Rvianarpg

Venim - what you think?

hi all.

i start to look at Venim and think:

1 - he can have 2 ARM - wich is good

2 - Sacrificial Puppet - good too

3 - kick 2/8 .... 

so why he dont see many games? 

is because he occupy the place of kinds like Mercury or Compound? 

thanks

I think Venin is better than he seems at a glance, but with that said Sacrificial Puppet is a super underwhelming ability. It's essentially dealing 1 damage to himself to deal 1 damage to an enemy. And for an influence that just doesn't feel great.

He's got a bit of an identity crisis, where it seems like he wants to be around to fight due to Melting Body and Coagulate, but his speed and kick liken him more to a striker. His playbook is so-so it can generate good momentum but isn't generally where you want to put 4 Influence.

It looks to me like in a team where you can have Katalyst, Harry, Vitriol, and Compound there just isn't room for him.

2 hours ago, JacctheInsomniac said:

I think Venin is better than he seems at a glance, but with that said Sacrificial Puppet is a super underwhelming ability. It's essentially dealing 1 damage to himself to deal 1 damage to an enemy. And for an influence that just doesn't feel great.

He's got a bit of an identity crisis, where it seems like he wants to be around to fight due to Melting Body and Coagulate, but his speed and kick liken him more to a striker. His playbook is so-so it can generate good momentum but isn't generally where you want to put 4 Influence.

It looks to me like in a team where you can have Katalyst, Harry, Vitriol, and Compound there just isn't room for him.

Yep.

i just Vassal him right now and he was so-so. 

He just doesn't fit into a decent 9. Need poison? Take Calculus. I could see it being a different story if she didn't have Blind. Calculus and Harry provide all the conditions Smoke needs, while still allowing room for both oKat, vKat and Compound in the same roster. You could probably fit Venin in if you go with a 1 captain roster, but I'd rather grab Mercury in such a situation.

I keep Venin in my nine for the fish and morticians match ups.

Into fish, my team can keep pace goal for goal unless I get an unlucky roll.  As insurance against this, I use VetKat as a brawler to look for take outs.  Venin exists in a space where his two armor is good enough for fish to find annoying and they won't necessarily have the momentum to clear the bleed poison from Coagulate.  Venin can also enable a surprising amount of burst damage from a Sic'Em Naja.

Into morticians, I don't feel comfortable fielding VetKat so I need to win with 3 goals or maybe 2 goals and 2 take outs.  There's enough 1" melee on the team that Venin can do the vital role of dying slowly while also inflicting poison without spending influence.  It's not glamorous but it makes space that the team needs.

He is the most efficient speed bump on the team, I'll give him that. And to be fair, he won me a tournament once with the 8" kick.

You will just have more aggressive options with other players, or batteries that can contribute in other ways than Dying Slowly.

He's a pretty model?

sorry that's about the best I've got. I seldom find myself swimming in momentum such that I'm willing to toss out the bleed, perhaps with crucible pushing up the cost to clear this may be more useful now. 

I mostly have been running flask so havent haven't got the benefit to Naja. Ups the damage but that's all non momentus so again steers me away from the momentum I usually crave. 

And killing myself to make myself harder to kill... wait what! oh I see, use momentum to clear, cross refer earlier momentum craving point.

Maybe it's just how I play but he seems to want the resource I typically find myself in shortest supply of when running alchemists. 

Venin isn't bad by any means he is just pretty meh from an inf spending standpoint. Alchemist's have so many superstars right now that Venin is never the 1st choice to spend INF on. Need to score goals? Midas/Smoke and Vit. Need to Do DMG or convert INF to Momentum, Kat or Harry. 

So far I've used him primarily as an annoyance man marker and dmg sponge which he is pretty effective at with his 2 armor. But he very rarely gets any influence. 

His lack of a strong identity is the main reason of why he gets left on the bench most of the time. Even his synergy with Naja isn't much of a reason to take him. Maybe if he got the DMG and TAC bonus, or had a better playbook. His playbook and stats suggests he is a winger (outside of his 2 dice kick). His character plays and traits suggest man marker/beater. He does non of them very well though, so he is a subpar jack of all trades with his only unique role being a dmg sponge/man marker.

With 1 or 2 small tweaks, he could fulfill one of his roles a bit better and he would see more play. A 3 dice kick would make him a far better winger or 2ndary striker, while more momentus dmg access on his playbook would make him more enticing as a beater. But since Alchemists are already top tier, I doubt we will see buffs to Venin without nerfs to our stars anytime soon.