malladin.ben

Initial thoughts?

So we've seen the stats for the full team, now. What's your ideas and thought for teams, tactics, etc?

I fancy Grange, Buckwheat, Millstone, Harrow, Windle and Tater

It's a bit INF light at 11 basic, but with plenty of opportunity to generate extras through harvest markers.

Some set play ideas:

Millstone uses get out turn 1 and gets runs down the line giving everyone a 2" dodge forward.

Player with the ball passes to buckwheat, who dodges up, place a harvest marker next to him and you can move up to a goal scoring position with potentially 12" movement from a starting position 6" from the line. You'll need to do a bit of passing down the line because you'll want the 2 MP for a bonus time shot, but he's got so much movement you can put him pretty much where you want, but with grange around you should have no problems moving the ball around. Decent first turn plan if you're receiving 

Between Millstone and a few other players triggering stop slacking, Windle can be as much as 14" up the pitch before he activates. If Millstone triggers him last she can drop a harvest marker for big breakfast, too. This would be my first turn plan if I'm kicking. He can be tooled up and tough hide before he goes in. If you can get Grange in on someone beforehand he can really go to town! 

What ideas do you have?

Played Thresher, Peck, Jackstraw, Millstone, Harrow, and Bushel into Smoke last night.

What I could get done each turn was limited due to players just not doing much. This is likely an easy fix by switching Bushel into Tater, maybe by a planter into a reaper instead but not really sure. Had plenty of INF each turn and was leaving about half the markers on board for character plays/traits. 

Thresher loves his planters. Jackstraw is able to place harvest Markers far up for don't fear the reaper, millstone pushes him to extend threat to 13" of his starting position that turn. Harrow tooling up obviously. He also is pretty mobile. They melt like hot butter though.

Thresher is my anti ball team, Grange is how I'm leaning against the beater teams. 

Want to share my young growth. 

Played the first Farmers match against the Butchers to check them out. My opponent was returning to GB after a break, and since I mentioned this would be my first time with Farmers, chose to restrain himself from the regular Fillet squad and went for Ox as his very first pick. 

Line-ups ended up like this:

Grange, Buckwheat, Harrow, Millstone, Tater, Bushel
Ox, Princess, Boar, Boiler, vBrisket, Rage

The first surprise came with the Plot Cards, when I ended up with "Heroic Landing" only to discover I have no heroic plays whatsoever. :lol: Salute to the pre-expansion Hunters with "Sic 'Em!" - you are not alone any more.
Butchers won the roll-off and preferred to receive. Bushel kicked into the rough ground a bit off the center (staying within Harrow's 4" just in case).

Ox went to collect the ball and pass it back (he was the only one who could do it because of the rough ground), but overextended a little bit, careless of potential Farmers' T1 shenanigans. The only precaution was putting Tough Skin on himself. That probably was the decisive moment of the match, first activation...

Millstone pushed everyone up and placed a harvest marker for the donkey's free jog [1 - will mark the total number of markers on the pitch]. That put Ox in threat range of 5! Farmers.

Butchers passed the ball with little success in the backfield (generated only 1 mom and spent it to dodge Brisket so she could get into the cover during her activation). Meanwhile Buckwheat used a free jog, then charged into Boiler, putting the boy on his bum and kicking him back well beyond the deployment line (which he eventually crossed 6 times back and forth during the match). And Harrow tooled Tater up, charged into Ox, knocking him down and casually sowing some seeds around (free one from the captain and 1 from attack) [2].

Brisket went almost sideways into the cover, killing the ball, and pushed Boar up with Quick Time so that he could charge into anyone ganging up on the flattened Ox in midfield. I responded with Bushel, cutting the potential Boar's charge angle so that she was the only one he could reach (staying protected by Harrow). She also farmed momentum off the Butchers' captain, damaging him a little bit in preparation for the following thrashing. Boar charged into 6/1 Bushel (Defensive Stance) and hurt for a total of 4 damage. Which a couple of minutes later turned into 6 damage, cause we both forgot about The Owner.  

Grange joined the fray, planted another marker in the midfield [3], damaged Ox a little more and popped his "Commanding Aura lite" (Honest Labour). Then Tater charged in to finish Ox, but couldn't just do so leaving the Master Butcher at 1, cheerfully sweeping 2 of his teammates as well (which I didn't really care about since Harrow would soon heal them back almost to full anyway).

