Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FearLord

Bear Necessities

Recommended Posts

Seriously folks, I'm all for gender equality, but the number of people on this forum who wrongly assume Seenah is female is just staggering! There are 2 acceptable ways to address Seenah, so BEAR with me, while I list them:

1) Gender Neutral - like all the standard animals in the game, Seenah has no listed gender and is therefore generally referred to as 'it'.

2) Male - we've had 2 fluff blurbs for Seenah now, both of which indicate that Seenah is or is strongly rumoured to be the soul of a man in a bear's body, in which case, Seenah is a 'he'.

There is nothing in the game that indicates that Seenah is female at all, and I for one can no longer BEAR it. Thanks for reading!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ho Ho. I would argue that having the soul of man could imply man in the sense of mankind not man as in male. And it just feels right that she is an aggressive momma bear that swipes people to death. I for one will continue with her gender being female, in a fight against the male dominated patriarchy! Fight the Power.

Sherwin! Fix this! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rofl LOLOLOL

I begin to feel like we live in a dangerously absurd times once again.

(Hu)man soul in a bear that is "it" wearing female like name.
So, we have to tackle with the idea incarnation, werebear -ism, spiritual genre changing?

I'll skip the fluff then and focus solely on the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: Sorry if my comment offended anybody. I was slightly inebriated and figured it a harmless comment because it didn't offend my own thoughts on my own identity. A bit more sober, I realize it might have been upsetting to others.

Edited by Ziggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is intended to be a welcoming and inclusive space for all fans of our games, primarily Guild Ball. This includes trans people. Please watch the tone of conversation. 

Seenah's gender has never been officially stated one way or the other, although there are hints that a human soul may have been trapped in a bear by some form of sorcery. If that happened at all, while that human is referred to as a 'man', that could simply be the product of centuries of hearsay, or the use of 'man' in the sense of 'mankind'. 

Refer to Seenah as male, female, or gender neutral, as you wish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Fear I dunno the point of this thread

I've had people call Mist female, Shark female, Any and all mascots various genders.

Folk just get an idea and stick with it, I've "corrected" my mate on Mist countless times and likely will continue to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just having a laugh - I suspect he was too. I do hope no-one was offended by any remarks I made. Everything said was purely a joke about a fantasy miniature bear in a entirely separate reality. Seenah can be whatever to whomever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I was just having a laugh - I suspect he was too. I do hope no-one was offended by any remarks I made. Everything said was purely a joke about a fantasy miniature bear in a entirely separate reality. Seenah can be whatever to whomever.

I suspect everyone is. However, the language and tone used was treading into transphobic territory, so I wanted to step in and head the conversation off at the pass, as it were. 

The part about it purely being a joke about a fantasy miniature bear in an entirely separate reality holds to an extent, but only an extent. If someone was making a series of racist comments about Hammer or Scalpel, they can't defend themselves by saying "Well, everything was a joke about a fantasy miniature in a separate reality, why are you angry?" 

I'm not saying that you were doing something equivalent, of course, just using the example to make a point that just because we're talking about made up people in a made up world, it doesn't suddenly become a free for all. All I'm attempting to do is steer the conversation away from any unpleasant language or tone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

I suspect everyone is. However, the language and tone used was treading into transphobic territory, so I wanted to step in and head the conversation off at the pass, as it were. 

The part about it purely being a joke about a fantasy miniature bear in an entirely separate reality holds to an extent, but only an extent. If someone was making a series of racist comments about Hammer or Scalpel, they can't defend themselves by saying "Well, everything was a joke about a fantasy miniature in a separate reality, why are you angry?" 

I'm not saying that you were doing something equivalent, of course, just using the example to make a point that just because we're talking about made up people in a made up world, it doesn't suddenly become a free for all. All I'm attempting to do is steer the conversation away from any unpleasant language or tone. 

More of this, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, female bears are larger than male bears. If Seenah is male, then a female of his species would be even larger. And my brain refuses to accept that there may be larger bears than Seenah in the world of Guild Ball. For this reason, I personally consider the bear itself to be female. There may or may not be a human soul inside Seenah that may or may not be male, and if that were ever confirmed then we'd have an interesting identity crisis on our hands as to who actually is 'Seenah', the bear, the soul, or the bear + soul combined system, but until then the simplest answer is that it's just a bear and that bear is probably female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, male grizzlies (which Seenah almost certainly is, too big for a black, head is wrong shape for polar) are larger than females. 

But my bear's a she bear, and I don't think I'll be easily dissuaded from that little bit of head canon (I mean seriously, if it's a boy bear, where's his junk?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just assumed Seenah was female because European/Western-ish names that end in "a" sounds usually strike me as feminine. Now I occasionally call the bear "he" due to the inspiration for the name, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steamforged need an anatomically correct limited edition seenah, so when people refer to seenah as she you can flip the model upside down and put that right to bed

(although i call seenah she, seems more fitting for some reason)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Steamforged need an anatomically correct limited edition seenah, so when people refer to seenah as she you can flip the model upside down and put that right to bed

(although i call seenah she, seems more fitting for some reason)

You can achieve the same thing with green stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×