RandomScrub

Double Dodge Episode 15 - Falkor the Luck Dragon

Episode 15 of Double Dodge is live!

www.doubledodge.com.au

We are also on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/double-dodge-guild-ball-podcast/id1140110129

In this episode we chat with Jared McGraw and Tobias Ford about tournaments, community building, grooming and etiquette, and effective strategies for saving your realm from the Nothing. Double Dodge!! Atreyuuuuuu!!

Double Dodge is sponsored by Nerdvana Games SA: www.nerdvanagamessa.com and Soupcan: www.soupcan.com.au

Excellent episode. One suggestion would be to introduce timestamp in the episode description. Finding time to listen a whole 97 minutes in one go is a challenge and having time stamps make it easier to break it down in bite-sized bits.

Quit in the middle of turn 1! Well that's just rude, and as stated - a wasted opportunity for him to learn.

Enjoyable listen as always guys, except I disagree about the forums being all that toxic. With the exception of The Great Marbles Furore, the boards are full of reasonably healthy discussion. Sure some people get passionate about things but I honestly don't see too many people being rude to each other. If you do see that, please press the report button - we can't read every post :)

7 hours ago, CurlyPaul said:

Quit in the middle of turn 1! Well that's just rude, and as stated - a wasted opportunity for him to learn.

Enjoyable listen as always guys, except I disagree about the forums being all that toxic. With the exception of The Great Marbles Furore, the boards are full of reasonably healthy discussion. Sure some people get passionate about things but I honestly don't see too many people being rude to each other. If you do see that, please press the report button - we can't read every post :)

I agree. Podcasts have been enjoying bashing on he forums lately and I don't see it. They are 95% healthy discussions without getting rude. 

11 hours ago, Killermonkey said:

I agree. Podcasts have been enjoying bashing on he forums lately and I don't see it. They are 95% healthy discussions without getting rude. 

19 hours ago, CurlyPaul said:

We are mostly just taking the piss. Because 'Straya.

Thanks for listenining xo

3 hours ago, RandomScrub said:

We are mostly just taking the piss. Because 'Straya.

Thanks for listenining xo

Fair enough, you are a bunch of piss takers. Probably the main reason I'd like to live there one day!

6 minutes ago, RandomScrub said:

yes indeed ;)

I'm not entirely certain it's a good thing. But as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Regarding the bit about "Collusion": while I personally have never done it - since I come to tournaments to play and prizes are gravy for me - a lot of games with big tournaments (like Magic) have rules allowing Intentional Draws. Basically, players can choose not to play and their match is recorded as 0-0-3 (since Magic is played in 3-game matches). The Magic tournament rules do specify that offering to draw in exchange for something ("I'll give you this card if you ID with me") does constitute bribery/collusion; basically, all you can ask is "do you want to draw?" and if the TOs found out you arranged some payment beforehand you'll be in hot water. There are plenty of people that don't like IDs, but Wizards of the Coast believes that the alternative - counting IDs as collusion - is impractical for logistical reasons and that it would incentivize actual collusion among the less-scrupulous tournament players.

IDs only really come up between two players with perfect records in MtG, as a way to equitably split the prize winnings; with the way Guild Ball's qualifiers are set up, with there only really being a prize for first place and it being unsplittable, I don't think it would ever come up unless the top two players included one that had already won a qualifier. Personally, I think the better way to handle that particular issue would be to disallow people that have already won a qualifier from competing for another one (it's not like there aren't plenty of non-qualifiers they could compete in), or to create some kind of ladder system and do away with qualifying as a prize except maybe in last-minute qualifying tournaments.

EDIT: It occurs to me this intersects with the Tiebreaker thing too, since an ID in Guild Ball would likely result in both players being nudged down a few spots, depending on how the score was recorded. At the very least I think these things should cut to top 4, but that's another discussion.

Too many images generated in my head. Once you have thought them they can't be 'unthought'

Peering over the wall, with just his eyes, long nose and finger-ends showing  he said' "What no Carball?"

I guess you had already discussed how to grind the opposition with your major contributors.

Good stuff guys, keep it up!