I predictably won the initiative roll and decided to leave [2] harvest markers for the next turn, removing only one to get to 13 inf.

Turn 2 started with Grange finishing Ox, engaging both Boar (KD and damaged him) and Rage, with Honest Labour back in action. 6 momentum per activation wasn't too shabby as well.
Boiler then tried to retaliate on the donkey, but only got put back almost into his original position (face into turf beyond the deployment line) by the counter. Still left the donkey hurt a bit and bleeding.

Harrow tooled up Tater, went up and KD'd Rage. Then he put a marker for the donkey to give him a free attack [4].
Rage got up and put bleed on Harrow (hard decisions between a KD or a damage result to activate Berserk were a feature of this match). Millstone jogged to warm up a little, while Boar forfeited his movement and made a futile attempt to hit Bushel.

Buckwheat removed bleeding from both Harrow and himself ("Field Dressing" was quite handy there for the local medic donkey), knocked the dog down and positioned himself near Boiler and controlling the wing against the returning taken out players.
Brisket used Quick Time and sprinted downfield to the wing, but surprisingly decided not to go into the forest and stayed right at its edge.

Ending the turn, Tater then took the big guy Boar out and even wasted 2 mom to heal up Bushel to full (who would get it anyway from Harrow) because I was sitting on 9 momentum against 1.

4-0.

I obviously chose to go first again and decided to leave a couple of markers on the pitch (Fork Off! and free attack for Buckwheat), and with 15 inf could pretty much fully load up everyone.
Ox and Boar returned into play on the next to the scrum sideline (the one under the donkey's control).

Tater charged into Brisket with the ball, who was unfortunate to lose her charm going into veterancy and luckily for me stayed outside of the cover from the forest. So I rolled exactly enough to tackle the ball and then kicked it to the open field next to 3 of my guys. The ball scattered to the side, off the mark, but still was on Bushel's route towards the Butchers' goal post. Brisket decided to make the farmboy pay for such insolence, but "Prince Charming" proved to be too irresistible for her to do him any harm.

Since none of the Butchers could reach the ball, I reckoned I could yet wait with the shot on goal. So went with Grange to engage the returning pair on the wing instead. He dropped another marker for the donkey to get a free jog [3]. Then he brought Boar to the ground and fluffed an attack on Ox.
My opponent decided to leave Ox so far and stood Boar up and hit Grange. The dilemma of KD vs Berserk rose up again, and he decided to knock the Farmer captain down this time.
Buckwheat then honked the deafening "Eeyore!" and knocked the pesky dog down. Then he double jogged and hit the unaware Ox right in his gut to fold him in half and then mightily kick him off the pitch to check how the Physicians were doing.

Boiler decided to try his luck against the donkey for the third time, cleared conditions and charged. Brave donkey prepared to face the little guy the best possible way he  could (Defensive Stance and "Brace for Impact"). Boiler didn't expect such villainy from the unwily looking creature, whiffed and tasted the same old wretched medicine of a KD on a counter-attack. At least he didn't get pushed off this time...

Bushel felt it was her time now, used a Cabbage Punt just in case, sprinted into tap-in range and scored. The goal kick trundled almost to the center of the pitch, a bit too far for any of the players to reach it.

Harrow had nothing better to do than to farm some more momentum hitting Rage and do his usual farmer's duty [5].

10-0.

There was no way to lose the roll; to put an end to the Butchers' misery, Grange activated and finished the bruised Boar to win the match.

12-0.  

That's probably my favourite Grange line up from previous testing. Not too reliant on eating crops for good effects, so let's you play from turn 2 onwards with decent influence.

Note - Peck does have a heroic and you'd normally pick cards prior to choosing your line up.

I tried them last night, Grange, Peck, Harrow, Millstone, Tater, and Windle vs Smoke, Flask, Calculus, Mercury, vKat, and Crucible.

Lots of fun to play. Harrow's healing aura mitigated most of the condition damage I was taking so I didn't often feel pressure to remove them, unless I needed to clear the MOV penalties from Burning. A tooled up Tater with some Gang Ups and Honest Labor made pretty short work of vKat. Windle got his 3 VP takeout off twice, against Crucible and Calculus.

