Sign in to follow this  
SirGrumpyPants

SirGrumpyPants plays Guild Ball... poorly

Greetings fellow Hunters, i decided i should start keeping track of my games, so.. yeah. Feedback would be handy too, so let loose with ideas or anything stupid I've done.

For reference, I'm currently sitting at around 25 s3 games, with 2 wins and about half a dozen close calls. So.. not so great. But, this is also my first proper season as well, (I only played 3-4 s2 games, and all of it was with proxied morticians) and solely with Hunters.

-------------

21/04/2017, Hunters v Engineers

Pitch set up with a couple obstructions near my deployment line, about 8-10 from the left/right edges, rough ground offset in the center, fast ground on left side.

Hunters

Theron, fahad, seenah, chaska, minx, egret.

Engineers

Ballista, ratchet, mainspring, hoist, velocity, salvo.

I lose roll, kicking off. Deploy (l to r) seenah (for the fast ground), fahad, minx, theron, chaska, egret. Engies were roughly mainspring, velocity, salvo, ballista, ratchet, hoist.

I kicked off with seenah, to get her up and to take advantage of the fast ground, my plan was to jam bear in the backfield and just eat things. 

Turn 1

Mainspring moves up, gets the ball, passes back to someone else. I charge seenah in, over the fast ground, right into mainspring, knocking it down, doing some damage and generating a couple momentum.

The rest is a bit of a blur, but velocity moved up close to the rough ground, ratchet tooled up salvo, theron moved up to put arrow to the knee on ratchet, then at a couple of blast earths from hoist. Minx and fahad moved up to velocity  charging in to do some damage and get momentum. Egret moved up a little and poisened hoist.

Turn 2

Pretty sure i lost the roll and velocity moved up into snapshot range of my goal, after nimbling and dodging to make any free strikes ineffective. I realised i was in a bad spot, and charged fahad in front of velocity, to making passing and scoring a little bit harder, its about all i could do at this stage, i had no knockdowns in range and there wss no way i was killing velocity, esp with reanimate.

Hoist gets the ball, moves up and passes to velocity - failing the kick (needing 5s for engaged target, rolling 3 4s). Ball scatters, theron runs back, snaps, and passes to egret. Ratchet bombs the crap out of Chaska, doing a wad of damage. Egret walks up, poisons someone with a snap shot, dodges 1" and scores. She dodges back into cover.

4/0 to hunters.

Ball kicked back in, someone gets it and passes to hoist. I charge minx up into ratchet, barely over the rough ground. She does a bunch of damage and get some momentum. Hoist moves up and scores.

4 all.

I kick back in to egret, get a perfect scatter, she collects and scores again.

8/4 to hunters.

Ball kicks back in, someone moves up and belts it up to velocty who gets a snap shot, still engaged by fahad too.

8 all.

I realise im in trouble - velocity still has an activation and can get the ball easily, and wrap it up. I kick way off to the side, hopefully outside her range. Seenah roars and pushes mainspring away, charges into ratchet, getting a bear hug and killing ratchet for 3vp. She then lays into mainspring who is now in range, doing some damage and knocking down.

11/8 to hunters.

At this point there isnt much influence on key players, my opponent does some damage with someone, maybe tooled up salvo using his heroic? Not enough to make difference. I have to score, there is damaged players but nothing easy to close it out - until i remember the knocked down mainspring, with 4 boxes left. Chaska runs up, loaded for a double boom box, and blows away mainspring for the win.

12/8 to hunters.

There might have been a third turn in there somewhere too.

So, it worked out ok.. but only off the back of a crap dice roll. If that initial pass hadn't missed,  i would have been in trouble. 

Velocity is so mobile, and reanimate makes take outs much harder to get. I prob would have scored and tried to ice the ball next time, then go for take outs... but i dont like playing ball like that against a foot ball team, not until i get the new players on the field anyway.

Updates from some recent games, these are all a little fuzzy (5 games in 2 days basically melted my brain) but i'll do the best I can to remember and describe at least the key turns/activations.

-------------

28/04/2017, Hunters v Butchers

Pitch set up had some barriers/obstacles in the middle-ish, forest in the far left side, and rough ground on the right in about the middle. First game with Skatha, and first game against butchers... lets just say it was a literal blood bath.

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, seenah, chaska, minx, vHearne.

Butchers

Fillet, truffles, vBrisket, boar, maybe Harry, and... someone else.

This game is a blur. It turned into a straight up blood orgy; I messed up big. Big big. Never got a decent chance to recover. Basically Skatha went up, snowballed the bear up. Did some charges up the left side with minx, fahad and seenah, almost killing truffles, threatening for next turn mass charges onto pretty much their whole team. Then it .. went to hell.

