Sign in to follow this  
Wizborne

Praise The Sun(bros) who made this game [random praise topic]

I just wanted to throw up a topic in here for me to say Thank You to Steamforged for making this game, as I'm having a blast with it and am not regretting my decision to back it one bit!

I've only played solo so far, and only managed to reach the mini-boss once, but already I can definitely say that for me the board game achieves something truly special, and that is to make me actually feel like I'm playing Dark Souls!

The degree to which the encounters, bonfire mechanics (resting or not), levelling up, finding gear etc succeeds is really terrific. First encounter I felt surprised and woefully under prepared, but sure enough, with successive attempts (or deaths) it really is like Dark Souls, where you can go back and eventually just breeze the encounters that first overwhelmed you, because you now have the knowledge, the strategies down, and also more equipment to swap in and out.  

I love the miniatures (the odd bent sword aside, but I'm not too upset about that) and for the first time in my life I will be learning how to paint miniatures solely to have my collection looking awesome on the shelf when I'm not playing (and on that note I'm now also super-hyped to get the Darkroot expansion, mega-bosses, and hopefully in time every add-on going!)

Thanks Steamforged, and thanks fellow backers for doing your bit to bring the game to life!

I still don't get my head around why nobody in Germany (where production and especially the last steps took place) hasn't gotten a game yet, but still a good read and I hope I'll feel the same after all (apart from that painting, I just don't see myself doing that) when the game eventually gets delivered! :) Can't play/watch that digital PnP anymore...

1 hour ago, Wizborne said:

I just wanted to throw up a topic in here for me to say Thank You to Steamforged for making this game, as I'm having a blast with it and am not regretting my decision to back it one bit!

I've only played solo so far, and only managed to reach the mini-boss once, but already I can definitely say that for me the board game achieves something truly special, and that is to make me actually feel like I'm playing Dark Souls!

The degree to which the encounters, bonfire mechanics (resting or not), levelling up, finding gear etc succeeds is really terrific...

Thank you very much for the kind words, Wizborne, and I'm thrilled that you're enjoying the solitaire gameplay mode. :wub:

For many games, solitaire is an afterthought of a game mode, but we knew "just play two characters" was *not* the right call for Dark Souls. So we made sure to give that game mode some attention in various ways even when it required a tough call now and then. I personally find it a very compelling and fulfilling solitaire game.

This is a genre that's really surged in popularity over the last few years with solitaire games being a recently-added category for various "best game of the year" lists, and I genuinely think we've got a shot at winning some of those awards for the depth of solitaire gameplay we've been able to provide here.

Hope you keep enjoying the journey!

12 minutes ago, Goseki said:

Glad you're enjoying it man! Can I ask where you're located and if your shipping status Eve changed from "advised" before it arrived? 

I second this, mine is still 'Advised', but i know others have said it turned up and changed over night in a few hours.