Ended up winning 12-8, with two Snack Break kills, two regualr kills, and a Witness Me from Kat. They're a great team that really rewards setup and synergy. Looking forward to playing them more.

I'm liking the farmer's team. They have some fun abilities and synergies that are balanced by having no raw 4/8" kick stats and lowish TAC that needs to always be buffed for the players to get the plays they want off.

You pay for the 'free influence and buffs' that the harvest markers provide by generally having a lowish influence team that is vulnerable to being outplayed and vulnerable to control abilities. You pay for the healing abilities and Grange's tough skin character play by having lowish armour. You pay for the abundant access to momentous knockdown and 2 inch reach by having TAC that is 2 lower than what you want. 

The only thing I don't like is the non-momentous tackles. Only the scarecrow has a momentous tackle.

Honestly, I was looking for a team to sell my soul to so I'd stop jumping around, and farmers have everything I wanted in a guild so far. I still haven't been able to play them, but they seem to fit my style to a T, and have great models to boot.

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Honestly, I was looking for a team to sell my soul to so I'd stop jumping around, and farmers have everything I wanted in a guild so far. I still haven't been able to play them, but they seem to fit my style to a T, and have great models to boot.

I'm definitely picking them up as my second main team (after Hammer Mason's). They seem like generalists that aren't as point and click as some Mason's options (like Flint/Mist or Honour+Marbles+Harmony).

Just now, Mr. Grumble said:

I'm definitely picking them up as my second team (after Hammer Mason's). They seem like generalists that aren't as point and click as some Mason's options (like Flint/Mist or Honour+Marbles+Harmony).

Heh, I think I'll be making Honour Masons my secondary team once these are out. There's a lot of similarities, but enough differences that I prefer the Farmers to the Masons.

Just now, malladin.ben said:

I played 'em last night. Buckwheat got 8vp from goals and a serious assist on the first takeout as he was able to drop kick Jaecar 4" closer to Windle and into Grange's melee.

I really want to play that guy. A 20 inch goal threat is seriously legit, but it feels unintuitive to give a mascot more influence than most of your team on a consistent basis.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Grumble said:

I really want to play that guy. A 20 inch goal threat is seriously legit, but it feels unintuitive to give a mascot more influence than most of your team on a consistent basis.

Super fun with sic 'em

2 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

Super fun with sic 'em

Yeah, Sic 'em is great for Buckwheat. Influence to your Mascot is also not a huge issue for some Grange teams especially- depending on build, you can be swimming in extra influence from turn 2...

I played Grange, Millstone, Harrow / Tater, Windle, Buckwheat, so 11 INF basic. Harrow had 1 for tooled up, Millstone usually went without (gave her one for the dodges on t1) and Grange took whatever Tater, Windle and Buckwheat didn't need.

I found I used the harvest markers fairly aggressively. The list is putting down 3 markers a turn, and buckwheat and Windle ate one a turn, and Tater used one for Forking Off of. It meant I only went up to 12 influence the next turn

If you pop a harvest marker down next to Buckwheat he can attack for free, kick whoever's engaging him 4" away (potentially momentously KDing them too), then eat it for a jog, sprint and shoot for 2 INF. Last night he was the absolute star player on the team:

• t1, kicked to get him up field, ate a marker to jog for position, then sic 'em to charge behind Jaecar, tackle him, then had two attacks left to hit him and kick him 4" towards Windle and into Grange's honest labour range.
  • t2, Snow came over and tackled him, but he KD'd him on the counter, which left the ball a jog away from him and close to the goal. I used Grange's legendary to place a couple of markers out, one next to buckwheat and one near the ball. On buckwheat's go snow had stood up, so Buckwheat when territorial on his ass and sent him flying and back on the ground, then ate the marker to jog for the ball, then sprinted into tap in range and had a 3-dice shot with bonus time.
  • t3, he was in tap in position and the ball was loose near the main scrum in the middle of the pitch. I stacked up Grange who found a position in the middle of the scrum where he could engage vHearne, Skatha and Chaska, and be within 8" of Buckwheat, picking up the ball as he went. He KD'd Chaska and Hearne, then did 2DMG 3 times to Skatha to take her out, then kicked to Buckwheat for a tap in snap shot.