I shouldn't have committed seenah so far, such a big easy target. It turned into a big daisy chain with Fillet going to town, farming momentum, bleeding players, killing some, with her activation next turn ending in 3 or 4 of my players dead in pretty much one or two activations, all off the back of her work, and she is sitting in the middle of the pitch. There was some counter player here and there from Hearne knocking people down and skewering, chaska boom boxing a little, but it was never enough once Fillet was able to threat everything. Losing the momentum race I lacked any real way of countering. I made an attempt at goal later on, using Skatha to bounce up the field with her doges, and im pretty sure I made the goal, but it was too late by then. Best case i lost 4-12, worst 0-12.

Sad kittens :(

-------------

28/04/2017, Hunters v Morticians

Pitch set up had a forest in the.. roughly right of centre, but about halfway between my set up line and the centre line, some cover in the left and the centre back towards opponent set up line. Skatha again. Did a little better than before.

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, egret, jaecar, vHearne, minx

Morticians

Obby, dirge, cosset, graves, brainpain/memo, ghast 

Turn 1

I kicked off, with Skatha, down the left side of the pitch, towards less threatening players... i confused ghast with bonesaw, otherwise I would have done it down the right side right into Brainpain. Anyway, Obby goes to get it, puppets skatha forward more, starts laying into her. From this point on, the fight is working around this one focal point, slightly over the halfway line on my opponents side, nestled between a wall, a big rock, and a forest a bit further over. Dirge flies in to gang up on Skatha. Graves does.. something and moves into cover up the field. Ghast comes up near the forest. I get Minx up the field, charging her into dirge and bouncing off to engage Cosset, blocking her charge. Egret, Jaecar, fahad move up, not doing a whole this turn. vHearne moves up, skewering Ghast.

Turn 2

Obby starts to make a mess of Skatha. Minx attacks cosset, dodges out, charges back in, almost killing her, then bouncing way back out. Graves comes in to wail on Minx. Dirge comes in on minx for the support. Cosset comes in and starts belting Minx too, almost killing her. vHearne comes in and knocks down Ghast, and attacks Brainpain, but not doing much. Egret and Jaecar come in to the center, doing some damage but not much else. The ball is around them too.  Memory does some attacks on ... someone. I think Skatha. 

Turn 3

Bunch of my players die - minx, Skatha, fahad. Ghast goes into the scrum and just knocks all my dude down :(   Jaecar goes in, manages to get the ball, head up the field and score. Kick back in puts it way out the right side, away from everyone. 

Turn 4

My players come back, but i can't manage to stop a win - some players are taken out, and Brainpain and Memo kill a player, and get the ball to score for the win. I think i manage to actually retrieve the ball with Minx, but Obby puppets a pass, who brings it back into the center for an easy score.

Ends up being 4-12 loss. But, felt a lot better than the Butchers game before it... as in, I actually had players on the pitch for most of the game.

The other 3 games, from a 14 person Tourney on the 29th of April. These games are blurry as hell; it was a full on day, which wasn't helped by playing on the same table for all my games, so it all just runs together.

-------------

29/04/2017, Game: 1 - Hunters v Butchers

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, egret, chaska, minx, vHearne.

Butchers

Fillet, truffles, vBrisket, tendy, shank, meathook.

Pitch had some barriers and obstacles around the left and right of the center pitch, fast ground far left, rough ground far right. I set up Skatha/minx on the left, fahad/egret center, and Hearne/Chaska around the right. Opponent had roughly Fillet and Tendy center, shank/truffles left, brisket/meathook roughly right.

Turn 1

I kick off, with Skatha, over the far left, to utilise the fast ground, and not to brisket. Spoiler alert, tendy basically just hangs around the goal all game, making my life hell. Never gets a charge off, but it makes my scoring a pain. shank gets the ball i think, passes to.. truffles i think. which is probably the worst player to have the ball on (Tendy possibly one of the best in this match up. I can get the ball, but i ain't doing much with it afterwards). Skatha activates, runs to piggy, so she can do her legendary before attacking, tackles the ball, dodges away, and... is about 2 inches away from making the goal. Which is crap :(. After measuring it out I put her in a different spot with the dodge, on the other side of Truffles, away from most of the pain. Rest of the turn is basically set up, and Fillet stabbing Skatha a fair bit. I manage to get Minx into combat with Fillet but it doesnt do much. Egret moves up the left side, hoping to score later on, her 8" range can at least mean she doesn't have to dodge into Tendy's 6" counter charge threat range. Brisket comes in to cover. Chaska boom boxes her away, which will ruin a goal threat later on in the game simply due to being too far out.

