for you. 31,178 people backed this game. I'm going to generous here and assume that maybe 10% of these people sent them an e-mail inquiring on the status of their product due to whatever problem they're experiencing. That's 3,117. Now lets assume on the fast side that it takes them 5 minutes to research your individual problem and compose an e-mail to you.

This means that it would take 15,585 minutes, or if you want something easier to swallow, almost ELEVEN DAYS working around the clock to answer every single e-mail and help everyone involved. Granted, this assumes only one person is working on answering these questions, but also keep in mind that they have a fairly small team and have a metric ton of other things they're working on right now.

Be patient. Your product is coming. Stop freaking out and tossing out these insane accusations. They've already delivered on their promises and more, and they will make it right for you. Just wait.

I also think the way they communicate is a problem, and just because most companies act this way, it doesnt become right. And there are Kickstarter-campaigns which deliver in time with better and clearer communication or just explain why there is a delay, which is also completely okay then.

With their update 102 SFG showed that they can do great and clear updates about the whole process too, which makes the vague stuff they are writing now only worse. Which tells me, they either ran into problems they are too afraid to share with us or they misplanned heavily. But we wont know without them telling us. You can only be sure, if they had gotten the money from one big investor, they wouldnt dare to act like this.

Whatever it is, the whole situation leaves a stain on their reputation.

As a Steamforged employee, I'm happy to answer a rules question or even the occasional design question as time permits. :P Alex and I have both been pretty active on these forums the past week as folks have started to receive their games.

I'm afraid the two of us don't have the exact answers you're looking for, though. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view), the folks that do have these answers are spending all their time right now trying to get Dark Souls boxes into peoples' hands.

Over 100 updates through Kickstarter... that to me, is unheard of. At most I see 20 updates on something I have backed. These guys have gone above and beyond.

I had a couple games succeed, post once or twice, and then months later, the game arrives in my mail.

You're being hyper critical. They don't need to tell you every little thing, or hold your hand. If you are getting over hyped and stressing out, I suggest you take some time away from following it so closely. Then, when your game comes, you will be happily surprised.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:00 PM, DarthFacemo said:

Okay, i see, so I try to calm myself and stay patient. Even if I know that they COULD spend some minutes to write a little, short update concerning the result of their test-shipping. Obviously something went wrong, so they KNOW that everybody expect a little explanation.

But, yes, your ´ re right. I will practice in patience.

You have to realize that a few minutes yes doesn't seem like a lot. But for a company the size of Steamforged, a few minutes for each email X 1000's & 1000's of activity will take a ton of time to respond to. Especially when most of the content of these emails will likely be "where is my copy?" 

About a month and a half ago I had a few questions myself! They responded within a few hours and were very friendly & helpful.

Cut them some slack, this is a hugely busy & stressful time.