Overall I scored 14 VPs:

• Buckwheat: 2 goals, Assist for a take out, assist for one of his own goals
  • Grange: 1 takeout (Skatha), Assist for one goal
  • Windle: 1 takeout (Jaecar), assist for another takeout (Ulfr)
  • Tater: 1 takeout (Ulfr), assist for 1 takeout (Skatha) (and left Hearne on 5hp so could have killed him if snapshot had gone awry)

It's always difficult to judge things when I play against Jacob, especially on an evening when he's tired and not fully focused, and playing 4 completely new models, but...

Farmers feel a little bit good. The amount of 2" melee zones is phenomenal, and the access to pushes and KDs they have makes them feel like they out brawl brewers. It would be interesting to try them against a team like Fish that can match them for 2" melees, or Butchers that can kill them back quickly, but they have great control play and a good range of threats, and influence isn't such a big deal if you get the balance of planters and reapers right.

That said, I think activation order is a major headache for them. I was often in a position where I wanted to activate a reaper, but didn't have the harvest markers in position to get the most out of them. Tater's ideal here because he can muck in and be solid without a marker, then still get the benefit from it after he's activated for Fork Off.

I can remember Chris Rutter saying about S1/2 Brewers that you need to make killing the cat a priority. I can see the donkey falling into a similar category in S3, he's such a big threat. As such I think I am going to be spending a point from Grange to give him Tough Hide most turns.

Grange is a top captain. He generates so much influence, and can have a solid turn if you stack him up, but is mainly fine just with a couple (1 for Honest Labour, which is amazing for 1 INF, one for Constitution or a sprint depending which is more important, but I think I only sprinted with him turn 1). His legendary is really good, too. If I'm reading things right, he doesn't get the benefit from Honest Labour, but does gain sturdy and the KICK bonuses on passes, which is a bit tricky to get right at first, but doesn't much limit his effectiveness. With a momentous KD on 1 and a 2" melee he can quite happily sink any INF you give him into decent useful momentous combat results, even if he's not piling on the damage.

Windle was not as big a problem as I thought he might be. I had plenty of influence spare to give him 2, and found it easy to provide him with breakfast each turn. His defence was not such a big issue as he was always pretty well protected with assists from his team mates, so even when they had him snared it was difficult for them to get the wrap.

Harrow is pretty solid, but you need to be careful about his positioning so that you don't lose his chance to plant a marker. Tooled up is decent on Tater, but if you can have a solid Windle turn he can really go to town with it - his 2 DMG is pretty easy to get when he's had breakfast and is within Grange's Honest Labour range, 3 isn't that difficult either, although a lot of the time it was a toss up between 2 momentous or 3 non- and I usually went for the momentum. But 6 attacks that can easily do 4 momentous damage each - wow!

Back to activation order, I think Tater is your best early hitter, and Windle and Buckwheat better as late activations. Not only does Tater not need as much set up, he can dish out a burst of damage and KDs to help slow down the enemy and set up your other players. I'm usually looking to either Tater or Grange as my first activation. Grange of I can afford some set up time, Tater if I feel I need to go in early (which is most turns to be fair), then I can go in with Grange and Harrow for set up, then I've got a potential dummy activation from Millstone and Buckwheat and Windle to reap the rewards of all that set up.

I usually found I had 1 marker left at the end of the turn, which I always turned into INF (but did come close to saving it turn 3, but it was largely academic anyway as the game ended with the first activation).

Cheerio,

Ben

30 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

If I'm reading things right, he doesn't get the benefit from Honest Labour, but does gain sturdy and the KICK bonuses on passes

Correct, as mentioned on p. 14 of the Rulebook:

An aura is an effect which is constantly active throughout its duration. Models within an aura are immediately affected by it. An aura extends from the edge of the model’s base up to the distance specified by the number listed. A model is affected by its own aura unless otherwise stated.

My Hot Take is Farmers are ridiculously good. Sure everyone is 3/0 (well Millstone exception) but look at the models - Grange is insane. How did that guy get that package with a 2" melee zone?? Tough Hide, Damage Assist (basically) 5/6 INF, KD on 1...Thresher is going to be a hard sell. Also, I don't buy the low INF argument when as long as you take 2-3 Planters you can expect 15+ INF a turn. And a mascot with an auto-disengage attack?? And Millstone's auto 2" push forward the team on Turn 1?? Insane.