Turns 2-3

Skatha ends up dying at some stage. Meathook comes into the scrum, and I put some damage on her and Fillet. Chaska boom boxes meathook out, to both block Tendy and to free up Fahad. Fahad dies from Meathook or Fillet. I think the ball gets passed around, I can't member how i got my hands on it, but I did, and Egret takes it up the left side to score. She then gets demolished by Shank, but still alive. At this point the clocks are running low - im 5-8 mins ahead of my opponent, and I am banking on the bonus points to take the lead and close it out. Minx ends up getting left on one point of health, but bleeding, so she is going to die in maintenance. Ball its being held around the opponents goal, and its making my life really hard to get and score. It gets kicked out way to the side so I can't really get it - and the round timer goes. I win, just - 4 to 3. Which came as a surprise, we both forgot about the timer, so that would have made all the difference, and Minx would not have been left on 1 box.

So.... yeah. Didn't really feel like a win; I didn't out play my opponent, just got lucky on the round timer.

-------------

29/04/2017, Game: 2 - Hunters v Union 

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, seenah, minx, chaska, jaecar

Union

Blackheart, coin, A+G, harry, mist, decimate

Same pitch as before. I set up Skatha on the left again, fahad/minx/seenah together in roughly the left center, jaecar and chaska on the right ish of center.

Turn 1

I kick off with Skatha again, down the left side. Mist comes in and gets the ball passes it to decimate, who dodges for free (from harry's magical hat). I start moving my players up, not doing a whole lot, I can't really reach anyone. Decimate runs all the way over the other side of the pitch. Minx heads up, in a dumb spot, right up in the firing line, but in cover. She gets messed up from A+G and Harry. I think coin pumped up Avarisse before he started belting Minx. Blackheart comes down the center, with the ball, ready to score next turn. 

Turns 2-4

Blackheart scored, i kicked the ball back in over the left for Skatha. She gets it, then mist comes up and steals it again.. i forgot he had 2" reach. :( Bear and Minx go to town on Blackheart, dont do a whole lot, he is sitting in cover from the goal. Mist is sitting about 8" away from my goal, with the ball but unable to score. I end up getting it back and passing it over to the right side. I think Minx comes to collect it, and ends up getting mauled by Decimate and Harry. Decimate takes the ball and scores, which finishes off the game. I think it was a 2-2 win. I lost 0-12.

I screwed up my placement, shouldn't have put minx so far up, and I underestimated Mist. I've played this opponent before too, and he's good. He ends up winning the day, and he wont the last tournament I went to as well - and he slaughtered me with Blackheart that time as well.

-------------

29/04/2017, Game: 3 - Hunters v Engineers

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, seenah, jaecar, ulfr, minx.

Engineers

Ballista, mother, Hoist, Compound, Velocity, Ratchet

Same table as before. I set up Seenah/Minx/Fahad over the left, Seenah right on the edge for the fast ground, Skatha center-ish, and Jaecar and Ulfr on the right, Ulfr right on the wing. Opponent sets up Velocity on the left, Hoist and mother on the right, rest about the middle.

Turn 1

Opponent kicks off with Velocity, to about the center. Skatha, picks up the ball and comes back, snowballs seenah up further. drops the fast ground in front of my players, and blesses seenah and.. jaecar i think. Passes ball to Jaecar. Then its players moving up, mother goes into cover, drops a nest. Jaecar passes to Ulfr, who dodges up. Fahad and minx are in the center of the pitch, and get blasted by Ratchet. Ulfr passes back to Jaecar, who dodges, then Ulfr does Where'd they go and charges up into Mother on the side, not doing a whole lot but getting some Momentum. Thats about it.

Turn 2

Pretty sure I lose initiative. I don't normally generate enough momentum to get it, especially against a team with Momentous Inspiration. Basically my players move up into the center to start threatening and tying up a scrum. I think Velocity might score this turn too. Skatha goes wide out to the left, towards the fast ground, and i kick the ball out there. Ulfr gets messed up by Ballista, Hoist and Mother, but not quite dead yet. Mother drops more nests. Jaecar... dont think he does much, just drops a trap,and getting into the scrum. Fahad and minx end up dying this turn, that blast earth is painful. Bear moves up for later on, can't get anyone - yet.

