Sign in to follow this  
AVGVSTVS

The very first review of the game is up!

30 minutes ago, Norintha said:

Wow, I figured the dice would be 3 blanks on the black 2 blanks on the blue and 1 blank on the orange. Guess that would be too random.

Yeah, looks like randomisation is minimized here. Best use for luck token seems to be for dodge rolls. 

Faithful to the game too - damage only minimally varies.

10 minutes ago, AVGVSTVS said:

Yeah, looks like randomisation is minimized here. Best use for luck token seems to be for dodge rolls. 

Faithful to the game too - damage only minimally varies.

Between that and the extra sneak peak on the cards I really can't wait. The models seem to have a higher detail ceiling than the 40K ones I had some years back, but still looked like they had some mold lines to attend to. Overall I am very excited now though. The items I saw all looked useful/fun, really want to get those firebombs.

Fantastic review, ut was great to see some if tg cards and models up close. After all the fuss I think the Dancer has still ended up looking awesome. 

It's good thst there is only one blank face on the die too, they're right that in a game that's already difficult l, it would likely be too frustrating to be able to miss completely often. 

Still not sure how I feel about the encounter being over if just one person dies though. 

Nice review, can't wait to get my copy :-)

As I stumbled upon this before while reading the rulebook:

In 4:27 he said that you are able to put 3 weapons into your backpack/backup slot.

As far as I understand the rule, you can hold 3 weapons at the same time at all. So, if you have a 2 handed weapon equipped, you can put two 1 handed weapons into your backpack and vice versa. (Or equip two 1 handed weapons and put one shield into your backup slot)

So.. who is correct here? 

1 hour ago, Bonko said:

In 4:27 he said that you are able to put 3 weapons into your backpack/backup slot.

As far as I understand the rule, you can hold 3 weapons at the same time at all. So, if you have a 2 handed weapon equipped, you can put two 1 handed weapons into your backpack and vice versa. (Or equip two 1 handed weapons and put one shield into your backup slot)

You are correct. Three weapons as a whole, wether they are in your hands or backpack.

1 hour ago, Bonko said:

"A character can hold up to three weapon cards at a time; all of these weapon cards that are not in hand slots go into the backup slot , which is the only slot that can hold more than one weapon."

Three weapon CARDS is the magic word here... So, in total you could carry up to 3 two-handed weapons, 3 one-handed weapons, 2 two-handed weapons and 1 one-handed weapon or the other way around...

Awesome!  

Also, my OCD is laid to rest...

Just saw the Warrior Once per spark ability text missing the O--Fixed!

Silly, I know, but nice to see they fixed it for the final print

52 minutes ago, Goseki said:

I'm still thinking about this review, I can't watch it again just now but did they even mention any negatives? 

No, not really. They loved it...

Differently than Tom from Dice Tower. But I'm not on the same page with him, so I don't care too much about what he said there... He felt it's just old mechanics, Grundy, luck dependent and boring fight, fight, fight and fight...

Another posooreview here, not watched the video yet: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-21-dark-souls-the-board-game-is-smarter-than-it-is-hard

As for the dice Tower review, yes it might have a lot of familiar mechanics, but there aren't many games that have them all on one package. The boss fights with the need to actually position to reduce/increase damage are actually pretty rare. Like you said though, each to their own! 

Do other people really grind that much in the video games? A cool boss a few times for fun yea, but who sits down and just kills trash over and over.

@Norintha I used to quite a bit while I was getting used to the game. I also grind whenever I'm looking to equip and upgrade a new weapon, so in that way, it's pretty faithful to how I play.

I'm not sure the dice tower really gave it a fair go. They have this habit of deciding they don't like a game before it ever gets into their hands based on theme. The man does not appreciate dark themes. Disappointingly, he seems to not be overly clear on the rules a few times throughout the video as well. He says he had a hard time with the rulebook. I feel like he may have barely read it. It's pretty clear on the way transposed weapons work and he was really wrong about it. The only restriction on the items you can equip are their skill requirements. Anyone can equip a class's specific transposed cards, they're just only in the game if someone is playing that class.

I actually quite enjoyed the earlier areas of Soulsborne, where you are just starting to build up. So, yeah, I kinda liked to grind out early stuff (when I still don't know everything like the back of my hand, and are not too strong for it).

Posted (edited)

For real @Steamforged? The first thing we will see when opening the box for the first time will be a big "YOU DIED"?

That's effin awesome! Well played, SFG, well played...

On topic... The early reviews are quite good, and that's always a good sign. Usually, first reviews on highly expected things (Such as video games, I don't really know about board games) are quite rough and "clickbaity", but in this case they are quite generous (Even that Dice Tower one didn't said that the game was bad, just it was not their cup of tea*). And I fully agree with the MvM guy about the dice and just one blank side, it makes the math and the damage theorycrafting smoother and less likely to be screwed by the RNG.

Argh, and my copy won't arrive till... June maybe? Damnit Translation-Gate! This long wait is going to make me a Hollow...

*Edit: After seeing again his review, I found that guy a bit biased. But it was not hate for the sake of hate, it was just... Weird, way too different from his other reviews.

Edited by Trusty Patches
I mixed things up...

Have anyone noticed the Lothric's Holy Sword? It is a Twin Prince's soul weapon from DS 3, right? I assume they added it to the core box as there are a lot of treasures of this boss (3 weapons, 2 armor sets). 

Another review just popped up, Polygon this time. Also negative, but essentially very similar to what Dice Tower/Tom Vasel said.  It was extremely amusing to me how as he described what he didn't like as "An overwhelming sense of despair", that is was too hard, and you died a lot. I take all of those things as positive. It is Dark Souls the Board Game, not for everyone. I do think, as some people over on KS were saying, that he seemed a bit biased against it going in, he maybe didn't emphasize that is wasn't for him, rather labeling it bad. I cringed when he called Dark Souls a shooter...

I was reading the Polygon review and I found this funny:

He says, "But, unlike the video game, skill doesn’t matter as much here." 

And shortly follows that by saying, "Making matters worse, if you are not exacting and precise in your play at every step of the way you may never face the final boss in battle."

Is that not skill mattering quite a lot here? Those seem pretty contradictory.

I'm more bothered by the fact he complains the "skirmish" mode is too long and difficult and that he didn't try the campaign mode :/

Still the need for precision and repetition are things I was aware of and expecting and actually looking forward to exploiting somewhat so that's fine. 

Bit worrying to read about some of the issues with the minis though... 

25 minutes ago, Goseki said:

Bit worrying to read about some of the issues with the minis though... 

What did they say about the minis? I watched two of the review videos and didn't hear anything bad