Bonkers. I look forward to playing with/against them, but on paper they look mental. OMG so many 6" Auras, so much KD...wow, double rainbow, all the way...

31 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

My Hot Take is Farmers are ridiculously good. Sure everyone is 3/0 (well Millstone exception) but look at the models - Grange is insane. How did that guy get that package with a 2" melee zone?? Tough Hide, Damage Assist (basically) 5/6 INF, KD on 1...Thresher is going to be a hard sell. Also, I don't buy the low INF argument when as long as you take 2-3 Planters you can expect 15+ INF a turn. And a mascot with an auto-disengage attack?? And Millstone's auto 2" push forward the team on Turn 1?? Insane.

Bonkers. I look forward to playing with/against them, but on paper they look mental. OMG so many 6" Auras, so much KD...wow, double rainbow, all the way...

It's conga time!

30 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I'm starting to think similar. INF doesn't seem that big a deal if you can get your team to a fairly standard INF level and then add harvest markers on top. Especially with Grange as your captain, and he does a fair bit for you offensively despite being a planter. I think he compares favourably to Corsair - similar playbooks (better KDs, earlier pushes, slightly worse damage), the better part of corsair's legendary always on, messes about with both sturdy and tough hide through character and legendary plays, so probably evens out with corsair on the kick stuff. So you're basically swapping around the prominence of resilience over ball play, and losing ARM, close control, drag and rough seas to gain a honest labour, lend a hand and planting season. Corsair's probably a little ahead, but if you consider planters are supposed to not be as offensive as reapers, he's still pretty good. With Grange you're getting the ability to fuel your reapers without giving too much offensive value in your captain.

Ben

They do have weaknesses though:-

- lack of ranged plays - not a huge amount of interaction or control from outside of Melee.

- lack of Armour - I won't say they lack defence, as that's very much build dependant since half the starter set models are def 5+, but generally speaking, they're easy to control, particular in Melee (no arm means people will get better playbook results against them - high health mitigates this a little, but not completely.

- build dependant - I'm a big believer in the fact that a good player can throw together any team of models from a Guild and still get something done - this doesn't necessarily hold true for the Farmers. They aren't a low influence team, in fact if anything I would say they are a high influence team that struggles to get optimal performance from each influence. However, it's possible to put together a team that generates just 7 influence a turn, and doesn't provide much in the way of Harvest markers to make up for this - clearly you need some balance in list building.

- Harvest Markers. These can be a bit of a double edged sword in terms of dictating activation order and positioning. Savy opponents can separate you from them or destroy them.

That said, they are a great team and one of my favourites- I've been waiting to get my hands on the models for these for what feels like ages!

3 hours ago, EpicChris said:

Thresher is going to be a hard sell.

Thresher is bae.

Got a couple games in last night, one running Grange/Peck/Tater/Windle/Millstone/Harrow and one running Thresher/Peck/Tater/Millstone/Harrow/Jackstraw. Both captains performed well, but Thresher just clicked for me. I think Grange is good too—and my initial thoughts is you really can't run a tourney nine without both captains, their both needed for different situations and matchups—but Thresher is absolutely more my style. Some quick ideas since most people seem to be talking about Grange:

- Thresher can kick off and be Cocky, Tooled Up, defended by Tater, and threatening 13" from where he started. Then you can place 2 HM from Jackstraw to where Thresher is roughly going, so he can DFT Turn 1 and Turn 2 without a lot of setup. This requires Jackstraw to go late so the seeds don't get trampled, but that's no biggie turn one. Thresher is just far and away the Farmers' best kickoff model, I don't really see anyone else who even remotely competes and in some squishy matchups his threat is really brutal.

- After Turn 1's activation of smashing face, Thresher can activate immediately again Turn 2 to DFT and chase the ball or finish off a second player. Sometimes while attacking one target he'll just randomly apply TAT to other targets for later in the turn. He could also instead downshift to a support gear, see below.