Turn 3

Now things start to happen. Bear charges in, knocking down Compound, and bouncing into Ratchet. Minx and Fahad come back, charging up into Velocity.  Ulfr dies. Skatha goes on a bounce spree and, using her fast ground, gets within range to score, which she nails with a Screamer. First ever. Hoist ends up getting the ball, and can easily score next turn to end it. Jaecar sees a chance, and starts letting loose, dodging around then running to reach Hoist. He gets there with 1 inf left, and nails him with a Gut and String, severely hampering his movement to score. The trap was set off before, so i drop it again, right next to Hoist. Hoist goes, replicates Mothers teleport, and just.. teleports away. :( at least Jaecar did something cool.

Turn 4

Hoist and Velocity are right in the center, easily in range to score. Hoist drops the ball for Velocity, because Velocity is ganged up by Minx and Fahad. Hoist dodges around, nails minx for some Momentum. I can't do a lot to counter anymore. Velocity gets the ball, right next to her, and just jogs around to score easily.

I lose, 4-12. This opponent ends up coming.. third i think.

-------------

So, after 5 games with Skatha and the new players, ive come to some conclusions:

• I like.
  • She needs friends. Sending her on a wing by herself negates almost all her support tools, and a lot of her movement shenanigans too.
  • She is squishy. Def 5 isn't really that good, not when you are getting ganged up on.
  • Ulfr really needs her blessings and legendary to open up his movement shenanigans too.
  • I like Ulfr, but.. i don't know if he is really that good. I get a lot of utility out of Egret, simply due to flurry. She eats up the opponents momentum, from them clearing conditions and healing, and the extra damage can help nail a player too, just whittling them down.
  • vHearne is good. I really like his KD threat, and with 2 Inf he can easily generate 2 mom, then use last light to skewer someone else. I think he makes a great set up player - far more effective at it than oHearne. But, oHearne has great synergy with Theron...
  • Snow... dunno yet. I really like Fahad - easy damage, super efficient. But that dodge aura looks great. and a Momentous tackle on 1! better at tackling than ALL the other Hunters players.

Got a game in last friday - rematch from the last tournament game.

-------------

05/005/2017, Hunters v Engineers

Hunters

Skatha, fahad, minx, chaska, jaecar, vHearne

Engineers

Ballista, mother, Hoist, ratchet, colossus, harry

Field had some fast ground on the left and some barriers around the middle of the field. I set up (L to R), Chaska, Hearne, Skatha, Jaecar, Fahad, Minx. Engies set up was.. something like (L to R) Colossus, Ratchet, Harry, Ballisata, Hoist, Mother.

I received first turn, Colossus kicking off and reaching the fast ground.. or very close to it. Chaska was loaded up, got the ball, kicked it back towards Hearne, then boom boxed Colossus off the fast ground. Mother moves up and drops a nest. Hearne gets the ball, passes to Skatha who dodges. Ballista goes up, decides to deadbolt Hearne, does something else and moves back. Skatha drops the fast ground near Fahad/Jaecar, snowballs and passes to dodge up further. charges up to belt on Ballista, sitting on the edge of melee ranges, and taking the momentous dodge, dodges up a little, shoots the goal, then Knee sliders back to the right, closer to some cover. Ball kicked back in on Hoist, who goes in, teleports with Mothers nest, then moves up for a shot at goal.. which misses. Ball is sitting right next to my goal. 

From here it basically turns into a massive scrum around the center of the field, with the 2" melee models blocking minx and fahad from charging (I chose bad targets for them - I had the chance to charge a snared Ballista, which I should have done, instead of going for Ratchet). Ballista is in the middle of it with his minefield up, which is annoying as hell. Lots of blast earths on Hearne take him out, jaecar gets in on it and starts dodging around damaging people, minx doing similar, Skatha tries to help, Chaska boom boxes colossus like a mad man. Hoist ends up getting the ball and scoring, minx gets taken out, and with bonus points (I clocked out about 3/4 through the match) that wraps it up, with a 12-4 win to Engineers.

So, i did some things badly:

• Charged the wrong players, I should have taken on Ballista with Fahad, he was snared and it would have been amazing. :(
  • Hearne didnt do much, at all. But, he was a main target for the blast earths, so that was nice, took the heat of other players.
  • I forgot about Reanimate - Chaska tried to finish off Hoist, but I should have gone for Colossus instead.
  • Shouldn't have left the ball just sitting there next to my goal - I don't really want to play the ball game against Engineers, and I couldn't just take it and score straight up, so I thought wailing on the other team was the better option... but, with most of the players tied up in the scrum and Mother with 0 inf most of the game, Skatha would have been better served running up the side and at least taking control of the ball and threatening a goal - forcing my opponent to answer that would have released some players from the scrum and opened things up.