- The lineup above—Tater and 3x planters—is probably Thresher's bread and butter and I doubt you'll get a ton of success with much variation (further testing required). He demands a lot more strict of a lineup than Grange, which is a minor downside, but this lineup is really solid. Millstone does work on the legendary, Tater always does work, and Thresher within 6" of Millstone and 4" of a HM is a pain in the ass to keep down. KD+dodge on a counterattack where he can't be KD'd, and the counter is free, is $$$. I can see subbing in Buckwheat for Peck for sure when Cocky isn't a big deal, but I do like this being base 13 INF. Testing will tell when Buckwheat can come in for some extra juice. 

- Thresher is definitely a supersolo when supported, but he can also set up real well for his team. If he needs to activate early and can't get Tooled Up or doesn't see an obvious kill, he can run around placing KD and TAT on people for his allies to kill. Even with the above lineup Tater and Millstone threat a lot of damage and if Tater ever gets a Fork Off off it's curtains for that character. All of the above is extra true on Legendary turn. I think Thresher is looking at 2-2 or 1-4 for win conditions, he has the goods to score at least one goal and then the game is about overwhelming INF advantage. There is a downside to consider in Thresher's plays, in that he reaaaaaally wants to get DFT off every turn. When he doesn't his output suffers considerably. 

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

They do have weaknesses though:-

- lack of ranged plays - not a huge amount of interaction or control from outside of Melee.

- lack of Armour - I won't say they lack defence, as that's very much build dependant since half the starter set models are def 5+, but generally speaking, they're easy to control, particular in Melee (no arm means people will get better playbook results against them - high health mitigates this a little, but not completely.

- build dependant - I'm a big believer in the fact that a good player can throw together any team of models from a Guild and still get something done - this doesn't necessarily hold true for the Farmers. They aren't a low influence team, in fact if anything I would say they are a high influence team that struggles to get optimal performance from each influence. However, it's possible to put together a team that generates just 7 influence a turn, and doesn't provide much in the way of Harvest markers to make up for this - clearly you need some balance in list building.

- Harvest Markers. These can be a bit of a double edged sword in terms of dictating activation order and positioning. Savy opponents can separate you from them or destroy them.

That said, they are a great team and one of my favourites- I've been waiting to get my hands on the models for these for what feels like ages!

I generally don't see these as weaknesses though - they have great defence tech everywhere and for some reason an insane number of health boxes. Why does Grange have 26 health?!? A model with access to TH? Cray-cray. I am definitely scared by them from their paper. As a Hunter's player, they look like they will roll over Hunter glass-cannons while laughing at the Hunter DMG output. I definitely expect high things from these guys. It's all paper-theory for now though. They will probably hate Smoke though...

Nope, they love Smoke. So much of her damage output comes from everyone taking 3 a turn from Burning and Poison, and if you have Harrow in the middle of your pack, even if everyone has both those conditions they're only taking 1 damage. Millstone and Peck help mitigate gaining the conditions, too, and the team has such high health that they can prevent vKat from getting his kill on the charge, and they've got plenty of damage output to take him down before he becomes a problem.

24 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I generally don't see these as weaknesses though - they have great defence tech everywhere and for some reason an insane number of health boxes. Why does Grange have 26 health?!? A model with access to TH? Cray-cray. I am definitely scared by them from their paper. As a Hunter's player, they look like they will roll over Hunter glass-cannons while laughing at the Hunter DMG output. I definitely expect high things from these guys. It's all paper-theory for now though. They will probably hate Smoke though...

Well you have to activate that tough hide first, and generally you'll find that as it's OPT, they'll just hit someone else - arguably that's what Grange wants anyway (as then his additional crowd out tech kicks in), but they go down pretty quick to concentrated attacks.

Worth noting as well that 3+ / 0 is the weakest defensive profile for a Captain in the game, bar none...

Sure, but it's deceptive given he has anti-KD tech, and TH. He has to activate early to avoid a scragging, but with 26 boxes, he's got a cushion. Definitely want to see what he's like on the TT but he looks a defensive/offensive nightmare. 2" is insane for that crowd out bonus/damage buff. Insane. I'm sure he's balanced but when I saw all that kit on a captain it freaks me out. In a faction with Tooled Up, the damage output looks terrifying. With Bushel around to bounce in goals, they look legit.

Once again it makes me wish Jaecar was Maverick and Hunters had Tooled Up.